1. Garcia-Moreno C, Jansen HA, Ellsberg M, Heise L, Watts CH (2006) Prevalence of intimate partner violence: findings from the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence. Lancet 368: 1260–1269. 17027732
2. Hung KJ, Scott J, Ricciotti HA, Johnson TR, Tsai AC (2012) Community-level and individual-level influences of intimate partner violence on birth spacing in sub-Saharan Africa. Obstet Gynecol 119: 975–982. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e31824fc9a0 22525908
3. Stockl H, Devries K, Rotstein A, Abrahams N, Campbell J, Watts C, et al. (2013) The global prevalence of intimate partner homicide: a systematic review. Lancet 382: 859–865. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61030-2 23791474
4. Devries KM, Mak JY, Garcia-Moreno C, Petzold M, Child JC, Falder G, et al. (2013) Global health. The global prevalence of intimate partner violence against women. Science 340: 1527–1528. doi: 10.1126/science.1240937 23788730
5. Abrahams N, Devries K, Watts C, Pallitto C, Petzold M, Shamu S, et al. (2014) Worldwide prevalence of non-partner sexual violence: a systematic review. Lancet 383: 1648–1654. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62243-6 24529867
6. Jewkes R, Abrahams N (2002) The epidemiology of rape and sexual coercion in South Africa: an overview. Soc Sci Med 55: 1231–1244. 12365533
7. Dunkle KL, Jewkes RK, Brown HC, Gray GE, McIntryre JA, Harlow SD (2004) Gender-based violence, relationship power, and risk of HIV infection in women attending antenatal clinics in South Africa. Lancet 363: 1415–1421. 15121402
8. Jewkes RK, Dunkle K, Nduna M, Shai N (2010) Intimate partner violence, relationship power inequity, and incidence of HIV infection in young women in South Africa: a cohort study. Lancet 376: 41–48. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60548-X 20557928
9. Groves AK, Kagee A, Maman S, Moodley D, Rouse P (2012) Associations between intimate partner violence and emotional distress among pregnant women in Durban, South Africa. J Interpers Violence 27: 1341–1356. doi: 10.1177/0886260511425247 22203635
10. Weaver TL, Clum GA (1995) Psychological distress associated with interpersonal violence: a meta-analysis. Clin Psychol Rev 15: 115–140.
11. Golding JM (1999) Intimate partner violence as a risk factor for mental disorders: a meta-analysis. J Fam Viol 14: 99–132.
12. Fischbach RL, Herbert B (1997) Domestic violence and mental health: correlates and conundrums within and across cultures. Soc Sci Med 45: 1161–1176. 9381230
13. Kendler KS, Kessler RC, Walters EE, MacLean C, Neale MC, Heath AC, et al. (1995) Stressful life events, genetic liability, and onset of an episode of major depression in women. Am J Psychiatry 152: 833–842. 7755111
14. Kendler KS, Karkowski LM, Prescott CA (1999) Causal relationship between stressful life events and the onset of major depression. Am J Psychiatry 156: 837–841. 10360120
15. Kendler KS, Thornton LM, Prescott CA (2001) Gender differences in the rates of exposure to stressful life events and sensitivity to their depressogenic effects. Am J Psychiatry 158: 587–593. 11282693
16. Hearst N, Newman TB, Hulley SB (1986) Delayed effects of the military draft on mortality. A randomized natural experiment. N Engl J Med 314: 620–624. 3945247
17. Cesur R, Sabia JJ, Tekin E (2013) The psychological costs of war: military combat and mental health. J Health Econ 32: 51–65. doi: 10.1016/j.jhealeco.2012.09.001 23220456
18. Steel Z, Chey T, Silove D, Marnane C, Bryant RA, van Ommeren M (2009) Association of torture and other potentially traumatic events with mental health outcomes among populations exposed to mass conflict and displacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 302: 537–549. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.1132 19654388
19. Tsai AC, Subramanian SV (2012) Proximate context of gender-unequal norms and women's HIV risk in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 26: 381–386. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32834e1ccb 22045344
20. Tsai AC (2013) Intimate partner violence and population mental health: why poverty and gender inequities matter. PLoS Med 10: e1001440. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001440 23667344
21. Jewkes R, Sikweyiya Y, Morrell R, Dunkle K (2011) Gender inequitable masculinity and sexual entitlement in rape perpetration South Africa: findings of a cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE 6: e29590. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0029590 22216324
22. Shannon K, Leiter K, Phaladze N, Hlanze Z, Tsai AC, Heisler M, et al. (2012) Gender inequity norms are associated with increased male-perpetrated rape and sexual risks for HIV infection in Botswana and Swaziland. PLoS ONE 7: e28739. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0028739 22247761
23. Devries K, Mak J, Bacchus LJ, Child JC, Falder G, Petzold M, et al. (2013) Intimate partner violence and incident depressive symptoms and suicide attempts: a systematic review of longitudinal studies. PLoS Med 10: e1001439. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001439 23671407
24. Foa EB, Cascardi M, Zoellner LA, Feeny NC (2000) Psychological and environmental factors associated with partner violence. Trauma Violence Abuse 1: 67–91.
