1. SchumacherM, BastertG, BojarH, HubnerK, OlschewskiM, et al. (1994) Randomized 2×2 trial evaluating hormonal treatment and the duration of chemotherapy in node-positive breast cancer patients. German Breast Cancer Study Group. J Clin Oncol 12: 2086–2093.
2. HemingwayH, CroftP, PerelP, HaydenJA, AbramsK, TimmisA, et al. (2013) Prognosis research strategy (PROGRESS) 1: A framework for researching clinical outcomes. BMJ 346: e5595.
3. RileyRD, SauerbreiW, AltmanDG (2009) Prognostic markers in cancer: the evolution of evidence from single studies to meta-analysis, and beyond. Br J Cancer 100: 1219–1229.
4. AzzatoEM, TyrerJ, FaschingPA, BeckmannMW, EkiciAB, et al. (2010) Association between a germline OCA2 polymorphism at chromosome 15q13.1 and estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer survival. J Natl Cancer Inst 102: 650–662.
5. MostertzW, StevensonM, AcharyaC, ChanI, WaltersK, et al. (2010) Age- and sex-specific genomic profiles in non-small cell lung cancer. JAMA 303: 535–543.
6. RileyRD, HeneyD, JonesDR, SuttonAJ, LambertPC, et al. (2004) A systematic review of molecular and biological tumor markers in neuroblastoma. Clin Cancer Res 10: 4–12.
7. ChouR, ShekelleP (2010) Will this patient develop persistent disabling low back pain? JAMA 303: 1295–1302.
8. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2008) NICE technology appraisal guidance 152: drug-eluting stents for the treatment of coronary artery disease (part review of NICE technology appraisal guidance 71). NICE
9. AltmanDG, RileyRD (2005) An evidence-based approach to prognostic markers. Nature Clin Pract Oncol 2: 466–472.
10. RifaiN, AltmanDG, BossuytPM (2008) Reporting bias in diagnostic and prognostic studies: time for action. Clin Chem 54: 1101–1103.
11. Simon R (2001) Evaluating prognostic factor studies. In: Gospodarowicz MKea, editor. Prognostic factors in cancer. Wiley-Liss. pp. 49–56.
12. Sauerbrei W (2005) Prognostic factors—confusion caused by bad quality of design, analysis and reporting of many studies. In: Bier H, editor. Current research in head and neck cancer. Advances in otorhinolaryngology. Karger. pp. 184–200.
13. Von KorffM, MigliorettiDL (2005) A prognostic approach to defining chronic pain. Pain 117: 304–313.
14. SubramanianJ, SimonR (2010) Gene expression-based prognostic signatures in lung cancer: ready for clinical use? J Natl Cancer Inst 102: 464–474.
15. De BoerM, van DeurzenCH, van DijckJA, BormGF, van DiestPJ, et al. (2009) Micrometastases or isolated tumor cells and the outcome of breast cancer. N Engl J Med 361: 653–663.
16. SteyerbergEW, MushkudianiN, PerelP, ButcherI, LuJ, et al. (2008) Predicting outcome after traumatic brain injury: Development and international validation of prognostic scores based on admission characteristics. PLoS Med 5: e165 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0050165.
17. SteyerbergEW, MoonsKGM, van der WindtDA, HaydenJA, PerelP, et al. (2013) Prognosis research strategy (PROGRESS) 3: prognostic model research. PLoS Med 10: e1001381 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001381.
18. TrusheimMR, BerndtER, DouglasFL (2007) Stratified medicine: strategic and economic implications of combining drugs and clinical biomarkers. Nat Rev Drug Discov 6: 287–293.
19. National Institute for Clinical Excellence (2010) NICE technology appraisal guidance 192: Gefitinib for the first-line treatment of locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. NICE
20. ClarkGM (2008) Prognostic factors versus predictive factors: examples from a clinical trial of erlotinib. Mol Oncol 1: 406–412.
21. HingoraniA, van der WindtDA, RileyRD, AbramsK, MoonsKGM, SteyerbergEW, et al. (2013) Prognosis research strategy (PROGRESS) 4: stratified medicine research. BMJ 346: e5793.
22. LassereMN, JohnsonKR, BoersM, TugwellP, BrooksP, et al. (2007) Definitions and validation criteria for biomarkers and surrogate endpoints: development and testing of a quantitative hierarchical levels of evidence schema. J Rheumatol 34: 607–615.
