1. World Health Organization, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2010) Preventing intimate partner and sexual violence against women: taking action and generating evidence. Geneva: World Health Organization. 94 p.
2. UK Home Office (2012) Home Office statistical bulletin: homicides, firearm offences and intimate violence 2010/11: supplementary volume 2 to crime in England and Wales 2010/11. Available: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/116483/hosb0212.pdf. Accessed 10 March 2013.
3. Black M, Basile K, Breiding M, Smith S, Walters M, et al.. (2010) National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey: 2010 summary report. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs_report2010-a.pdf. Accessed 10 March 2013.
4. Krug EG, Dahlberg LL, Mercy JA, Zwi AB, Lozano R, editors (2002) World report on violence and health. Geneva: World Health Organization. 346 p.
5. CampbellJC (2002) Health consequences of intimate partner violence. Lancet 359: 1331–1336.
6. DevriesKM, MakJY, BacchusLJ, ChildJC, FalderG, et al. (2013) Intimate partner violence and incident depressive symptoms and suicide attempts: a systematic review of longitudinal studies. PLoS Med 10: e1001439 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001439
7. HowardLM, OramS, GalleyH, TrevillionK, FederG (2013) Domestic violence and perinatal mental disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med 10: e1001452 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001452
8. SilvermanJG, DeckerMR, ReedE, RajA (2006) Intimate partner violence victimization prior to and during pregnancy among women residing in 26 U.S. states: associations with maternal and neonatal health. Am J Obstet Gynecol 195: 140–148.
9. Lewis G, editor (2007) Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health. Saving mothers' lives: revisiting maternal deaths to make motherhood safer—2003–2005. The seventh report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health.
10. CantwellR, Clutton-BrockT, CooperG, DawsonA, DrifeJ, et al. (2011) Saving mothers' lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2006–2008. The eighth report of the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. BJOG 118 (Suppl 1) 1–203.
11. AbrahamsN, MathewsS, MartinLJ, LombardC, JewkesR (2013) Intimate partner femicide in South Africa in 1999 and 2009. PLoS Med 10: e1001412 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001412
12. StöcklH, DevriesK, RotsteinA, AbrahamsN, CampbellJ, et al. (2013) The global prevalence of intimate partner homicide: a systematic review. Lancet 382: 859–865.
13. DevriesK, WattsC, YoshihamaM, KissL, SchraiberLB, et al. (2011) Violence against women is strongly associated with suicide attempts: evidence from the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence against women. Soc Sci Med 73: 79–86.
14. FederG, DaviesRA, BairdK, DunneD, EldridgeS, et al. (2011) Identification and referral to improve safety (IRIS) of women experiencing domestic violence with a primary care training and support programme: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 378: 1788–1795.
15. UK Department of Health (2004 October 20) Health minister announces new steps to aid victims of domestic violence. London: UK Department of Health. Available: https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk//www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Pressreleases/DH_4091530. Accessed 18 March 2012.
16. ACOG Committee opinion No. 518: intimate partner violence. Obstet Gynecol 119: 412–417.
17. RamsayJ, RichardsonJ, CarterYH, DavidsonLL, FederG (2002) Should health professionals screen women for domestic violence? Systematic review. BMJ 325: 314.
18. AstonG, BewleyS (2009) Abortion and domestic violence. Obstetrician Gynaecologist 11: 163–168.
19. Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (2013) Appraising the evidence. Available: http://www.casp-uk.net/find-appraise-act/appraising-the-evidence/. Accessed 10 March 2013.
20. OramS, StocklH, BuszaJ, HowardLM, ZimmermanC (2012) Prevalence and risk of violence and the physical, mental, and sexual health problems associated with human trafficking: systematic review. PLoS Med 9: e1001224 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001224
21. DerSimonianR, LairdN (1986) Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials 7: 177–188.
22. Garcia-Moreno C, Jansen HA, Ellsberg M, Heise L, Watts C (2005) WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence against women: initial response on prevalence, health outcomes and women's responses. Geneva: World Health Organization.
23. KnappG, HartungJ (2003) Improved tests for a random effects meta-regression with a single covariate. Stat Med 22: 2693–2710.
24. EggerM, Davey SmithG, SchneiderM, MinderC (1997) Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ 315: 629–634.
25. FergussonDM, BodenJM, HorwoodL (2007) Abortion among young women and subsequent life outcomes. Perspect Sex Reprod Health 39: 6–12.
