1. Ferlay JSH, Bray F, Forman D, et al. GLOBOCAN 2008 v1.2, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC CancerBase No. 10 2010. Lyon, France. International Agency for Research on Cancer 2008.
2. Sylvester RJ, van der Meijden APM, Oosterlinck W, et al. Predicting recurrence and progression in individual patients with stage TaT1 bladder cancer using EORTC risk tables: a combined analysis of 2596 patients from seven EORTC trials. Eur Urol 2006; 49: 466–477.
3. Fernandez-Gomez J, Madero R, Solsona E, et al. Predicting nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer recurrence and progression in patients treated with bacillus Calmette-Guerin: the CUETO scoring model. J Urol 2009; 182: 2195–2203.
4. Palou J, Sylvester RJ, Faba OR, et al. Female gender and carcinoma in situ in the prostatic urethra are prognostic factors for recurrence, progression, and disease-specific mortality in T1G3 bladder cancer patients treated with bacillus Calmette-Guérin. Eur Urol 2012; 621: 118–125.
5. Babjuk M, Burger M, Zigeuner R, et al. EAU guidelines on non-muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: update 2013. Eur Urol 2013; 64: 639–653.
6. Soloway MS, Masters S. Urothelial susceptibility to tumor cell implantation: influence of cauterization.Cancer 1980; 46: 1158–1163.
7. Pan JS, Slocum HK, Rustum YM, et al. Inhibition of implantation of murine bladder tumor by thiotepa in cauterized bladder. J Urol 1989; 142: 1589–1593.
8. Brocks CP, Büttner H, Böhle A. Inhibition of tumor implantation by intravesical gemcitabine in a murine model of superficial bladder cancer. J Urol 2005; 174: 1115–1118.
9. Oosterlinck W, Kurth KH, Schröder F, et al. A prospective European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Group randomized trial comparing transurethral resection followed by a single intravesical instillation of epirubicin or water in single stage Ta, T1 papillary carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol 1993; 149: 749–752.
10. Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, van der Meijden AP. A single immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy decreases the risk of recurrence in patients with stage Ta T1 bladder cancer: a metaanalysis of published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol 2004; 171: 2186–2190.
11. Berrum-Svennung I, Granfors T, Jahnson S, et al. A Single instillation of epirubicin after transurethral resection of bladder tumors prevents only small recurrences. J Urol 2008; 179: 101–105.
12. Gudjonsson S, Adell L, Merdasa F, et al. Should all patients with non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer receive early intravesical chemotherapy after transurethral resection? The results of a prospective randomised multicentre study. Eur Urol 2009; 55: 773–780.
13. Bouffioux C, Kurth KH, Bono A, et al. Intravesical adjuvant chemotherapy for superficial transitional cell bladder carcinoma: results of 2 European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer randomized trials with mitomycin C and doxorubicin comparing early versus delayed instillations and short-term versus long-term treatment. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genitourinary Group. J Urol 1995; 153: 934–941.
14. Kaasinen E, Rintala E, Hellstrom P, et al; FinnBladder Group. Factors explaining recurrence in patients undergoing chemo-immunotherapy regimens for frequently recurring superficial bladder carcinoma. Eur Urol 2002; 42: 167–174.
15. Tolley DA, Parmar MK, Grigor KM, et al. The effect of intravesical mitomycin C on recurrence of newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer: a further report with 7 years of follow up. J Urol 1996; 155: 1233–1238.
16. Pode D, Alon Y, Horowitz AT, et al. The mechanism of human bladder tumor implantation in an in vitro model. J Urol 1986; 136: 482–486.
17. Günther JH, Jurczok A, Wulf T, et al. Optimizing syngeneic orthotopic murine bladder cancer (MB49). Cancer Res 1999; 59: 2834–2837.
18. Böhle A, Jurczok A, Ardelt PU, et al. Inhibition of bladder carcinoma cell adhesion by oligopeptide combinations in vitro and in vivo. J Urol 2002; 167: 357–363.
19. Burks FN, Liu AB, Suh RS, Schuster TG, Bradford T, Moylan DA, et al. Understanding the use of immediate intravesical chemotherapy for patients with bladder cancer. J Urol 2012; 188: 2108–2013.
20. Cookson MS, Chang SS, Oefelein MG, Gallagher JR, Schwartz B, Heap K. National practice patterns for immediate postoperative instillation of chemotherapy in nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer. J Urol 2012; 187: 1571–1576.
