1. Martino S, Cauley JA, Barrett Connor E, Powles TJ, Mershon J, Disch D, et al. Continuing outcomes relevant to Evista: breast cancer incidence in postmenopausal osteoporotic women in a randomized trial of raloxifene. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96(23):1751-1761.
2. Compston JE. Do we need to monitor anti-osteoporosis treatment anyway? Calcif Tissue Int 2003; 72(4):328.
3. Blake GM, Fogelman I. The role of bone density measurements in the evaluation of new treatments for osteoporosis. Curr Pharm Des 2002; 8(21):1885–1905.
4. Hochberg MC, Ross PD, Black D, Cummings SR, Genant HK, Nevitt MC, et al. Larger increases in bone mineral density during alendronate therapy are associated with a lower risk of new vertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. Arthritis Rheum 1999; 42(6):1246–1254.
5. Cummings SR, Palermo L, Browner W, Marcus R, Wallace R, Pearson J, et al. Monitoring osteoporosis therapy with bone densitometry: misleading changes and regression to the mean. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. JAMA 2000; 283(10):1318–1321.
6. Watts NB, Cooper C, Lindsay R, Eastell R, Manhart MD, Barton IP, et al. Relationship between changes in bone mineral density and vertebral fracture risk associated with risedronate: greater increases in bone mineral density do not relate to greater decreases in fracture risk. J Clin Densitom 2004; 7(3):255–261.
7. Štěpán JJ, Zikán V. Calcitonin load test to assess the efficacy of salmon calcitonin. Clin Chim Acta 2003; 336(1–2):49–55.
8. Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, Dawson A, De Laet C, Jonsson B. Ten year probabilities of osteoporotic fractures according to BMD and diagnostic thresholds. Osteoporos Int 2001;12(12):989–995.
9. Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, Jonsson B, De Laet C, Dawson A. Risk of hip fracture according to the World Health Organization criteria for osteopenia and osteoporosis. Bone 2000;27(5):585–590.
10. WHO. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Report of a WHO Study Group. Geneva: World Health Organisation; 1994.
11. Courtney AC, Wachtel EF, Myers ER, Hayes WC. Effects of loading rate on strength of the proximal femur. Calcif Tissue Int 1994; 55(1):53–58.
12. Kanis JA. Assessing the risk of vertebral osteoporosis. Singapore Med J 2002; 43(2):100–105.
13. Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Harris F, Genant HK, Ensrud K, LaCroix AZ, et al. Improvement in spine bone density and reduction in risk of vertebral fractures during treatment with antiresorptive drugs. Am J Med 2002; 112(4):281–289.
14. Harris ST, Watts NB, Genant HK, McKeever CD, Hangartner T, Keller M, et al. Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trial. Vertebral Efficacy With Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. JAMA 1999; 282(14):1344–1352.
15. Wasnich R, Miller PD, Huss H, Chesnut CH, Wilson K, Schimmer RC. Association between fracture efficacy and bone mineral density change with ibandronate: results from the BONE Study Osteoporos Int 2003; 14(Suppl 7):S 76.
16. Cummings SR, Bates D, Black DM. Clinical use of bone densitometry: scientific review. JAMA 2002; 288(15):1889–1897.
17. Kanis JA, Gluer CC. An update on the diagnosis and assessment of osteoporosis with densitometry. Committee of Scientific Advisors, International Osteoporosis Foundation. Osteoporos Int 2000; 11(3):192–202.
18. Bonnick SL, Johnston CC, Jr., Kleerekoper M, Lindsay R, Miller P, Sherwood L, et al. Importance of precision in bone density measurements. J Clin Densitom 2001; 4(2):105–110.
19. Gluer CC. Quantitative ultrasound techniques for the assessment of osteoporosis: expert agreement on current status. The International Quantitative Ultrasound Consensus Group. J Bone Miner Res 1997; 12(8):1280–1288.
20. Borah B, Dufresne TE, Ritman EL, Jorgensen SM, Liu S, Chmielewski PA, et al. Long-term risedronate treatment normalizes mineralization and continues to preserve trabecular architecture: sequential triple biopsy studies with micro-computed tomography. Bone 2006; 39(2):345–352.
