1. JemalA, SiegelR, XuJ, WardE (2010) Cancer statistics, 2010. CA Cancer J Clin 60: 277–300.
2. BandiP, CokkinidesV, SmithRA, JemalA (2012) Trends in colorectal cancer screening with home-based fecal occult blood tests in adults ages 50 to 64 years, 2000–2008. Cancer 118: 5092–5099.
3. SeeffLC, RichardsTB, ShapiroJA, NadelMR, ManninenDL, et al. (2004) How many endoscopies are performed for colorectal cancer screening? Results from CDC's survey of endoscopic capacity. Gastroenterology 127: 1670–1677.
4. Screening for colorectal cancer (2008) U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Ann Intern Med 149: 627–637.
5. LevinB, LiebermanDA, McFarlandB, AndrewsKS, BrooksD, et al. (2008) Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: a joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. Gastroenterology 134: 1570–1595.
6. MullerAD, SonnenbergA (1995) Prevention of colorectal cancer by flexible endoscopy and polypectomy. A case-control study of 32,702 veterans. Ann Intern Med 123: 904–910.
7. SelbyJV, FriedmanGD, QuesenberryCPJr, WeissNS (1992) A case-control study of screening sigmoidoscopy and mortality from colorectal cancer. New Engl J Med 326: 653–657.
8. WinawerSJ, ZauberAG, HoMN, O'BrienMJ, GottliebLS, et al. (1993) Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy. The National Polyp Study Workgroup. New Engl J Med 329: 1977–1981.
9. AtkinWS, EdwardsR, Kralj-HansI, WooldrageK, HartAR, et al. (2010) Once-only flexible sigmoidoscopy screening in prevention of colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 375: 1624–1633.
10. HoffG, GrotmolT, SkovlundE, BretthauerM (2009) Risk of colorectal cancer seven years after flexible sigmoidoscopy screening: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 338: b1846.
11. SchoenRE, PinskyPF, WeissfeldJL, YokochiLA, ChurchT, et al. (2012) Colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality with screening flexible sigmoidoscopy. New Engl J Med 366: 2345–2357.
12. SegnanN, ArmaroliP, BonelliL, RisioM, ScialleroS, et al. (2011) Once-only sigmoidoscopy in colorectal cancer screening: follow-up findings of the Italian Randomized Controlled Trial–SCORE. J Natl Cancer I 103: 1310–1322.
13. MoherD, LiberatiA, TetzlaffJ, AltmanDG (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. J Clin Epidemiol 62: 1006–1012.
14. SchoenfeldP, CookD, HamiltonF, LaineL, MorganD, et al. (1998) An evidence-based approach to gastroenterology therapy. Evidence-Based Gastroenterology Steering Group. Gastroenterology 114: 1318–1325.
15. SussmanJB, HaywardRA (2010) An IV for the RCT: using instrumental variables to adjust for treatment contamination in randomised controlled trials. BMJ 340: c2073.
16. StoopEM, de HaanMC, de WijkersloothTR, BossuytPM, van BallegooijenM, et al. (2012) Participation and yield of colonoscopy versus non-cathartic CT colonography in population-based screening for colorectal cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 13: 55–64.
17. JuchemsM, RomppA, KestlerHA, ErnstA, BrambsHJ, et al. (2010) [A prospective comparison of video colonoscopy and CT colonography in asymptomatic patients screened for colorectal cancer]. Deutsche medizinische Wochenschrift 135: 1656–1661.
18. Khalid-de BakkerCA, JonkersDM, SanduleanuS, de BruineAP, MeijerGA, et al. (2011) Test performance of immunologic fecal occult blood testing and sigmoidoscopy compared with primary colonoscopy screening for colorectal advanced adenomas. Cancer Prev Res 4: 1563–1571.
19. ElwoodJM, AliG, SchlupMM, McNoeB, BarbezatGO, et al. (1995) Flexible sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy for colorectal screening: a randomized trial of performance and acceptability. Cancer Detect Prev 19: 337–347.