25. Stith SM, Smith DB, Penn CE, Ward DB, Tritt D (2004) Intimate partner physical abuse perpetration and victimization risk factors: a meta-analytic review. Aggr Viol Behav 10: 65–98.
26. Barnett OW (2001) Why battered women do not leave, part 2: external inhibiting factors—social support and internal inhibiting factors. Trauma Violence Abuse 2: 3–35.
27. Iverson KM, Gradus JL, Resick PA, Suvak MK, Smith KF, Monson CM (2011) Cognitive-behavioral therapy for PTSD and depression symptoms reduces risk for future intimate partner violence among interpersonal trauma survivors. J Consult Clin Psychol 79: 193–202. doi: 10.1037/a0022512 21341889
28. Tsai AC, Wolfe WR, Kumbakumba E, Kawuma A, Hunt PW, Martin JN, et al. (in press) Prospective study of the mental health consequences of sexual violence among women living with HIV in rural Uganda. J Interpers Violence. Epub 13 Jan 2015. doi: 10.1177/0886260514567966
29. World Health Organization (2001) Putting women first: ethical and safety recommendations for research on domestic violence against women. Geneva: World Health Organization.
30. Rotheram-Borus MJ, le Roux IM, Tomlinson M, Mbewu N, Comulada WS, le Roux K, et al. (2011) Philani Plus (+): a Mentor Mother community health worker home visiting program to improve maternal and infants' outcomes. Prev Sci 12: 372–388. doi: 10.1007/s11121-011-0238-1 21850488
31. le Roux IM, Tomlinson M, Harwood JM, O'Connor MJ, Worthman CM, Mbewu N, et al. (2013) Outcomes of home visits for pregnant township mothers and their infants in South Africa: a cluster randomised controlled trial. AIDS 27: 1461–1471. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e3283601b53 23435303
32. le Roux IM, Rotheram-Borus MJ, Stein J, Tomlinson M (2014) The impact of paraprofessional home visitors on infants' growth and health at 18 months. Vulnerable Child Youth Stud 9: 291–304. 25342956
33. Rotheram-Borus MJ, Tomlinson M, Roux IL, Stein JA (2015) Alcohol use, partner violence, and depression: a cluster randomized controlled trial among urban South African mothers over 3 years. Am J Prev Med 49: 715–725. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2015.05.004 26231855
34. Rotheram-Borus MJ, Tomlinson M, le Roux IM, Harwood JM, Comulada S, O'Connor MJ, et al. (2014) A cluster randomised controlled effectiveness trial evaluating perinatal home visiting among South African mothers/infants. PLoS ONE 9: e105934. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0105934 25340337
35. Tomlinson M, Rotheram-Borus MJ, Harwood J, le Roux IM, O'Connor M, Worthman C (2015) Community health workers can improve child growth of antenatally-depressed, South African mothers: a cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry 15: 225. doi: 10.1186/s12888-015-0606-7 26400691
36. Austin SA, Mbewu N (2009) Philani program: a case study of an integrative approach of empowerment and social and economic development. Soc Work Public Health 24: 148–160. doi: 10.1080/19371910802569724 19229780
37. le Roux IM, le Roux K, Comulada WS, Greco EM, Desmond KA, Mbewu N, et al. (2010) Home visits by neighborhood Mentor Mothers provide timely recovery from childhood malnutrition in South Africa: results from a randomized controlled trial. Nutr J 9: 56. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-9-56 21092178
38. le Roux IM, le Roux K, Mbeutu K, Comulada WS, Desmond KA, Rotheram-Borus MJ (2011) A randomized controlled trial of home visits by neighborhood mentor mothers to improve children's nutrition in South Africa. Vulnerable Child Youth Stud 6: 91–102. 22299019