23. MoonsKG (2010) Criteria for scientific evaluation of novel markers: a perspective. Clin Chem 56: 537–541.
24. Executive summary: standards of medical care in diabetes—2011 (2011) Diabetes Care. (suppl 1): S4–10.
25. RenehanAG, EggerM, SaundersMP, O'DwyerST (2002) Impact on survival of intensive follow up after curative resection for colorectal cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised trials. BMJ 324: 813.
26. PincusT, VogelS, BurtonAK, SantosR, FieldAP (2006) Fear avoidance and prognosis in back pain. Arthritis Rheum 54: 3999–4010.
27. IlesRA, DavidsonM, TaylorNF (2008) Psychosocial predictors of failure to return to work in non-chronic non-specific low back pain: a systematic review. Occup Environ Med 65: 507–517.
28. PicavetHS, VlaeyenJW, SchoutenJS (2002) Pain catastrophizing and kinesiophobia: predictors of chronic low back pain. Am J Epidemiol 156: 1028–1034.
29. FritzJM, GeorgeSZ, DelittoA (2001) The role of fear-avoidance beliefs in acute low back pain: relationships with current and future disability and work status. Pain 94: 7–15.
30. Von KorffM, BaldersonBH, SaundersK, MigliorettiDL, LinEH, et al. (2005) A trial of an activating intervention for chronic back pain in primary care and physical therapy settings. Pain 113: 323–330.
31. ShahAD, NicholasO, TimmisAD, FederG, AbramsKR, et al. (2011) Threshold haemoglobin levels and the prognosis of stable coronary disease: two new cohorts and a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Med 8: e1000439 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000439.
32. MarmarouA, LuJ, ButcherI, McHughGS, MushkudianiNA, et al. (2007) IMPACT database of traumatic brain injury: design and description. J Neurotrauma 24: 239–250.
33. Van BeekJGM, MushkudianiNA, SteyerbergEW, ButcherI, McHughGS, et al. (2007) Prognostic value of admission laboratory parameters in traumatic brain injury: results from the IMPACT study. J Neurotrauma 24: 315–328.
34. HaydenJA, CôtéP, SteenstraIA, BombardierC (2008) QUIPS-LBP Working Group (2008) Identifying phases of investigation helps planning, appraising, and applying the results of explanatory prognosis studies. J Clin Epidemiol 61: 552–560.
35. WaldDS, WaldNJ, MorrisJK, LawM (2006) Folic acid, homocysteine, and cardiovascular disease: judging causality in the face of inconclusive trial evidence. BMJ 333: 1114–1117.
36. MaasAI, MarmarouA, MurrayGD, TeasdaleSG, SteyerbergEW (2007) Prognosis and clinical trial design in traumatic brain injury: the IMPACT study. J Neurotrauma 24: 232–238.
37. RoystonP, AltmanDG, SauerbreiW (2006) Dichotomizing continuous predictors in multiple regression: a bad idea. Stat Med 25: 127–141.
38. HernandezAV, EijkemansMJ, SteyerbergEW (2006) Randomized controlled trials with time-to-event outcomes: how much does prespecified covariate adjustment increase power? Ann Epidemiol 16: 41–48.
39. MaasAI, SteyerbergEW, MarmarouA, McHughGS, LingsmaHF, et al. (2010) IMPACT recommendations for improving the design and analysis of clinical trials in moderate to severe traumatic brain injury. Neurotherapeutics 7: 127–134.
40. RoozenbeekB, MaasAI, LingsmaHF, ButcherI, LuJ, et al. (2009) Baseline characteristics and statistical power in randomized controlled trials: selection, prognostic targeting, or covariate adjustment? Crit Care Med 37: 2683–2690.
41. AltmanDG, LymanGH (1998) Methodological challenges in the evaluation of prognostic factors in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 52: 289–303.
42. DupuyA, SimonRM (2007) Critical review of published microarray studies for cancer outcome and guidelines on statistical analysis and reporting. J Natl Cancer Inst 99: 147–157.
43. TinkerAV, BoussioutasA, BowtellDD (2006) The challenges of gene expression microarrays for the study of human cancer. Cancer Cell 9: 333–339.
44. Holländer N, Sauerbrei W (2006) On statistical approaches for the multivariable analysis of prognostic factor studies. In: Auget J-L, Balakrishnan N, Mesbah M, Molenberghs G, editors. Advances in statistical methods for the health sciences. Birkhäuser. pp. 19–38.