21. Lee CT, Barocas D, Globe DR, Oefelein MG, Colayco DC, Bruno A, O’Day K, Bramley T. Economic and humanistic consequences of preventable bladder tumors recurrences in nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer cases. J Urol 2012; 188: 2114–2119.
22. Huncharek M, McGarry R, Kupelnick B. Impact of intravesical chemotherapy on recurrence rate of recurrent superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: results of a meta-analysis. Anticancer Res 2001; 21: 765–769.
23. Malmström P-U, Sylvester RJ, Crawford DE, et al. An individual patient data meta-analysis of the longterm outcome of randomised studies comparing intravesical mitomycin C versus bacillus Calmette-Guérin for non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Eur Urol 2009; 56: 247–256.
24. Sylvester RJ, Brausi MA, Kirkels WJ, et al; EORTC Genito-Urinary Tract Cancer Group. Longterm efficacy results of EORTC genito-urinary group randomized phase 3 study 30911 comparing intravesical instillations of epirubicin, bacillus Calmette-Guérin, and bacillus Calmette-Guérin plus isoniazid in patients with intermediate- and high-risk stage Ta T1 urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Eur Urol 2010; 57: 766–773.
25. Shang PF, Kwong J, Wang ZP, et al. Intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guérin versus epirubicin for Ta and T1 bladder cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 11: CD006885.
26. Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, Witjes JA. The schedule and duration of intravesical chemotherapy in patients with non muscle invasive bladder cancer: a systematic review of the published results of randomized clinical trials. Eur Urol 2008; 53: 709–719.
27. Au JL, Baladament RA, Wientjes MG, et al; International Mitomycin C Consortium. International Mitomycin C Consortium. Methods to improve efficacy of intravesical mitomycin C: results of a randomized phase III trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001; 93: 597–604.
28. Kuroda M, Niijima T, Kotake T, et al; 6th Trial of the Japanese Urological Cancer Research Group. Effect of prophylactic treatment with intravesical epirubicin on recurrence of superficial bladder cancer-The 6th Trial of the Japanese Urological Cancer Research Group (JUCRG): a randomized trial of intravesical epirubicin at dose of 20 mg/40 ml, 30 mg/40 ml, 40 mg/40 ml. Eur Urol 2004; 45: 600–605.
29. Shelley MD, Kynaston H, Court J, et al. A systematic review of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin plus transurethral resection vs transurethral resection alone in Ta and T1 bladder cancer. BJU Int 2001; 88: 209–216.
30. Han RF, Pan JG. Can intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin reduce recurrence in patients with superficial bladder cancer? A meta-analysis of randomized trials. Urology 2006; 67: 1216–1223.
31. Shelley MD, Wilt TJ, Court J, et al. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin is superior to mitomycin C in reducing tumour recurrence in high-risk superficial bladder cancer: a metaanalysis of randomized trials. BJU Int 2004; 93: 485–490.
32. Böhle A, Jocham D, Bock PR. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin versus mitomycin C for superficial bladder cancer: a formal meta-analysis of comparative studies on recurrence and toxicity. J Urol 2003; 169: 90–95.
33. Duchek M, Johansson R, Jahnson S, et al. Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Is superior to a combination of epirubicin and interferon-a2b in the intravesical treatment of patients with stage T1 urinary bladder cancer. a prospective, randomized, nordic study. Eur Urol 2010; 57: 25–31.
34. Järvinen R, Kaasinen E, Sankila A, et al. Long-term efficacy of maintenance bacillus Calmette-Guérin versus maintenance mitomycin C instillation therapy in frequently recurrent TaT1 tumours without carcinoma in situ: a subgroup analysis of the prospective, randomised FinnBladder I study with a 20-year follow-up. Eur Urol 2009; 56: 260–265.
35. Böhle A, Bock PR. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin versus mitomycin C in superficial bladder cancer: formal meta-analysis of comparative studies on tumour progression. Urology 2004; 63: 682–686.
36. Sylvester RJ, van der Meijden AP, Lamm DL. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin reduces the risk of progression in patients with superficial bladder cancer: a meta-analysis of the published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol 2002; 168: 1964–1970.
37. Morales, A, Eidinger D, Bruce AW. Intracavitary bacillus Calmette-Guerin in the treatment of superficial bladder tumors. J Urol 1976; 116: 180–183.