20. Parra-BlancoA, Gimeno-GarciaAZ, QuinteroE, NicolasD, MorenoSG, et al. (2010) Diagnostic accuracy of immunochemical versus guaiac faecal occult blood tests for colorectal cancer screening. J Gastroenterol 45: 703–712.
21. ParenteF, MarinoB, DeVecchiN, MorettiR, UcciG, et al. (2009) Faecal occult blood test-based screening programme with high compliance for colonoscopy has a strong clinical impact on colorectal cancer. Br J Surg 96: 533–540.
22. LisiD, HassanC, CrespiM (2010) Participation in colorectal cancer screening with FOBT and colonoscopy: an Italian, multicentre, randomized population study. Dig Liver Dis 42: 371–376.
23. HolL, van LeerdamME, van BallegooijenM, van VuurenAJ, van DekkenH, et al. (2010) Screening for colorectal cancer: randomised trial comparing guaiac-based and immunochemical faecal occult blood testing and flexible sigmoidoscopy. Gut 59: 62–68.
24. SegnanN, SenoreC, AndreoniB, AzzoniA, BisantiL, et al. (2007) Comparing attendance and detection rate of colonoscopy with sigmoidoscopy and FIT for colorectal cancer screening. Gastroenterology 132: 2304–2312.
25. FedericiA, MarinacciC, MangiaM, BorgiaP, Giorgi RossiP, et al. (2006) Is the type of test used for mass colorectal cancer screening a determinant of compliance? A cluster-randomized controlled trial comparing fecal occult blood testing with flexible sigmoidoscopy. Cancer Detect Prev 30: 347–353.
26. WeissfeldJL, SchoenRE, PinskyPF, BresalierRS, ChurchT, et al. (2005) Flexible sigmoidoscopy in the PLCO cancer screening trial: results from the baseline screening examination of a randomized trial. J Natl Cancer I 97: 989–997.
27. SegnanN, SenoreC, AndreoniB, ArrigoniA, BisantiL, et al. (2005) Randomized trial of different screening strategies for colorectal cancer: patient response and detection rates. J Natl Cancer I 97: 347–357.
28. MaxwellAE, BastaniR, CrespiCM, DanaoLL, CayetanoRT (2011) Behavioral mediators of colorectal cancer screening in a randomized controlled intervention trial. Prev Med 52: 167–173.
29. BlomJ, YinL, LidenA, DolkA, JeppssonB, et al. (2008) A 9-year follow-up study of participants and nonparticipants in sigmoidoscopy screening: importance of self-selection. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17: 1163–1168.
30. AdlerA, RollS, MarowskiB, DrosselR, RehsHU, et al. (2007) Appropriateness of colonoscopy in the era of colorectal cancer screening: a prospective, multicenter study in a private-practice setting (Berlin Colonoscopy Project 1, BECOP 1). Dis Colon Rectum 50: 1628–1638.
31. BleibergH, AutierP, HuetF, SchrauwenAM, StaquetE, et al. (2006) Colorectal cancer (CRC) screening using sigmoidoscopy followed by colonoscopy: a feasibility and efficacy study on a cancer institute based population. Ann Oncol 17: 1328–1332.
32. PabbyA, SunejaA, HeerenT, FarrayeFA (2005) Flexible sigmoidoscopy for colorectal cancer screening in the elderly. Digest Dis Sci 50: 2147–2152.
33. MorikawaT, KatoJ, YamajiY, WadaR, MitsushimaT, et al. (2005) A comparison of the immunochemical fecal occult blood test and total colonoscopy in the asymptomatic population. Gastroenterology 129: 422–428.
34. CanardJM, Debette-GratienM, DumasR, EscourrouJ, GayG, et al. (2005) A prospective national study on colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy in 2000 in France. Gastroenterologie clinique et biologique 29: 17–22.
