1. Starka L, Pospisilova H, Hill M. Free testosterone and free dihydrotestosterone throughout the life span of men. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2009; 116: 118–120.
2. Travison TG, Araujo AB, Kupelian V et al. The Relative Contributions of Aging, Health, and Lifestyle Factors to Serum Testosterone Decline in Men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 549–555.
3. Harman SM, Metter EJ, Tobin JD et al. Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Longitudinal Effects of Aging on Serum Total and Free Testosterone Levels in Healthy Men. Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86: 724–731.
4. Mulligan T, Frick MF, Zuraw QC et al. Prevalence of hypogonadism in males aged at least 45 years: the HIM study. Int J Clin Pract 2006; 60: 762–769.
5. Kapoor D, Aldred H, Clark S et al. Clinical and Biochemical Assessment of Hypogonadism in Men With Type 2 Diabetes: correlations with bioavailable testosterone and visceral adiposity. Diabetes Care 2007; 30: 911–917.
6. Dhindsa S, Miller MG, McWhirter CL et al. Testosterone Concentrations in Diabetic and Nondiabetic Obese Men. Diabetes Care 2010; 33: 1186–1192.
7. Chandel A, Dhindsa S, Topiwala S et al. Testosterone Concentration in Young Patients With Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2008; 31: 2013–2017.
8. Tomar R, Dhindsa S, Chaudhuri A et al. Contrasting Testosterone Concentrations in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2006; 29: 1120–1122.
9. Tripathy D, Dhindsa S, Garg R et al. Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism in erectile dysfunction associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a common defect? Metab Syndr Relat Disord 2003; 1: 75–80.
10. Dhindsa S, Furlanetto R, Vora M et al. Low Estradiol Concentrations in Men With Subnormal Testosterone Concentrations and Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 1854–1859.
11. Watanobe H, Hayakawa Y. Hypothalamic Interleukin-1β and Tumor Necrosis Factor-α, But Not Interleukin-6, Mediate the Endotoxin-Induced Suppression of the Reproductive Axis in Rats. Endocrinology 2003; 144: 4868–4875.
12. Grossmann M, Thomas MC, Panagiotopoulos S et al. Low Testosterone Levels Are Common and Associated with Insulin Resistance in Men with Diabetes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93: 1834–1840.
13. Dandona P, Dhindsa S. Update: Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism in Type 2 Diabetes and Obesity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96: 2643–2651.
14. George JT, Millar RP, Anderson RA. Hypothesis: kisspeptin mediates male hypogonadism in obesity and type 2 diabetes. Neuroendocrinology 2010; 91: 302–307.
15. Grossmann M. Low Testosterone in Men with Type 2 Diabetes: Significance and Treatment. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96: 2341–2353.
16. Lakshman KM, Bhasin S, Araujo AB. Sex hormone-binding globulin as an independent predictor of incident type 2 diabetes mellitus in men. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2010; 65: 503–509.
17. Ding EL, Song Y, Manson JE et al. Sex Hormone–Binding Globulin and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Women and Men. N Engl J Med 2009; 361: 1152–1163.
18. Perry JRB, Weedon MN, Langenberg C et al. Genetic evidence that raised sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) levels reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Hum Mol Genet 2010; 19: 535–544.
19. Bhasin S, Cunningham GR, Hayes FJ et al. Task Force, Endocrine Society. Testosterone Therapy in Men with Androgen Deficiency Syndromes: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95: 2536–2559.
20. Singh R, Artaza JN, Taylor WE et al. Androgens Stimulate Myogenic Differentiation and Inhibit Adipogenesis in C3H 10T1/2 Pluripotent Cells through an Androgen Receptor-Mediated Pathway. Endocrinology 2003; 144: 5081–5088.
21. Hamilton EJ, Gianatti E, Strauss BJ et al. Increase in visceral and subcutaneous abdominal fat in men with prostate cancer treated with androgen deprivation therapy. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2011; 74: 377–383.
22. Grossmann M, Zajac JD. Androgen deprivation therapy in men with prostate cancer: how should the side effects be monitored and treated? Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2011; 74: 289–293.
23. Yialamas MA, Dwyer AA, Hanley E et al. Acute sex steroid withdrawal reduces insulin sensitivity in healthy men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92: 4254–4259.
