1. TaylorAL, HwendaL, LarsenBI, DaulaireN (2011) Stemming the brain drain–a WHO global code of practice on international recruitment of health personnel. N? Engl? J? Med 365: 2348–2351.
2. DimayaRM, McEwenMK, CurryLA, BradleyEH (2012) Managing health worker migration: a qualitative study of the Philippine response to nurse brain drain. Hum Resour Health 10: 47.
3. World Health Organization (2010) WHO Global Code of Practice on the International Recruitment of Health Personnel. Geneva, Switzerland. Available: http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA63/A63_R16-en.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2013.
4. Word Health Organization (2013) The health workforce: advances in responding to shortages and migration, and in preparing for emerging needs. Report by the Secretariat to the World Health Assembly Available: http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA66/A66_25-en.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2013.
5. TankwanchiA, OzdenC, VermundS (2013) Physician emigration from Sub-Saharan Africa to the United States: analysis of the 2011 AMA Physician Masterfile. PLoS Med 10: e1001513 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001513
6. Tulenko K (2012 September 12 New York Times) America's health worker mismatch. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/14/opinion/americas-health-worker-mismatch.html?_r=0. Accessed 17 July 2013.
7. RabinowitzHK (1993) Recruitment, retention, and follow-up of graduates of a program to increase the number of family physicians in rural and underserved areas. N? Engl? J? Med 328: 934–939.
8. RabinowitzHK, PettersonS, BoulgerJG, HunsakerML, DiamondJJ, et al. (2012) Medical school rural programs: a comparison with international medical graduates in addressing state-level rural family physician and primary care supply. Acad Med 87: 488–492.
9. KerrJR, BrownJJ (2006) Of a medical education: comparison with graduate education in law and business. J? Am Coll Radiol 3: 122–130.
10. AcostaD, OlsenP (2006) Meeting the needs of regional minority groups: the University of Washington's programs to increase the American Indian and Alaskan native physician workforce. Acad Med 81: 863–870.
11. HartLG, SkillmanSM, HagopianA, FordyceMA, ThompsonMJ, et al. (2005) International medical graduate physicians in the U.S.: changes since 1981, working paper number 102. WWAMI Center for Health Workforce Studies
12. WHO (2006) World health report: working together for health. Geneva: WHO.
13. McCoyD, BennettS, WitterS, PondB, BakerB, et al. (2008) Salaries and incomes of health workers in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet 371: 675–681.
14. Center for Global Development (2007) Does the IMF constrain health spending in poor countries? Evidence and an agenda for action. Available: http://www.cgdev.org/doc/IMF/IMF_Report.pdf. Accessed 17 July 2013.
15. BlacklockC, HeneghanC, MantD, WardA (2012) Effect of UK policy on medical migration: a time series analysis of physician registration data. Human Resources for Health 10: 35.
16. Management Sciences for Health (2010) Evaluation of Malawi's Emergency Human Resources Programme. Available: http://www.msh.org/news-bureau/msh-publishes-evaluation-of-malawi-human-resource-program.cfm. Accessed 17 July 2013.
17. GottipatiSruthi (2012 April 25) What is the Ministry of Health trying to tell doctors? New York Times Available: http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/25/what-is-the-ministry-of-health-trying-to-tell-doctors/. Accessed 22 July 2013.
18. Lazuta J (2013) Liberian government talks with striking health workers. Voice of America. Available: http://www.voanews.com/content/liberian-government-talking-with-striking-health-care-workers/1716851.html. Accessed 6 August 2013.
19. NairM, WebsterP (2013) Health professionals' migration in emerging market economies: patterns, causes and possible solutions. J? Public Health (Oxf) 35: 157–163.
20. DoleaC, StormontL, BraichetJM (2010) Evaluated strategies to increase attraction and retention of health workers in remote and rural areas. Bull World Health Organ 88: 379–385.
21. MullanF, FrehywotS (2007) Non-physician clinicians in 47 sub-Saharan African countries. Lancet 370: 2158–2163.
22. LewinS, Munabi-BabigumiraS, GlentonC, DanielsK, Bosch-CapblanchX, et al. (2010) Lay health workers in primary and community health care for maternal and child health and the management of infectious diseases. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD004015.
23. TungRL (2008) Brain circulation, diaspora, and international competitiveness. Eur Manag? J 26: 298–304.
24. AHA (2007) America's hospitals confront serious workforce challenges. Available: http://www.ahanews.com/ahanews/jsp/display.jsp?dcrpath=AHANEWS/AHANewsArticle/data/AHA_News_070820_Americas_hospitals&domain=AHANEWS. Accessed 24 July 2013.
25. The Atlantic (2012) 53% of recent college grads are jobless or underemployed—how? Available: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/04/53-of-recent-college-grads-are-jobless-or-underemployed-how/256237/. Accessed 24 July 2013.
26. AHRQ (2012) Trained paramedics provide ongoing support to frequent 911 callers, reducing use of ambulance and emergency department services. Available: http://www.innovations.ahrq.gov/content.aspx?id=3343. Accessed 22 July 2013.
27. Global Health Workforce Alliance. Third Global Forum on Human Resources for Health. Available: http://www.who.int/workforcealliance/forum/2013/en/index.html. Accessed 6 August 2013.