38. Oddens J, Brausi M, Sylvester R, et al. Final results of an EORTC-GU cancers group randomized study of maintenance bacillus calmette-guérin in intermediate- and high-risk Ta, T1 papillary carcinoma of the urinary bladder: one-third dose versus full dose and 1 year versus 3 years of maintenance. Eur Urol 2013; 63: 462–472.
39. Van der Meijden AP, Sylvester RJ, Oosterlinck W, et al; EORTC Genito-Urinary Tract Cancer Group. Maintenance bacillus Calmette-Guerin for Ta, T1 bladder tumours is not associated with increased toxicity: results from a European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Genito-Urinary Group Phase III Trial. Eur Urol 2003; 44: 429–434.
40. Palou J, Angerri O, Segarra J, et al. Intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin for the treatment of superficial bladder cancer in renal transplant patients. Transplantation 2003; 76: 1514–1516.
41. Yossepowitch O, Eggener SE, Bochner BH, et al. Safety and efficacy of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin instillations in steroid treated and immunocompromised patients. J Urol 2006; 176: 482–485.
42. Martinez-Pineiro JA, Flores N, Isorna S, et al. Long-term follow-up of a randomized prospective trial comparing a standard 81 mg dose of intravesical bacille Calmette-Guerin with a reduced dose of 27 mg in superficial bladder cancer. BJU Int 2002; 89: 671–680.
43. Martínez-Piñeiro JA, Martínez-Piñeiro L, Solsona E, et al. Has a 3-fold decreased dose of bacillus Calmette-Guerin the same efficacy against recurrences and progression of T1G3 and Tis bladder tumors than the standard dose? Results of a prospective randomized trial. J Urol 2005; 174: 1242–1247.
44. Ojea A, Nogueira JL, Solsona E, et al; CUETO Group (Club Urológico Español De Tratamiento Oncológico). A multicentre, randomised prospective trial comparing three intravesical adjutant therapies for intermediate-risk superficial bladder cancer: low-dose bacillus Calmette-Guerin (27 mg) versus very low-dose bacillus Calmette-Guerin (13.5 mg) versus mitomycin C. Eur Urol 2007; 52: 1398–1406.
45. Van der Meijden APM, Sylvester R, Oosterlinck W, et al; for the EAU Working Party on Non Musile Invasive Bladder Cancer. EAU guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of urothelial carcinoma in situ. Eur Urol 2005; 48: 363–371.
46. Lamm DL. Carcinoma in situ. Urol Clin North Am 1992; 19(3): 499–508.
47. Griffiths TRL, Charlton M, Neal DE, et al. Treatment of carcinoma in situ with intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin without maintenance. J Urol 2002; 167: 2408–2412.
48. Takenaka A, Yamada Y, Miyake H, et al. Clinical outcomes of bacillus Calmette-Guérin instillation therapy for carcinoma in situ of urinary bladder. Int J Urol 2008; 15: 309–313.
49. Jakse G, Hall R, Bono A, et al; and members of the EORTC GU Group. Intravesical BCG in patients with carcinoma in situ of the urinary bladder: long-term results of EORTC GU Group phase II protocol 30861. Eur Urol 2001; 40: 144–150.
50. Gofrit ON, Pode D, Pizov G, et al. The natural history of bladder carcinoma in situ after initial response to bacillus Calmette-Gúerin immunotherapy. Urol Oncol 2009; 27: 258–262.
51. Sylvester RJ, van der Meijden APM, Witjes JA, et al. Bacillus Calmette-Guerin versus chemotherapy in the intravesical treatment of patients with carcinoma in situ of the bladder: a meta-analysis of the published results of randomized clinical trials. J Urol 2005; 174: 86–92.
52. Raj GV, Herr H, Serio AM, et al. Treatment paradigm shift may improve survival of patients with high risk superficial bladder cancer. J Urol 2007; 177: 1283–1286.
53. Catalona WJ, Hudson MA, Gillen DP, Andriole GL, Ratliff TL. Risks and benefits of repeated courses of intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guerin therapy for superficial bladder cancer. J Urol 1987; 137: 220–224.
54. Nieder AM, Brausi M, Lamm D, et al. Management of stage T1 tumors of the bladder: International Consensus Panel. Urology 2005; 66: 108–125.