1. Garcia-Moreno C, Jansen H, Ellsberg M, Heise L, Watts CH, et al.. (2005) The WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violence. Geneva: World Health Organization.
2. FanslowJ, WhiteheadA, SilvaM, RobinsonE (2008) Contraceptive use and associations with intimate partner violence among a population-based sample of New Zealand women. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 48: 83–89.
3. PallittoCC, García-MorenoC, JansenH, HeiseL, EllsbergM, et al. (2013) Intimate partner violence, abortion, and unintended pregnancy: Results from the WHO Multi-country Study on Women's Health and Domestic Violence. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 120: 3–9.
4. SilvermanJG, GuptaJ, DeckerMR, KapurN, RajA (2007) Intimate partner violence and unwanted pregnancy, miscarriage, induced abortion, and stillbirth among a national sample of Bangladeshi women. BJOG 114: 1246–1252.
5. MartinSL, KilgallenB, TsuiAO, MaitraK, SinghKK, et al. (1999) Sexual behaviors and reproductive health outcomes: Associations with wife abuse in India. JAMA 282: 1967–1972.
6. MillerE, DeckerMR, McCauleyHL, TancrediD, LevensonR, et al. (2010) Pregnancy coercion, intimate partner violence, and unintended pregnancy. Contraception 81: 316–322.
7. SilvermanJG, RajA, MucciLA, HathawayJE (2001) Dating violence against adolescent girls and associated substance use, unhealthy weight control, sexual risk behavior, pregnancy, and suicidality. JAMA 286: 572–579.
8. SilvermanJG, DeckerMR, McCauleyHL, GuptaJ, MillerE, et al. (2010) Male perpetration of intimate partner violence and involvement in abortions and abortion-related conflict. Am J Public Health 100: 1415–1417.
9. World Health Organization (2011) Unsafe abortion: global and regional estimates of the incidence of unsafe abortion and associated mortality in 2008. Geneva: World Health Organization.
10. MillerE, LevensonR, JordanB, SilvermanJG (2010) Reproductive coercion: Connecting the dots between partner violence and unintended pregnancy. Contraception 81: 457–459.
11. World Health Organization (2013) Responding to intimate partner violence and sexual violence against women: WHO clinical and policy guidelines. Geneva: World Health Organization.
12. ColombiniM, MayhewS, WattsC (2008) Health-sector responses to intimate partner violence in low- and middle-income settings: a review of current models, challenges and opportunities. Bull World Health Organ 86: 635–642.
13. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (2013) Committee Opinion: Reproductive Health and Sexual Coercion. Obstet Gynecol 121: 411–415.
14. Bourdieu P, Wacquant L (1992) An Invitation to Reflexive Sociology. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
15. Scheper-HughesN (1990) Three propositions for a critically applied medical anthropology. Soc Sci Med 30: 189–197.
16. SilvermanJG, DeckerMR, McCauleyHL, RajA, ReedE, et al. (2011) Coercive and deceptive forms of sexual risk and associated violence perpetrated by male partners of female adolescents. Perspect Sex Reprod Health 43: 60–65.
17. PallittoC, O'CampoP (2005) Community level effects of gender inequality on intimate partner violence and unintended pregnancy in Colombia: Testing the feminist perspective. Soc Sci Med 60: 2205–2216.
18. TsaiAC, SubramanianSV (2012) Proximate context of gender-unequal norms and women's HIV risk in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 26: 381–386.
19. ClarkCJ, SilvermanJG, KhalafIA, Ra'adBA, Al Sha'arZA, et al. (2008) Intimate partner violence and interference in women's efforts to avoid pregnancy: A cross-sectional study of women attending family planning clinics in Jordan. Stud Fam Plann 39: 123–132.
20. GuptaJ, FalbK, KpeboD, AnnanJ (2012) Abuse from in-laws and associations with attempts to control reproductive decisions among rural women in Côte d'Ivoire: a cross-sectional study. BJOG 119: 1058–1066.
21. MillerE, DeckerMR, McCauleyHL, TancrediDJ, LevensonRR, et al. (2011) A family planning clinic partner violence intervention to reduce risk associated with reproductive coercion: results of a small-scale RCT. Contraception 83: 274–280.
22. RajA, SaggurtiN, BattalaM, NairS, DasguptaA, et al. (2013) Randomized Controlled Trial to Test the RHANI Wives HIV Intervention for Women in India at Risk for HIV from Husbands. AIDS and Behavior 17: 3066–3080.
23. RajA, McDougalL, ReedE, SilvermanJG (2014) Associations of marital violence with different forms of contraception: Cross-sectional findings from South Asia. Int J Gynaecol Obstet In press.
24. TsuVD, ShaneB (2004) New and underutilized technologies to reduce maternal mortality: Call to action from a Bellagio workshop. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 85: S83–S93.
25. Westoff CF (2012) Unmet need for modern contraceptive methods. DHS Analytic Studies No. 28. Calverton, Maryland, United States. ICF International. Available: http://measuredhs.com/pubs/pdf/AS28/AS28.pdf. Accessed 22 September 2013.
26. Hartmann B (1995) Reproductive Rights and Wrongs: The Global Politics of Population Control. Boston: South End Press.
27. BreitbartV (2000) Counseling for medical abortion. Am J Obstet Gynecol 183: S26–S33.
28. KeleherH, FranklinL (2008) Changing gendered norms about women and girls at the level of household and community: A review of the evidence. Glob Public Health 3 (S1) 42–57.
29. SchensulSL, SaggurtiN, SinghR, VermaRK, NastasiBK, et al. (2009) Multilevel perspectives on community intervention: an example from an Indo-US HIV prevention project in Mumbai, India. Amer J Community Psych 43: 277–291.
30. JewkesR, NdunaM, LevinJ, JamaN, DunkleK, et al. (2008) Impact of Stepping Stones on incidence of HIV and HSV-2 and sexual behaviour in rural South Africa. BMJ 337: a506.
31. MillerE, TancrediDJ, McCauleyHL, DeckerMR, VirataMC, et al. (2012) “Coaching boys into men”: a cluster-randomized controlled trial of a dating violence prevention program. J Adolesc Health 51: 431–438.