39. Hartley M, Tomlinson M, Greco E, Comulada WS, Stewart J, le Roux I, et al. (2011) Depressed mood in pregnancy: prevalence and correlates in two Cape Town peri-urban settlements. Reprod Health 8: 9. doi: 10.1186/1742-4755-8-9 21535876
40. O'Connor MJ, Tomlinson M, Leroux IM, Stewart J, Greco E, Rotheram-Borus MJ (2011) Predictors of alcohol use prior to pregnancy recognition among township women in Cape Town, South Africa. Soc Sci Med 72: 83–90. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.09.049 21084142
41. Tomlinson M, O'Connor MJ, le Roux IM, Stewart J, Mbewu N, Harwood J, et al. (2014) Multiple risk factors during pregnancy in South Africa: the need for a horizontal approach to perinatal care. Prev Sci 15: 277–282. doi: 10.1007/s11121-013-0376-8 23475562
42. Cox JL, Holden JM, Sagovsky R (1987) Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale. Br J Psychiatry 150: 782–786. 3651732
43. De Bruin GP, Swartz L, Tomlinson M, Cooper PJ, Molteno C (2004) The factor structure of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression scale in a South African peri-urban settlement. S Afr J Psychol 34: 113–121.
44. Tsai AC, Scott JA, Hung KJ, Zhu JQ, Matthews LT, Psaros C, et al. (2013) Reliability and validity of instruments for assessing perinatal depression in African settings: systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 8: e82521. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0082521 24340036
45. Tsai AC, Tomlinson M, Dewing S, le Roux IM, Harwood JM, Chopra M, et al. (2014) Antenatal depression case-finding by community health workers in South Africa: feasibility of a mobile phone application. Arch Womens Ment Health 17: 423–431. doi: 10.1007/s00737-014-0426-7 24682529
46. Hung KJ, Tomlinson M, le Roux IM, Dewing S, Chopra M, Tsai AC (2014) Community-based prenatal screening for postpartum depression in a South African township. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 126: 74–77. doi: 10.1016/j.ijgo.2014.01.011 24786139
47. Dewing S, Tomlinson M, le Roux IM, Chopra M, Tsai AC (2013) Food insecurity and its association with co-occurring postnatal depression, hazardous drinking, and suicidality among women in peri-urban South Africa. J Affect Disord 150: 460–465. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2013.04.040 23707034
48. Straus MA (1979) Measuring intrafamily conflict and violence: the conflict tactics (CT) scales. J Marriage Fam 41: 75–88.
49. Kling JR, Liebman JB, Katz LF (2007) Experimental analysis of neighborhood effects. Econometrica 75: 83–119.
50. Filmer D, Pritchett LH (2001) Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data—or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of India. Demography 38: 115–132. 11227840
51. Saunders JB, Aasland OG, Babor TF, de la Fuente JR, Grant M (1993) Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO Collaborative Project on Early Detection of Persons with Harmful Alcohol Consumption—II. Addiction 88: 791–804. 8329970
52. Bush K, Kivlahan DR, McDonell MB, Fihn SD, Bradley KA (1998) The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking. Ambulatory Care Quality Improvement Project (ACQUIP). Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test. Arch Intern Med 158: 1789–1795. 9738608
53. Bradley KA, Bush KR, Epler AJ, Dobie DJ, Davis TM, Sporleder JL, et al. (2003) Two brief alcohol-screening tests From the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): validation in a female Veterans Affairs patient population. Arch Intern Med 163: 821–829. 12695273
54. Froot KA (1989) Consistent covariance matrix estimation with cross-sectional dependence and heteroskedasticity in financial data. J Fin Quant Analysis 24: 333–355.
