1. GluckmanPD, HansonMA, CooperC, ThornburgKL (2008) Effect of in utero and early-life conditions on adult health and disease. N Engl J Med 359: 61–73.
2. BlencoweH, CousensS, OestergaardMZ, ChouD, MollerAB, et al. (2012) National, regional, and worldwide estimates of preterm birth rates in the year 2010 with time trends since 1990 for selected countries: a systematic analysis and implications. Lancet 379: 2162–2172.
3. ChangHH, LarsonJ, BlencoweH, SpongCY, HowsonCP, et al. (2013) Preventing preterm births: analysis of trends and potential reductions with interventions in 39 countries with very high human development index. Lancet 381: 223–234.
4. JobeAH (2010) “Miracle” extremely low birth weight neonates: examples of developmental plasticity. Obstet Gynecol 116: 1184–1190.
5. JobeAH (2011) The new bronchopulmonary dysplasia. Curr Opin Pediatr 23: 167–172.
6. ColinAA, McEvoyC, CastileRG (2010) Respiratory morbidity and lung function in preterm infants of 32 to 36 weeks' gestational age. Pediatrics 126: 115–128.
7. KotechaSJ, EdwardsMO, WatkinsWJ, HendersonAJ, ParanjothyS, et al. (2013) Effect of preterm birth on later FEV1: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Thorax 68: 760–766.
8. BrostromEB, AkreO, Katz-SalamonM, JarajD, KaijserM (2013) Obstructive pulmonary disease in old age among individuals born preterm. Eur J Epidemiol 28: 79–85.
9. JaakkolaJJ, AhmedP, IeromnimonA, GoepfertP, LaiouE, et al. (2006) Preterm delivery and asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 118: 823–830.
10. AnandanC, NurmatovU, van SchayckOC, SheikhA (2010) Is the prevalence of asthma declining? Systematic review of epidemiological studies. Allergy 65: 152–167.
11. RobisonRG, SinghAM (2013) Chapter 11: the infant and toddler with wheezing. Allergy Asthma Proc 33: S36–S38.
12. (2013) Trip [database]. Available: http://www.tripdatabase.com. Accessed 22 September 2013.
13. NurmatovU, DevereuxG, SheikhA (2011) Nutrients and foods for the primary prevention of asthma and allergy: systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 127: 724–733.
14. Effective Public Health Practice Project (2013) Quality assessment tool for quantitative studies. Available: http://www.ephpp.ca/PDF/Quality%20Assessment%20Tool_2010_2.pdf. Accessed 2 May 2013.
15. Higgins JP, Green S (2011) Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Oxford: The Cochrane Collaboration.
16. BerlinJA, LongneckerMP, GreenlandS (1993) Meta-analysis of epidemiologic dose-response data. Epidemiology 4: 218–228.
17. RockhillB, NewmanB, WeinbergC (1998) Use and misuse of population attributable fractions. Am J Public Health 88: 15–19.
18. AlmB, ErdesL, MollborgP, PetterssonR, NorveniusSG, et al. (2008) Neonatal antibiotic treatment is a risk factor for early wheezing. Pediatrics 121: 697–702.
19. Alvarez MingoranceP, Buron MartinezE, Blanco QuirosA (2011) Morbilidad de los niños prematuros en edad escolar (II): patología respiratoria, alteraciones del crecimiento y presión arterial. Acta Pediatr Esp 69: 235–240.
20. AspbergS, DahlquistG, KahanT, KallenB (2010) Confirmed association between neonatal phototherapy or neonatal icterus and risk of childhood asthma. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 21: e733–e739.
21. BérardA, Le TiecM, De VeraMA (2012) Study of the costs and morbidities of late-preterm birth. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 97: F329–F334.
22. BoyleEM, PoulsenG, FieldDJ, KurinczukJJ, WolkeD, et al. (2012) Effects of gestational age at birth on health outcomes at 3 and 5 years of age: population based cohort study. BMJ 344: e896.