26. TaftAJ, WatsonLF (2007) Termination of pregnancy: associations with partner violence and other factors in a national cohort of young Australian women. Aust N Z J Public Health 31: 135–142.
27. StensonK, HeimerG, LundhC, NordstromML, SaarinenH, et al. (2001) The prevalence of violence investigated in a pregnant population in Sweden. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 22: 189–197.
28. GeeRE, MitraN, WanF, ChavkinDE, LongJA (2009) Power over parity: intimate partner violence and issues of fertility control. Am J Obstet Gynecol 201: 148e1–7.
29. RomitoP, Escriba-AguirV, PomicinoL, LucchettaC, ScriminF, et al. (2009) Violence in the lives of women in Italy who have an elective abortion. Womens Health Issues 19: 335–343.
30. BourassaD, BerubeJ (2007) The prevalence of intimate partner violence among women and teenagers seeking abortion compared with those continuing pregnancy. J Obstet Gynaecol Can 29: 415–423.
31. LipskyS, HoltVL, EasterlingTR, CritchlowCW (2005) Police-reported intimate partner violence during pregnancy: who is at risk? Violence Vict 20: 69–86.
32. Helweg-LarsenK, KruseM (2003) Violence against women and consequent health problems: a register-based study. Scand J Public Health 31: 51–57.
33. LeungTW, LeungWC, ChanPL, HoPC (2002) A comparison of the prevalence of domestic violence between patients seeking termination of pregnancy and other general gynecology patients. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 77: 47–54.
34. YiminC, ShouqingLI, ArzhuQU, YukeZ, JianhuaW, et al. (2002) Sexual coercion among adolescent women seeking abortion in China. J Adolesc Health 31: 482–486.
35. YiminC, BaohuaK, TieyanW, XuejunH, HuanS, et al. (2001) Case-controlled study on relevant factors of adolescent sexual coercion in China. Contraception 64: 77–80.
36. JonesRK, FrohwirthL, MooreAM (2013) More than poverty: disruptive events among women having abortions in the USA. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 39: 36–43.
37. ElyGE, NugentWR, CerelJ, VimbbaM (2011) The relationship between suicidal thinking and dating violence in a sample of adolescent abortion patients. Crisis 32: 246–253.
38. ElyGE, OtisMD (2011) An examination of intimate partner violence and psychological stressors in adult abortion patients. J Interpers Violence 26: 3248–3266.
39. JonesRK, MooreAM, FrohwirthLF (2011) Perceptions of male knowledge and support among U.S. women obtaining abortions. Womens Health Issues 21: 117–123.
40. JonesR, FinerL (2012) Who has second-trimester abortions in the United States? Contraception 85: 544–551.
41. RothL, SheederJ, TealSB (2011) Predictors of intimate partner violence in women seeking medication abortion. Contraception 85: 76–80.
42. SteinbergJR, FinerLB (2011) Examining the association of abortion history and current mental health: a reanalysis of the National Comorbidity Survey using a common-risk-factors model. Soc Sci Med 72: 72–82.
43. SaftlasAF, WallisAB, ShochetT, HarlandKK, DickeyP, et al. (2010) Prevalence of intimate partner violence among an abortion clinic population. Am J Public Health 100: 1412–1415.
44. SilvermanJG, DeckerMR, McCauleyHL, GuptaJ, MillerE, et al. (2010) Male perpetration of intimate partner violence and involvement in abortions and abortion-related conflict. Am J Public Health 100: 1415–1417.
45. Thiel de BocanegraH, RostovtsevaDP, KheraS, GodhwaniN (2010) Birth control sabotage and forced sex: experiences reported by women in domestic violence shelters. Violence Against Women 16: 601–612.
46. ColemanP, RueV, CoyleC (2009) Induced abortion and intimate relationship quality in the Chicago Health and Social Life Survey. Public Health 123: 331–338.
47. ElyGE, NugentWR, FlahertyC (2009) The relationship between dating violence and psychosocial problems in a sample of adolescent pregnancy termination patients. Violence Vict 24: 577–590.
48. PragerSW, SteinauerJE, FosterDG, DarneyPD, DreyEA (2007) Risk factors for repeat elective abortion. Am J Obstet Gynecol 197: 575.e1–6.
49. KaziS, ReevesMF, CreininMD (2008) The prevalence of domestic violence in volunteers for abortion and contraceptive research studies. Contraception 78: 79–83.