45. SimonR, AltmanDG (1994) Statistical aspects of prognostic factor studies in oncology. Br J Cancer 69: 979–985.
46. HemingwayH, RileyRD, AltmanDG (2009) Ten steps towards improving prognosis research. BMJ 339: b4184.
47. Schumacher M, Holländer N, Schwarzer G, Sauerbrei W (2006) Prognostic factor studies. In: Crowley J, Ankerst DP, editors. Handbook of statistics in clinical oncology. 2nd ed. Chapman & Hall/CRC Press. pp. 289–333.
48. AltmanDG, LausenB, SauerbreiW, SchumacherM (1994) Dangers of using “optimal” cutpoints in the evaluation of prognostic factors. J Natl Cancer Inst 86: 829–835.
49. RileyRD, AbramsKR, SuttonAJ, LambertPC, JonesDR, et al. (2003) Reporting of prognostic markers: current problems and development of guidelines for evidence-based practice in the future. Br J Cancer 88: 1191–1198.
50. KyzasPA, LoizouKT, IoannidisJP (2005) Selective reporting biases in cancer prognostic factor studies. J Natl Cancer Inst 97: 1043–1055.
51. RileyRD, BurchillSA, AbramsKR, HeneyD, LambertPC, et al. (2003) A systematic review and evaluation of the use of tumour markers in paediatric oncology: Ewing's sarcoma and neuroblastoma. Health Technol Assess 7: 1–162.
52. KyzasPA, Denaxa-KyzaD, IoannidisJP (2007) Almost all articles on cancer prognostic markers report statistically significant results. Eur J Cancer 43: 2559–2579.
53. AltmanDG (2001) Systematic reviews of evaluations of prognostic variables. BMJ 323: 224–228.
54. MalatsN, BustosA, NascimentoCM, FernandezF, RivasM, et al. (2005) P53 as a prognostic marker for bladder cancer: a meta-analysis and review. Lancet Oncol 6: 678–686.
55. HemingwayH, PhilipsonP, ChenR, FitzpatrickNK, DamantJ, et al. (2010) Evaluating the quality of research into a single prognostic biomarker: a systematic review and meta-analysis of 83 studies of C-reactive protein in stable coronary artery disease. PLoS Med 7: e1000286 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000286.
56. ClayFJ, NewsteadSV, McClureRJ (2010) A systematic review of early prognostic factors for return to work following acute orthopaedic trauma. Injury 41: 787–803.
57. KamperSJ, RebbeckTJ, MaherCG, McAuleyJH, SterlingM (2008) Course and prognostic factors of whiplash: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain 138: 617–629.
58. BramerJA, van LingeJH, GrimerRJ, ScholtenRJ (2009) Prognostic factors in localized extremity osteosarcoma: a systematic review. Eur J Surg Oncol 35: 1030–1036.
59. MollerMH, AdamsenS, ThomsenRW, MollerAM (2010) Preoperative prognostic factors for mortality in peptic ulcer perforation: a systematic review. Scand J Gastroenterol 45: 785–805.
60. HaydenJA, ChouR, Hogg-JohnsonS, BombardierC (2009) Systematic reviews of low back pain prognosis had variable methods and results: guidance for future prognosis reviews. J Clin Epidemiol 62: 781–796.
61. HaydenJA, CoteP, BombardierC (2006) Evaluation of the quality of prognosis studies in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med 144: 427–437.
62. RileyRD, RidleyG, WilliamsK, AltmanDG, HaydenJ, et al. (2007) Prognosis research: toward evidence-based results and a Cochrane methods group. J Clin Epidemiol 60: 863–865 author reply 865-866.
63. McShaneLM, AltmanDG, SauerbreiW, TaubeSE, GionM, et al. (2005) REporting recommendations for tumour MARKer prognostic studies (REMARK). Br J Cancer 93: 387–391.
64. RileyRD, LambertPC, Abo-ZaidG (2010) Meta-analysis of individual participant data: rationale, conduct, and reporting. BMJ 340: c221.
65. BlettnerM, SauerbreiW, SchlehoferB, ScheuchenpflugT, FriedenreichC (1999) Traditional reviews, meta-analyses and pooled analyses in epidemiology. Int J Epidemiol 28: 1–9.
66. Abo-ZaidG, SauerbreiW, RileyRD (2012) Individual participant data meta-analysis of prognostic factor studies: state of the art? BMC Med Res Methodol 12: 56.
67. HlatkyMA, GreenlandP, ArnettDK, BallantyneCM, CriquiMH, et al. (2009) Criteria for evaluation of novel markers of cardiovascular risk: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 119: 2408–2416.
68. MoonsKG (2010) Criteria for scientific evaluation of novel markers: a perspective. Clin Chem 56: 537–541.