23. BrehmJM, Acosta-PerezE, KleiL, RoederK, BarmadaM, et al. (2012) Vitamin D insufficiency and severe asthma exacerbations in Puerto Rican children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 186: 140–146.
24. Castro-RodriguezJA, Garcia-MarcosL, Sanchez-SolisM, Perez-FernandezV, Martinez-TorresA, et al. (2010) Olive oil during pregnancy is associated with reduced wheezing during the first year of life of the offspring. Pediatr Pulmonol 45: 395–402.
25. CheraghiM, DadgarinejadA, SalviS (2012) A cross-sectional study to find prevalence and risk factors for childhood asthma in Pune City, India. ISRN Public Health 2012: 361456.
26. CivelekE, CakirB, OrhanF, YukselH, BozAB, et al. (2011) Risk factors for current wheezing and its phenotypes among elementary school children. Pediatr Pulmonol 46: 166–174.
27. CollierCH, RisnesK, NorwitzER, BrackenMB, IlluzziJL (2013) Maternal infection in pregnancy and risk of asthma in offspring. Matern Child Health J 17: 1940–1950 doi: 10.1007/s10995-013-1220-2
28. EscobarGJ, RaginsA, LiSX, PragerL, MasaquelAS, et al. (2010) Recurrent wheezing in the third year of life among children born at 32 weeks' gestation or later: relationship to laboratory-confirmed, medically attended infection with respiratory syncytial virus during the first year of life. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164: 915–922.
29. FawkeJ, LumS, KirkbyJ, HennessyE, MarlowN, et al. (2010) Lung function and respiratory symptoms at 11 years in children born extremely preterm: the EPICure study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182: 237–245.
30. GessnerBD, ChimonasMA (2007) Asthma is associated with preterm birth but not with small for gestational age status among a population-based cohort of Medicaid-enrolled children <10 years of age. Thorax 62: 231–236.
31. GetahunD, StricklandD, ZeigerRS, FassettMJ, ChenW, et al. (2010) Effect of chorioamnionitis on early childhood asthma. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164: 187–192.
32. GormanBK, LandaleNS (2005) Premature birth and asthma among young Puerto Rican children. Popul Res Policy Rev 24: 335–358.
33. GoyalNK, FiksAG, LorchSA (2011) Association of late-preterm birth with asthma in young children: practice-based study. Pediatrics 128: e830–e838.
34. HennessyEM, BracewellMA, WoodN, WolkeD, CosteloeK, et al. (2008) Respiratory health in pre-school and school age children following extremely preterm birth. Arch Dis Child 93: 1037–1043.
35. JoshiS, PowellT, WatkinsWJ, DraytonM, WilliamsEM, et al. (2013) Exercise-induced bronchoconstriction in school-aged children who had chronic lung disease in infancy. J Pediatr 162: 813–818.
36. KällénB, FinnstromO, NygrenKG, Otterblad OlaussonP (2013) Association between preterm birth and intrauterine growth retardation and child asthma. Eur Respir J 41: 671–676.
37. KangEM, LundsbergLS, IlluzziJL, BrackenMB (2009) Prenatal exposure to acetaminophen and asthma in children. Obstet Gynecol 114: 1295–1306.
38. KoshyG, AkroufKA, KellyY, DelpishehA, BrabinBJ (2013) Asthma in children in relation to pre-term birth and fetal growth restriction. Matern Child Health J 17: 1119–1126.
39. KumarR, YuY, StoryRE, PongracicJA, GuptaR, et al. (2008) Prematurity, chorioamnionitis, and the development of recurrent wheezing: a prospective birth cohort study. J Allergy Clin Immunol 121: 878–884.
40. KumarR, TsaiHJ, HongX, GignouxC, PearsonC, et al. (2012) African ancestry, early life exposures, and respiratory morbidity in early childhood. Clin Exp Allergy 42: 265–274.