50. FinerLB, FrohwirthLF, DauphineeLA, SinghS, MooreAM (2005) Reasons U.S. women have abortions: quantitative and qualitative perspectives. Perspect Sex Reprod Health 37: 110–118.
51. FisherWA, SinghSS, ShuperPA, CareyM, OtchetF, et al. (2005) Characteristics of women undergoing repeat induced abortion. CMAJ 172: 637–641.
52. HathawayJE, WillisG, ZimmerB, SilvermanJG (2005) Impact of partner abuse on women's reproductive lives. J Am Med Womens Assoc 60: 42–45.
53. RajA, LiuR, McCleary-SillsJ, SilvermanJG (2005) South Asian victims of intimate partner violence more likely than non-victims to report sexual health concerns. J Immigr Health 7: 85–91.
54. WooJ, FineP, GoetzlL (2005) Abortion disclosure and the association with domestic violence. Obstet Gynecol 105: 1329–1334.
55. JanssenPA, HoltVL, SuggNK, EmanuelI, CritchlowCM, et al. (2003) Intimate partner violence and adverse pregnancy outcomes: a population-based study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 188: 1341–1347.
56. WinnN, RecordsK, RiceM (2003) The relationship between abuse, sexually transmitted diseases, & group B streptococcus in childbearing women. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 28: 106–110.
57. WiebeER, JanssenP (2001) Universal screening for domestic violence in abortion. Womens Health Issues 11: 436–441.
58. LetourneauEJ, HolmesM, Chasedunn-RoarkJ (1999) Gynecologic health consequences to victims of interpersonal violence. Womens Health Issues 9: 115–120.
59. GlanderSS, MooreML, MichielutteR, ParsonsLH (1998) The prevalence of domestic violence among women seeking abortion. Obstet Gynecol 91: 1002–1006.
60. EvinsG, ChescheirN (1996) Prevalence of domestic violence among women seeking abortion services. Womens Health Issues 6: 204–210.
61. HolmesMM, ResnickHS, KilpatrickDG, BestCL (1996) Rape-related pregnancy: estimates and descriptive characteristics from a national sample of women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 175: 320–324.
62. TorresA, ForrestJD (1988) Why do women have abortions? Fam Plann Perspect 20: 169–176.
63. BorinsEF, ForsythePJ (1985) Past trauma and present functioning of patients attending a women's psychiatric clinic. Am J Psychiatry 142: 460–463.
64. DinizNM, GesteiraSM, LopesRL, Santos MotaR, PerezBA, et al. (2011) [Voluntary abortion and domestic violence among women attended at a public maternity hospital of Salvador-BA.]. Rev Bras Enferm 64: 1010–1015.
65. LaanpereM, RingmetsI, PartK, KarroH (2013) Intimate partner violence and sexual health outcomes: a population-based study among 16–44-year-old women in Estonia. Eur J Public Health 23: 688–693.
66. MakenziusM, TydenT, DarjE, LarssonM (2012) Risk factors among men who have repeated experience of being the partner of a woman who requests an induced abortion. Scand J Public Health 40: 211–216.
67. JohnsonJK, JohnR, HumeraA, KukrejaS, FoundM, et al. (2007) The prevalence of emotional abuse in gynaecology patients and its association with gynaecological symptoms. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 133: 95–99.
68. JohnR, JohnsonJK, KukrejaS, FoundM, LindowSW (2004) Domestic violence: prevalence and association with gynaecological symptoms. BJOG 111: 1128–1132.
69. KeelingJ, BirchL, GreenP (2004) Pregnancy counselling clinic: a questionnaire survey of intimate partner abuse. J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 30: 165–168.
70. ZsuzsaG, JenoL, SzilviaA, MariaK (2004) [The psycho-social background factors of induced abortions based on a representative national survey.]. Lege Artis Med 14: 512–519.
71. HedinLW, JansonPO (2000) Domestic violence during pregnancy. The prevalence of physical injuries, substance use, abortions and miscarriages. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 79: 625–630.
72. PallittoCC, Garcia-MorenoC, JansenHAFM, HeiseL, EllsbergM, et al. (2013) Intimate partner violence, abortion, and unintended pregnancy: results from the WHO Multi-country Study on Women's Health and Domestic Violence. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 120: 3–9.
73. AntaiD, AdajiS (2012) Community-level influences on women's experience of intimate partner violence and terminated pregnancy in Nigeria: a multilevel analysis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12: 128.