24. Bhatia V, Chaudhuri A, Tomar R et al. Low Testosterone and High C-Reactive Protein Concentrations Predict Low Hematocrit in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2006; 29: 2289–2294.
25. Grossmann M, Panagiotopolous S, Sharpe K et al. Low testosterone and anaemia in men with type 2 diabetes. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2009; 70: 547–553.
26. Dhindsa S, Bhatia V, Dhindsa G et al. The Effects of Hypogonadism on Body Composition and Bone Mineral Density in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Care 2007; 30: 1860–1861.
27. Vasilkova O, Mokhort T, Sanec I et al. Testosterone is an independent determinant of bone mineral density in men with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Clin Chem Lab Med 2011; 49: 99–103.
28. Araujo AB, Dixon JM, Suarez EA et al. Clinical review: Endogenous Testosterone and Mortality in Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96: 3007–3019.
29. Grossmann M, Gianatti EJ, Zajac JD. Testosterone and type 2 diabetes. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes 2010; 17: 247–256.
30. Aversa A, Bruzziches R, Francomano D et al. Effects of Testosterone Undecanoate on Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Atherosclerosis in Middle-Aged Men with Late-Onset Hypogonadism and Metabolic Syndrome: Results from a 24-month, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 3495–3503.
31. Jones TH, Arver S, Behre HM et al. Testosterone Replacement in Hypogonadal Men With Type 2 Diabetes and/or Metabolic Syndrome (the TIMES2 Study). Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 828–837.
32. Kalinchenko SY, Tishova YA, Mskhalaya GJ et al. Effects of testosterone supplementation on markers of the metabolic syndrome and inflammation in hypogonadal men with the metabolic syndrome: the double-blinded placebo-controlled Moscow study. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2010; 73: 602–612.
33. Kapoor D, Goodwin E, Channer KS et al. Testosterone replacement therapy improves insulin resistance, glycaemic control, visceral adiposity and hypercholesterolaemia in hypogonadal men with type 2 diabetes. Eur J Endocrinol 2006; 154: 899–906.
34. Corona G, Monami M, Rastrelli G et al. Testosterone and Metabolic Syndrome: A Meta-Analysis Study. J Sex Med 2011; 8: 272–283.
35. Belalcazar LM, Reboussin DM, Haffner SM et al. Look AHEAD Research Group. A 1-Year Lifestyle Intervention for Weight Loss in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes Reduces High C-Reactive Protein Levels and Identifies Metabolic Predictors of Change: from the Look AHEAD (Action for Health in Diabetes) study. Diabetes Care 2010; 33: 2297–2303.
36. Saenz A, Fernandez-Esteban I, Mataix A et al. Metformin monotherapy for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005: CD002966.
37. Mayerson AB, Hundal RS, Dufour S et al. The Effects of Rosiglitazone on Insulin Sensitivity, Lipolysis, and Hepatic and Skeletal Muscle Triglyceride Content in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes 2002; 51: 797–802.
38. Heufelder AE, Saad F, Bunck MC et al. Fifty-two-Week Treatment With Diet and Exercise Plus Transdermal Testosterone Reverses the Metabolic Syndrome and Improves Glycemic Control in Men With Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes and Subnormal Plasma Testosterone. J Androl 2009; 30: 726–733.
39. Wang C, Jackson G, Jones TH et al. Low Testosterone Associated With Obesity and the Metabolic Syndrome Contributes to Sexual Dysfunction and Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Men With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2011; 34: 1669–1675.
40. Fernández-Balsells MM, Murad MH, Lane M et al. Clinical review 1: Adverse Effects of Testosterone Therapy in Adult Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95: 2560–2575.
41. Vermeulen A, Verdonck L, Kaufman JM. A Critical Evaluation of Simple Methods for the Estimation of Free Testosterone in Serum. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999; 84: 3666–3672.
42. Sartorius G, Ly LP, Sikaris K et al. Predictive accuracy and sources of variability in calculated free testosterone estimates. Ann Clin Biochem 2009; 46: 137–143.
43. Vesper HW, Bhasin S, Wang C et al. Interlaboratory comparison study of serum total testosterone [corrected] measurements performed by mass spectrometry methods. Steroids 2009; 74: 498–503.
44. Garcia JA, Sanchez PE, Fraile C et al. Testosterone undecanoate improves erectile dysfunction in hypogonadal men with the metabolic syndrome refractory to treatment with phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors alone. Andrologia 2011; 43: 293–296.