41. LumS, KirkbyJ, WelshL, MarlowN, HennessyE, et al. (2011) Nature and severity of lung function abnormalities in extremely pre-term children at 11 years of age. Eur Respir J 37: 1199–1207.
42. MiyakeY, TanakaK (2013) Lack of relationship between birth conditions and allergic disorders in Japanese children aged 3 years. J Asthma 50: 555–559.
43. RautavaL, HakkinenU, KorvenrantaE, AnderssonS, GisslerM, et al. (2010) Health and the use of health care services in 5-year-old very-low-birth-weight infants. Acta Paediatr 99: 1073–1079.
44. RobisonRG, KumarR, ArguellesLM, HongX, WangG, et al. (2012) Maternal smoking during pregnancy, prematurity and recurrent wheezing in early childhood. Pediatr Pulmonol 47: 666–673.
45. TaverasEM, CamargoCAJr, Rifas-ShimanSL, OkenE, GoldDR, et al. (2006) Association of birth weight with asthma-related outcomes at age 2 years. Pediatr Pulmonol 41: 643–648.
46. VisserCA, Garcia-MarcosL, EgginkJ, BrandPL (2010) Prevalence and risk factors of wheeze in Dutch infants in their first year of life. Pediatr Pulmonol 45: 149–156.
47. VogtH, LindstromK, BrabackL, HjernA (2011) Preterm birth and inhaled corticosteroid use in 6- to 19-year-olds: a Swedish national cohort study. Pediatrics 127: 1052–1059.
48. VrijlandtEJ, KerstjensJM, DuivermanEJ, BosAF, ReijneveldSA (2013) Moderate preterm children have more respiratory problems during their first five years of life than children born full term. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 187: 1234–1240.
49. WelshL, KirkbyJ, LumS, OdendaalD, MarlowN, et al. (2009) The EPICure study: maximal exercise and physical activity in school children born extremely preterm. Thorax 65: 165–172.
50. YangKD, OuCY, ChangJC, ChenRF, LiuCA, et al. (2007) Infant frequent wheezing correlated to Clara cell protein 10 (CC10) polymorphism and concentration, but not allergy sensitization, in a perinatal cohort study. J Allergy Clin Immunol 120: 842–848.
51. YuanW, FonagerK, OlsenJ, SorensenHT (2003) Prenatal factors and use of anti-asthma medications in early childhood: a population-based Danish birth cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol 18: 763–768.
52. AlgertCS, BowenJR, LainSL, AllenHD, Vivian-TaylorJM, et al. (2011) Pregnancy exposures and risk of childhood asthma admission in a population birth cohort. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 22: 836–842.
53. KoshyG, DelpishehA, BrabinBJ (2010) Trends in prevalence of childhood and parental asthma in Merseyside, 1991–2006. J Public Health (Oxf) 32: 488–495.
54. Sonnenschein-van der VoortAM, JaddoeVW, RaatH, MollHA, HofmanA, et al. (2012) Fetal and infant growth and asthma symptoms in preschool children: the Generation R Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185: 731–737.
55. OrtqvistAK, LundholmC, CarlstromE, LichtensteinP, CnattingiusS, et al. (2009) Familial factors do not confound the association between birth weight and childhood asthma. Pediatrics 124: e737–e743.
56. EscobarGJ, MasaquelAS, LiSX, WalshEM, KipnisP (2013) Persistent recurrent wheezing in the fifth year of life after laboratory confirmed, medically attended respiratory syncytial virus infection in infancy. BMC Pediatr 13: 97.
57. FaurouxB, GouyonJB, RozeJC, Guillermet-FromentinC, GlorieuxI, et al. (2013) Respiratory morbidity of preterm infants of less than 33 weeks gestation without bronchopulmonary dysplasia: a 12-month follow-up of the CASTOR study cohort. Epidemiol Infect E-pub ahead of print. doi:10.1017/S0950268813001738
58. HerreraAB, RodriguezLA, NiederbacherJ (2011) Contaminación biológica intradomiciliaria y su relación con síntomas respiratorios indicativos de asma bronquial en preescolares de Bucaramanga, Colombia. Biomédica 31: 357–371.