74. StöcklH, FilippiV, WattsC, MbwamboJK (2012) Induced abortion, pregnancy loss and intimate partner violence in Tanzania: a population based study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12: 12.
75. AlioAP, SalihuHM, NanaPN, ClaytonHB, MbahAK, et al. (2011) Association between intimate partner violence and induced abortion in Cameroon. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 112: 83–87.
76. OkenwaL, LawokoS, JanssonB (2011) Contraception, reproductive health and pregnancy outcomes among women exposed to intimate partner violence in Nigeria. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care 16: 18–25.
77. EmenikeE, LawokoS, DalalK (2008) Intimate partner violence and reproductive health of women in Kenya. Int Nurs Rev 55: 97–102.
78. KayeDK, MirembeFM, BantebyaG, JohanssonA, EkstromAM (2006) Domestic violence as risk factor for unwanted pregnancy and induced abortion in Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Uganda. Trop Med Int Health 11: 90–101.
79. KayeDK, MirembeF, BantebyaG, JohanssonA, EkstromAM (2005) Reasons, methods used and decision-making for pregnancy termination among adolescents and older women in Mulago Hospital, Uganda. East Afr Med J 82: 579–585.
80. KayeD (2001) Domestic violence among women seeking post-abortion care. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 75: 323–325.
81. NairS, RajA, SaggurtiN, NaikDD, DasguptaA, et al. (2013) Reproductive health concerns of women contending with spousal violence and husband's alcohol use in a Mumbai slum community. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 122: 268–269.
82. NguyenPH, NguyenSV, NguyenMQ, NguyenNT, KeithlySC, et al. (2012) The association and a potential pathway between gender-based violence and induced abortion in Thai Nguyen province, Vietnam. Glob Health Action 5: 1–11.
83. ShahN, HossainN, NoonariM, KhanNH (2011) Maternal mortality and morbidity of unsafe abortion in a university teaching hospital of Karachi, Pakistan. J Pak Med Assoc 61: 582–586.
84. KalyanwalaS, ZavierAJF, JejeebhoyS, KumarR (2010) Abortion experiences of unmarried young women in India: evidence from a facility-based study in Bihar and Jharkhand. Int Perspect Sex Reprod Health 36: 62–71.
85. Lee-RifeSM (2010) Women's empowerment and reproductive experiences over the lifecourse. Soc Sci Med 71: 634–642.
86. SilvermanJG, GuptaJ, DeckerMR, KapurN, RajA (2007) Intimate partner violence and unwanted pregnancy, miscarriage, induced abortion, and stillbirth among a national sample of Bangladeshi women. BJOG 114: 1246–1252.
87. LeungTW, LeungWC, NgEHY, HoPC (2005) Quality of life of victims of intimate partner violence. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 90: 258–262.
88. WuJ, GuoS, QuC (2005) Domestic violence against women seeking induced abortion in China. Contraception 72: 117–121.
89. FanslowJ, SilvaM, WhiteheadA, et al. (2008) Pregnancy outcomes and intimate partner violence in New Zealand. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48: 391–397.
90. WhiteheadA, FanslowJ (2005) Prevalence of family violence amongst women attending an abortion clinic in New Zealand. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 45: 321–324.
91. TaftA, WatsonL, LeeC (2004) Violence against young Australian women and associations with reproductive events: a cross-sectional analysis of a national sample. Aust N Z J Public Health 28: 324–329.
92. WebsterJ, ChandlerJ, BattistuttaD (1996) Pregnancy outcomes and health care use: effects of abuse. Am J Obstet Gynecol 174: 760–767.
93. KalyanwalaS, JejeebhoySJ, ZavierAJF, KumarR (2012) Experiences of unmarried young abortion-seekers in Bihar and Jharkhand, India. Cult, Health Sex 14: 241–255.
94. PuriS, AdamsV, IveyS, NachtigallRD (2011) “There is such a thing as too many daughters, but not too many sons”: qualitative study of son preference and fetal sex selection among Indian immigrants in the United States. Soc Sci Med 72: 1169–1176.
95. WilliamsGB, BrackleyMH (2009) Intimate partner violence, pregnancy and the decision for abortion. Issues Ment Health Nurs 30: 272–278.
96. BeltonS (2007) Borders of fertility: unplanned pregnancy and unsafe abortion in Burmese women migrating to Thailand. Health Care Women Int 28: 419–433.