55. Rogers WH (1993) Regression standard errors in clustered samples. Stata Tech Bull 13: 19–23.
56. Williams RL (2000) A note on robust variance estimation for cluster-correlated data. Biometrics 56: 645–646. 10877330
57. Koenker R, Hallock KF (2001) Quantile regression. J Econ Perspect 15: 143–156.
58. Parente PMDC, Santos Silva JMC (in press) Quantile regression with clustered data. J Econometric Meth. Epub 27 Feb 2015. doi: 10.1515/jem-2014-0011
59. Rutter M, Quinton D (1977) Psychiatric disorder: ecological factors and concepts of causation. In: McGurk H, editor. Ecological factors in human development. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Co. pp. 173–187.
60. Felitti VJ, Anda RF, Nordenberg D, Williamson DF, Spitz AM, Edwards V, et al. (1998) Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults. The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. Am J Prev Med 14: 245–258. 9635069
61. Mundlak Y (1961) Empirical production function free of management bias. J Farm Econ 43: 44–56.
62. Canay IA (2011) A simple approach to quantile regression for panel data. Economet J 14: 368–386.
63. Rochat TJ, Richter LM, Doll HA, Buthelezi NP, Tomkins A, Stein A (2006) Depression among pregnant rural South African women undergoing HIV testing. JAMA 295: 1376–1378. 16551708
64. Honikman S, van Heyningen T, Field S, Baron E, Tomlinson M (2012) Stepped care for maternal mental health: a case study of the Perinatal Mental Health Project in South Africa. PLoS Med 9: e1001222. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001222 22666181
65. Rochat TJ, Tomlinson M, Newell ML, Stein A (2013) Detection of antenatal depression in rural HIV-affected populations with short and ultrashort versions of the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS). Arch Womens Ment Health 16: 401–410. doi: 10.1007/s00737-013-0353-z 23615932
66. Bartus T (2005) Estimation of marginal effects using margeff. Stata J 5: 309–329.
67. Tsai AC, Weiser SD, Dilworth SE, Shumway M, Riley ED (2015) Violent victimization, mental health, and service utilization outcomes in a cohort of homeless and unstably housed women living with or at risk of becoming infected with HIV. Am J Epidemiol 181: 817–826. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwu350 25834138
68. Rotheram-Borus MJ, Tomlinson M, Scheffler A, le Roux IM (2015) Re-engagement in HIV care among mothers living with HIV in South Africa over 36 months postbirth. AIDS 29: 2361–2362. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0000000000000837 26258526
69. Spinelli MG, Endicott J (2003) Controlled clinical trial of interpersonal psychotherapy versus parenting education program for depressed pregnant women. Am J Psychiatry 160: 555–562. 12611838
70. Mulcahy R, Reay RE, Wilkinson RB, Owen C (2010) A randomised control trial for the effectiveness of group Interpersonal Psychotherapy for postnatal depression. Arch Womens Ment Health 13: 125–139. doi: 10.1007/s00737-009-0101-6 19697094
71. Rees S, Steel Z, Creamer M, Teesson M, Bryant R, McFarlane AC, et al. (2014) Onset of common mental disorders and suicidal behavior following women's first exposure to gender based violence: a retrospective, population-based study. BMC Psychiatry 14: 312. doi: 10.1186/s12888-014-0312-x 25403750
72. Ellsberg M, Jansen HA, Heise L, Watts CH, Garcia-Moreno C (2008) Intimate partner violence and women's physical and mental health in the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence: an observational study. Lancet 371: 1165–1172. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60522-X 18395577