35. NewcombPA, StorerBE, MorimotoLM, TempletonA, PotterJD (2003) Long-term efficacy of sigmoidoscopy in the reduction of colorectal cancer incidence. J Natl Cancer I 95: 622–625.
36. VerneJE, AubreyR, LoveSB, TalbotIC, NorthoverJM (1998) Population based randomized study of uptake and yield of screening by flexible sigmoidoscopy compared with screening by faecal occult blood testing. BMJ 317: 182–185.
37. LiebermanDA, WeissDG, BondJH, AhnenDJ, GarewalH, et al. (2000) Use of colonoscopy to screen asymptomatic adults for colorectal cancer. Veterans Affairs Cooperative Study Group 380. New Engl J Med 343: 162–168.
38. SchoenRE, CorleD, CranstonL, WeissfeldJL, LanceP, et al. (1998) Is colonoscopy needed for the nonadvanced adenoma found on sigmoidoscopy? The Polyp Prevention Trial. Gastroenterology 115: 533–541.
39. AdlerM, DemolsA, FranchimontD, Van LaethemJL, Van GossumA (2001) [Screening for colorectal cancer by endoscopy: rectosigmoidoscopy or coloscopy?]. Revue medicale de Bruxelles 22: A210–213.
40. Thiis-EvensenE, HoffGS, SauarJ, LangmarkF, MajakBM, et al. (1999) Population-based surveillance by colonoscopy: effect on the incidence of colorectal cancer. Telemark Polyp Study I Scand J Gastroentero 34: 414–420.
41. KronborgO, FengerC, OlsenJ, JorgensenOD, SondergaardO (1996) Randomised study of screening for colorectal cancer with faecal-occult-blood test. Lancet 348: 1467–1471.
42. LindholmE, BrevingeH, HaglindE (2008) Survival benefit in a randomized clinical trial of faecal occult blood screening for colorectal cancer. Br J Surg 95: 1029–1036.
43. MandelJS, BondJH, ChurchTR, SnoverDC, BradleyGM, et al. (1993) Reducing mortality from colorectal cancer by screening for fecal occult blood. Minnesota Colon Cancer Control Study. New Engl J Med 328: 1365–1371.
44. BaxterNN, GoldwasserMA, PaszatLF, SaskinR, UrbachDR, et al. (2009) Association of colonoscopy and death from colorectal cancer. Ann Intern Med 150: 1–8.
45. BrennerH, HoffmeisterM, ArndtV, StegmaierC, AltenhofenL, et al. (2010) Protection from right- and left-sided colorectal neoplasms after colonoscopy: population-based study. J Natl Cancer I 102: 89–95.
46. SinghH, NugentZ, MahmudSM, DemersAA, BernsteinCN (2010) Predictors of colorectal cancer after negative colonoscopy: a population-based study. Am J Gastroenterol 105: 663–673; quiz 674.
47. Thiis-EvensenE, KaminskiMF, BretthauerM (2011) First randomized trial of colonoscopy screening for the prevention of colorectal cancer. Gastrointest Endosc 73: AB159.
48. KaminskiMF, BretthauerM, ZauberAG, KuipersEJ, AdamiHO, et al. (2012) The NordICC Study: rationale and design of a randomized trial on colonoscopy screening for colorectal cancer. Endoscopy 44: 695–702.
49. QuinteroE, CastellsA, BujandaL, CubiellaJ, SalasD, et al. (2012) Colonoscopy versus fecal immunochemical testing in colorectal-cancer screening. New Engl J Med 366: 697–706.
50. Colonoscopy versus fecal immunochemical test in reducing mortality from colorectal cancer (CONFIRM). ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01239082
51. ElmunzerBJ, O'ConnellMT, PrendesS, SainiSD, SussmanDA, et al. (2011) Improving access to colorectal cancer screening through medical philanthropy: feasibility of a flexible sigmoidoscopy health fair for uninsured patients. Am J Gastroenterol 106: 1741–1746.