1. Médecins Sans Frontières. MSF Charter. Available: http://www.msf.org/msf/articles/2011/03/the-medecins-sans-frontieres-charter.cfm. Accessed 17 July 2012.
2. Definition of an older or elderly person: Proposed Working Definition of an Older Person in Africa for the MDS Project. Geneva: WHO. Available: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/ageingdefnolder/en/index.html. Accessed 2 October 2012.
3. ADA, Irish Aid, Age Action Ireland (2012) Ageing & development: a guide for development organisations. Available: http://www.wheel.ie/sites/default/files/Age%20Action%20Ageing%20and%20Development%20Guide-1.pdf. Accessed 2 October 2012.
4. AssefaF, JabarkhilM, SalamaP, SpiegelP (2001) Malnutrition and mortality in Kohistan District, Afghanistan, April 2001. JAMA 286: 2723–2728.
5. SpiegelPB, SalamaP (2000) War and mortality in Kosovo, 1998–99: an epidemiological testimony. Lancet 355: 2204–2209.
6. SalamaP, AssefaF, TalleyL, SpiegelP, Van Der VeenA, et al. (2001) Malnutrition, measles, mortality, and the humanitarian response during a famine in Ethiopia. JAMA 286: 563–571.
7. Médecins Sans Frontières (2012) Older people in crisis: a review of MSFs approach to vulnerability and needs. London: Médecins Sans Frontières. Available: http://www.msf.org.uk/older_people_in_crisis_2012. Accessed 21 October 2012.
8. HelpAge International, IFRC (2011) Guidance on including older people in emergency shelter programmes. Available: http://www.helpage.org/what-we-do/emergencies/guidance-on-including-older-people-in-emergency-shelter-programmes/. Accessed 15 October 2012.
9. HelpAge International, IDMC (2012) The neglected generation: the impact of displacement on older people. Available: http://www.helpage.org/what-we-do/emergencies/the-neglected-generation-the-impact-of-displacement-on-older-people/. Accessed 15 October 2012.
10. Mannan H, Amin M, MacLachlan M, The EquitAble Consortium (2011) The EquiFrame manual. Dublin: The Global Health Press. p. 5.
11. SpiegelP, ChecchiF, ColomboS, PaikE (2010) Health-care needs of people affected by conflict: future trends and changing frameworks. Lancet 375: 9341–9345.
12. ShresthaLB (2000) Population aging in developing countries. Health Aff 19: 204–212.
13. Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat (2010) World population prospects: the 2010 revision. Available: http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/. Accessed 17 July 2012.
14. Samuels F, Wells J (2009) The loss of the middle ground: the impact of crises and HIV and AIDS on ‘skipped-generation’ households. Overseas Development Institute (ODI): Project Briefing: 33, November 2009. Available: http://www.odi.org.uk/resources/docs/5062.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2012.
15. Karunakara UK (2004) The demography of forced migration: displacement and fertility in the West Nile region of northern Uganda and southern Sudan. Johns Hopkins University. DrPH.
16. Harrell-Bond BE (1986) Imposing aid: emergency assistance to refugees. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
17. Wells J (2012) The neglected generation: the impact of displacement on older people. HelpAge International/Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre. Available: http://www.helpage.org/download/4fdf5078382b5. Accessed 17 July 2012.
18. Wells J (2005) Protecting and assisting older people in emergencies. Humanitarian Practice Network. London: Overseas Development Institute (ODI).
19. HelpAge International (2011) Analysis of older people's ongoing vulnerabilities in Sindh, Pakistan. HelpAge International. Available: http://www.helpage.org/download/4fdf5078382b5/. Accessed 2 October 2012.
20. HelpAge International (2008) Older people in Africa: a forgotten generation. HelpAge International. Available http://eng.zivot90.cz/uploads/document/205.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2012.
21. The Sphere Project (2011) The Sphere handbook: humanitarian charter and minimum standards in humanitarian response. Belmont Press.
22. Mazurana D, Benelli P, Gupta H, Walker P (2011) Sex and age matter: improving humanitarian response in emergencies. Feinstein International Center, Tufts University; August 2011.
23. Fritsch P, Myatt M (2011) Nutrition and baseline survey of older people in three refugee camps in Dadaab. HelpAge International. October 2011. Available: data.unhcr.org/horn-of-africa/download.php?id = 729. Accessed 2 October 2012.
24. UN General Assembly (2010) UN General Assembly 65th session. High-level meeting of the General Assembly on the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases. Note by the Secretary-General; 13 September 2010.
25. ChanEY, SondorpE (2008) Including chronic disease care in emergency responses. Humanitarian Exchange Magazine 41 December 2008.
26. GavazziG, HerrmannF, KrauseKH (2004) Aging and infectious diseases in the developing world. Clin Infect Dis 39: 83–91.
27. Kwok J, Swarthout T, Fritsch P, Raza A, Newport M (2012) Loving the older people in times of cholera: preliminary findings from a study to analyse care and outcomes for cholera patients treated by Médecins Sans Frontières Operational Centre Amsterdam in Haiti and Zimbabwe 2008–12. Poster presented at MSF Scientific Day 2012, London. Available: http://issuu.com/msfuk/docs/pdf/1. Accessed 17 July 2012.
28. ChappuisF, AlirolE, WorkuDT, MuellerY (2011) High mortality among older patients treated with pentavalent antimonials for visceral leishmaniasis in East Africa and rationale for switch to liposomal amphotericin B. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55: 455–456.
29. HelpAge International (2012) A study of humanitarian financing for older people and people with disabilities, 2010–2011. HelpAge International, 2012. Available: http://www.helpage.org/download/4f4222be3ce76. Accessed 17 July 2012.
30. HelpAge International (2010) A study of humanitarian financing for older people. Available: www.helpage.org/download/4cd984edb1147/. Accessed 17 July 2012.
31. Hutton D (2008) Older people in emergencies: considerations for action and policy development. WHO. pp. 33–34.