73. Ludermir AB, Lewis G, Valongueiro SA, Barreto de Araújo TV, Araya R (2010) Violence against women by their intimate partner during pregnancy and postnatal depression: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 376: 903–910. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)60887-2 20822809
74. Sayles JN, Wong MD, Kinsler JJ, Martins D, Cunningham WE (2009) The association of stigma with self-reported access to medical care and antiretroviral therapy adherence in persons living with HIV/AIDS. J Gen Intern Med 24: 1101–1108. doi: 10.1007/s11606-009-1068-8 19653047
75. Govindasamy D, Ford N, Kranzer K (2012) Risk factors, barriers and facilitators for linkage to antiretroviral therapy care: a systematic review. AIDS 26: 2059–2067. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e3283578b9b 22781227
76. Katz IT, Ryu AE, Onuegbu AG, Psaros C, Weiser SD, Bangsberg DR, et al. (2013) Impact of HIV-related stigma on treatment adherence: systematic review and meta-synthesis. J Int AIDS Soc 16: 18640. doi: 10.7448/IAS.16.3.18640 24242258
77. Ware NC, Idoko J, Kaaya S, Biraro IA, Wyatt MA, Agbaji O, et al. (2009) Explaining adherence success in sub-Saharan Africa: an ethnographic study. PLoS Med 6: e11. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000011 19175285
78. Lankowski AJ, Siedner MJ, Bangsberg DR, Tsai AC (2014) Impact of geographic and transportation-related barriers on HIV outcomes in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. AIDS Behav 18: 1199–1223. doi: 10.1007/s10461-014-0729-8 24563115
79. Cattaneo LB, Goodman LA (2005) Risk factors for reabuse in intimate partner violence: a cross-disciplinary critical review. Trauma Violence Abuse 6: 141–175. 15753198
80. Rusbult CE, Martz JM (1995) Remaining in an abusive relationship: an investment model analysis of non-voluntary dependence. Pers Soc Psychol B 21: 558–571.
81. Strube MJ (1988) The decision to leave an abusive relationship: empirical evidence and theoretical issues. Psychol Bull 104: 236–250. 3054996
82. Bell ME, Cattaneo LB, Goodman LA, Dutton MA (2008) Assessing the risk of future psychological abuse: predicting accuracy of battered women's predictions. J Fam Viol 23: 69–80.
83. Perez S, Johnson DM (2008) PTSD compromises battered women's future safety. J Interpers Violence 23: 635–651. doi: 10.1177/0886260507313528 18272729
84. Krause ED, Kaltman S, Goodman L, Dutton MA (2006) Role of distinct PTSD symptoms in intimate partner reabuse: a prospective study. J Trauma Stress 19: 507–516. 16929505
85. Spangaro J, Zwi AB, Poulos R (2009) The elusive search for definitive evidence on routine screening for intimate partner violence. Trauma Violence Abuse 10: 55–68. doi: 10.1177/1524838008327261 19056688
86. Klostermann KC, Fals-Stewart W (2006) Intimate partner violence and alcohol use: exploring the role of drinking in partner violence and its implications for intervention. Aggress Violent Behav 11: 587–597.
87. Fergusson DM, Boden JM, Horwood LJ (2009) Tests of causal links between alcohol abuse or dependence and major depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 66: 260–266. doi: 10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2008.543 19255375
88. Krueger RF, Caspi A, Moffitt TE (2000) Epidemiological personology: the unifying role of personality in population-based research on problem behaviors. J Pers 68: 967–998. 11130741
89. Heyman RE, Slep AMS (2002) Do child abuse and interparental violence lead to adulthood family violence? J Marriage Fam 64: 864–870.