97. RenkerPR (2002) “Keep a blank face. I need to tell you what has been happening to me.”: teens' stories of abuse and violence before and during pregnancy. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 27: 109–116.
98. SouzaVL, FerreiraSL (2000) [Impact of spouse violence on the decision to have an abortion]. Rev Bras Enferm 53: 375–385.
99. JewkesR, WattsC, AbrahamsN, Penn-KekanaL, Garcia-MorenoC (2000) Ethical and methodological issues in conducting research on gender-based violence in Southern Africa. Reprod Health Matters 8: 93–103.
100. CokerAL (2007) Does physical intimate partner violence affect sexual health? A systematic review. Trauma Violence Abuse 8: 149–177.
101. EllsbergM, JansenHA, HeiseL, WattsCH, Garcia-MorenoC, et al. (2008) Intimate partner violence and women's physical and mental health in the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence: an observational study. Lancet 371: 1165–1172.
102. ShahPS, ShahJ (2010) Knowledge Synthesis Group on Determinants of Preterm LBWB (2010) Maternal exposure to domestic violence and pregnancy and birth outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analyses. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 19: 2017–2031.
103. WuV, HuffH, BhandariM (2010) Pattern of physical injury associated with intimate partner violence in women presenting to the emergency department: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Trauma Violence Abuse 11: 71–82.
104. TrevillionK, OramS, FederG, HowardLM (2012) Experiences of domestic violence and mental disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 7: e51740 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0051740
105. Department of Health (2010/11) Guidance on the NHS standard contract for community services 2010/11. Available: http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130107105354/http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/dh/en/ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_111266.pdf. Accessed 10 March 2013.
106. O'ReillyR, BealeB, GilliesD (2010) Screening and intervention for domestic violence during pregnancy care: a systematic review. Trauma Violence Abuse 11: 190–201.
107. O'CampoP, KirstM, TsamisC, ChambersC, AhmadF (2011) Implementing successful intimate partner violence screening programs in health care settings: evidence generated from a realist-informed systematic review. Soc Sci Med 72: 855–866.
108. Nelson HD, Bougatsos C, Blazina I (2012) Screening women for intimate partner violence and elderly and vulnerable adults for abuse: systematic review to update the 2004 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation. Rockville (Maryland): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
109. MoyerVA (2013) Screening for intimate partner violence and abuse of elderly and vulnerable adults: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Int Med 158: 478–486.
110. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (2013) Domestic violence and abuse—identification and prevention. Available: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/PHG/44. Accessed 3 December 2013.
111. Lee R, Stanko E (2002) Researching violence: methodology and measurement. London: Routledge.
112. RamsayJ, CarterY, DavidsonL, DunneD, EldridgeS, et al. (2009) Advocacy interventions to reduce or eliminate violence and promote the physical and psychosocial well-being of women who experience intimate partner abuse. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009: CD005043.
113. JahanfarS, JanssenPA, HowardLM, DowswellT (2013) Interventions for preventing or reducing domestic violence against pregnant women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013: CD009414.
114. CismaruM, LavackAM (2011) Campaigns targeting perpetrators of intimate partner violence. Trauma Violence Abuse 12: 183–197.
115. Bacchus L, Aston G, Torres Vitolas C, Jordan P, Murray SF (2007) A theory-based evaluation of a multi-agency domestic violence service at Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust. Available: http://www.caada.org.uk/policy/Bacchus-et-al-2007-full-report-MOZAIC.pdf. Accessed 12 December 2013.
116. GranjaAC, ZacariasE, BergstromS (2002) Violent deaths: the hidden face of maternal mortality. BJOG 109: 5–8.
117. GisslerM, BergC, Bouvier-ColleMH, BuekensP (2005) Injury deaths, suicides and homicides associated with pregnancy, Finland 1987–2000. Eur J Public Health 15: 459–463.
118. GrossmanD, EllertsonC, GrimesDA, WalkerD (2004) Routine follow-up visits after first-trimester induced abortion. Obstet Gynecol 103: 738–745.
119. HegartyK, O'DohertyL, TaftA, ChondrosP, BrownS, et al. (2013) Screening and counselling in the primary care setting for women who have experienced intimate partner violence (WEAVE): a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 382: 249–258.
120. JewkesR (2013) Intimate partner violence: the end of routine screening. Lancet 382: 190–191.
121. World Health Organization (2013) Responding to intimate partner violence and sexual violence against women: WHO clinical and policy guidelines. Geneva: World Health Organization.