59. NantandaR, OstergaardMS, NdeeziG, TumwineJK (2013) Factors associated with asthma among under-fives in Mulago hospital, Kampala Uganda: a cross sectional study. BMC Pediatr 13: 141.
60. RuckerG, SchwarzerG, CarpenterJR, SchumacherM (2008) Undue reliance on I(2) in assessing heterogeneity may mislead. BMC Med Res Methodol 8: 79.
61. HaglundB (2007) Birthweight distributions by gestational age: comparison of LMP-based and ultrasound-based estimates of gestational age using data from the Swedish Birth Registry. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 21 (Suppl 2) 72–78.
62. BeenJV, SheikhA (2013) Gestational age misclassification and its effect on disease outcomes after preterm birth. Eur J Epidemiol 28: 525–526.
63. VollsaeterM, RoksundOD, EideGE, MarkestadT, HalvorsenT (2013) Lung function after preterm birth: development from mid-childhood to adulthood. Thorax 68: 767–776.
64. GoldenbergRL, CulhaneJF, IamsJD, RomeroR (2008) Epidemiology and causes of preterm birth. Lancet 371: 75–84.
65. StrandLB, BarnettAG, TongS (2011) The influence of season and ambient temperature on birth outcomes: a review of the epidemiological literature. Environ Res 111: 451–462.
66. CulhaneJF, GoldenbergRL (2011) Racial disparaties in preterm birth. Semin Perinatol 35: 234–239.
67. StocksJ, HislopA, SonnappaS (2013) Early lung development: lifelong effect on respiratory health and disease. Lancet Respir Med 1: 728–742 doi:10.1016/S2213-2600(13)70118-8
68. GantertM, BeenJV, GavilanesAW, GarnierY, ZimmermannLJ, et al. (2010) Chorioamnionitis: a multiorgan disease of the fetus? J Perinatol 30 (Suppl) S21–S30.
69. HolgateST (2012) Innate and adaptive immune responses in asthma. Nat Med 18: 673–683.
70. BeenJV, RoursIG, KornelisseRF, JonkersF, de KrijgerRR, et al. (2010) Chorioamnionitis alters the response to surfactant in preterm infants. J Pediatr 156: 10–15.
71. BusseWW, LemanskeRF, GernJE (2010) Role of viral respiratory infections in asthma and asthma exacerbations. Lancet 376: 826–834.
72. LahraMM, BeebyPJ, JefferyHE (2009) Intrauterine inflammation, neonatal sepsis, and chronic lung disease: a 13-year hospital cohort study. Pediatrics 123: 1314–1319.
73. SuMW, TungKY, LiangPH, TsaiCH, KuoNW, et al. (2012) Gene-gene and gene-environmental interactions of childhood asthma: a multifactor dimension reduction approach. PLoS ONE 7: e30694 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0030694
74. LarsenPS, Kamper-JorgensenM, AdamsonA, BarrosH, BondeJP, et al. (2013) Pregnancy and birth cohort resources in Europe: a large opportunity for aetiological child health research. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 27: 393–414.
75. BlankenMO, RoversMM, MolenaarJM, Winkler-SeinstraPL, MeijerA, et al. (2013) Respiratory syncytial virus and recurrent wheeze in healthy preterm infants. N Engl J Med 368: 1791–1799.
76. AlfalehK, AnabreesJ, BasslerD, Al-KharfiT (2011) Probiotics for prevention of necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011: CD005496.
77. ManzoniP, RinaldiM, CattaniS, PugniL, RomeoMG, et al. (2009) Bovine lactoferrin supplementation for prevention of late-onset sepsis in very low-birth-weight neonates: a randomized trial. JAMA 302: 1421–1428.