90. Dunkle KL, Jewkes RK, Brown HC, Yoshihama M, Gray GE, McIntyre JA, et al. (2004) Prevalence and patterns of gender-based violence and revictimization among women attending antenatal clinics in Soweto, South Africa. Am J Epidemiol 160: 230–239. 15257996
91. Hill AB (1965) The environment and disease: association or causation? Proc R Soc Med 58: 295–300. 14283879
92. Hammen C (2005) Stress and depression. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 1: 293–319. 17716090
93. Tsai AC, Bangsberg DR, Frongillo EA, Hunt PW, Muzoora C, Martin JN, et al. (2012) Food insecurity, depression and the modifying role of social support among people living with HIV/AIDS in rural Uganda. Soc Sci Med 74: 2012–2019. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.02.033 22513248
94. Palar K, Kushel M, Frongillo EA, Riley ED, Grede N, Bangsberg D, et al. (2015) Food insecurity is longitudinally associated with depressive symptoms among homeless and marginally-housed individuals living with HIV. AIDS Behav 19: 1527–1534. doi: 10.1007/s10461-014-0922-9 25351185
95. Heflin CM, Siefert K, Williams DR (2005) Food insufficiency and women's mental health: findings from a 3-year panel of welfare recipients. Soc Sci Med 61: 1971–1982. 15927331
96. Polsky D, Doshi JA, Marcus S, Oslin D, Rothbard A, Thomas N, et al. (2005) Long-term risk for depressive symptoms after a medical diagnosis. Arch Intern Med 165: 1260–1266. 15956005
97. Stets JE (1990) Verbal and physical aggression in marriage. J Marriage Fam 52: 501–514.
98. Coker AL, Davis KE, Arias I, Desai S, Sanderson M, Brandt HM, et al. (2002) Physical and mental health effects of intimate partner violence for men and women. Am J Prev Med 23: 260–268. 12406480
99. Crowell NA, Burgess AW (1996) Understanding violence against women. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
100. Kagee A, Tsai AC, Lund C, Tomlinson M (2013) Screening for common mental disorders: reasons for caution and a way forward. Int Health 5: 11–14. doi: 10.1093/inthealth/ihs004 23580905
101. Judd LL, Akiskal HS, Maser JD, Zeller PJ, Endicott J, Coryell W, et al. (1998) A prospective 12-year study of subsyndromal and syndromal depressive symptoms in unipolar major depressive disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 55: 694–700. 9707379
102. MacMillan HL, Wathen CN, Jamieson E, Boyle MH, Shannon HS, Ford-Gilboe M, et al. (2009) Screening for intimate partner violence in health care settings: a randomized trial. JAMA 302: 493–501. doi: 10.1001/jama.2009.1089 19654384
103. Klevens J, Kee R, Trick W, Garcia D, Angulo FR, Jones R, et al. (2012) Effect of screening for partner violence on women's quality of life: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 308: 681–689. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.6434 22893165
104. Hegarty K, O'Doherty L, Taft A, Chondros P, Brown S, Valpied J, et al. (2013) Screening and counselling in the primary care setting for women who have experienced intimate partner violence (WEAVE): a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 382: 249–258. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60052-5 23598181
105. El-Mohandes AA, Kiely M, Joseph JG, Subramanian S, Johnson AA, Blake SM, et al. (2008) An intervention to improve postpartum outcomes in African-American mothers: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 112: 611–620. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181834b10 18757660
106. Kiely M, El-Mohandes AA, El-Khorazaty MN, Blake SM, Gantz MG (2010) An integrated intervention to reduce intimate partner violence in pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 115: 273–283. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181cbd482 20093899
107. Johnson MP (1995) Patriarchal terrorism and common couple violence: two forms of violence against women. J Marriage Fam 57: 283–294.
108. Tsai AC (2012) A typology of structural approaches to HIV prevention: a commentary on Roberts and Matthews. Soc Sci Med 75: 1562–1567; discussion 1568–1571. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.06.033 22877933
109. Pronyk PM, Hargreaves JR, Kim JC, Morison LA, Phetla G, Watts C, et al. (2006) Effect of a structural intervention for the prevention of intimate-partner violence and HIV in rural South Africa: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet 368: 1973–1983. 17141704
110. Aizer A (2010) The gender wage gap and domestic violence. Am Econ Rev 100: 1847–1859. 25110354
111. Green EP, Blattman C, Jamison J, Annan J (2015) Women's entrepreneurship and intimate partner violence: A cluster randomized trial of microenterprise assistance and partner participation in post-conflict Uganda. Soc Sci Med 133: 177–188. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.03.042 25875324