21. Boivin GY, Chavassieux PM, Santora AC, Yates J, Meunier PJ. Alendronate increases bone strength by increasing the mean degree of mineralization of bone tissue in osteoporotic women. Bone 2000;27(5):687–694.
22. Allen MR, Iwata K, Sato M, Burr DB. Raloxifene enhances vertebral mechanical properties independent of bone density. Bone 2006; 39(5):1130–1135.
23. Borah B, Dufresne TE, Chmielewski PA, Johnson TD, Chines A, Manhart MD. Risedronate preserves bone architecture in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis as measured by three-dimensional microcomputed tomography. Bone 2004;34(4):736–746.
24. Chesnut C, Majumdar S, Shields A, Newitt D, Laschansky E, Kriegman A, et al. Salmon calcitonin nasal spray (CT-NS) may preserve/improve trabecular microarchitecture (TMA) in the distal radius through through 2 years in postmenopausal osteporotic women (PM-OP): High resolution MRI (HR-MRI) results from the QUEST Study. J Bone Miner Res 2003; 18(Suppl 2):S92.
25. Podenphant J, Engel U. Regional variations in histomorphometric bone dynamics from the skeleton of an osteoporotic woman. Calcif Tissue Int 1987; 40(4):184–188.
26. Riggs BL, Melton LJ, 3rd. Bone turnover matters: the raloxifene treatment paradox of dramatic decreases in vertebral fractures without commensurate increases in bone density. J Bone Miner Res 2002; 17(1):11–14.
27. Štěpán JJ, Pospíchal J, Presl J, Pacovský V. Bone loss and biochemical indices of bone remodeling in surgically induced postmenopausal women. Bone 1987; 8(5):279–284.
28. Prestwood KM, Gunness M, Muchmore DB, Lu Y, Wong M, Raisz LG. A comparison of the effects of raloxifene and estrogen on bone in postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000; 85(6):2197–2202.
29. Štěpán JJ, Pospíchal J, Schreiber V, Kaňka J, Menšík J, Presl J, et al. The application of plasma tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase to assess changes in bone resorption in response to artificial menopause and its treatment with estrogen or norethisterone. Calcif Tissue Int 1989; 45(5):273–280.
30. Štěpán JJ. Clinical utility of bone markers in the evaluation and follow-up of osteoporotic patients: why are the markers poorly accepted by clinicians? J Endocrinol Invest 2003; 26(5):458–463.
31. Hannon R, Blumsohn A, Naylor K, Eastell R. Response of biochemical markers of bone turnover to hormone replacement therapy: impact of biological variability. J Bone Miner Res 1998; 13(7):1124–1133.
32. Delmas PD, Vrijens B, Eastell R, Roux C, Pols HA, Ringe JD, et al. Effect of monitoring bone turnover markers on persistence with risedronate treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92(4):1296–1304.
33. Štěpán JJ. Prediction of bone loss in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 2000; 11 Suppl 6:S45–54.
34. Greenspan SL, Resnick NM, Parker RA. Early changes in biochemical markers of bone turnover are associated with long-term changes in bone mineral density in elderly women on alendronate, hormone replacement therapy, or combination therapy: a three-year, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90(5):2762–2767.
35. Garnero P. Markers of bone turnover for the prediction of fracture risk. Osteoporos Int 2000; 11(Suppl 6):55–65.
36. Bauer DC, Black DM, Garnero P, Hochberg M, Ott S, Orloff J, et al. Change in bone turnover and hip, non-spine, and vertebral fracture in alendronate-treated women: the fracture intervention trial. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19(8):1250–1258.
37. Bjarnason NH, Sarkar S, Duong T, Mitlak B, Delmas PD, Christiansen C. Six and twelve month changes in bone turnover are related to reduction in vertebral fracture risk during 3 years of raloxifene treatment in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 2001; 12(11):922–930.
38. Eastell R, Barton I, Hannon RA, Chines A, Garnero P, Delmas PD. Relationship of early changes in bone resorption to the reduction in fracture risk with risedronate. J Bone Miner Res 2003;18(6):1051–1056.
39. Štěpán JJ, Alenfeld F, Boivin G, Feyen JH, Lakatos P. Mechanisms of action of antiresorptive therapies of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Regul 2003; 37(4):225–238.
40. Michalská D, Štěpán JJ, Basson BR, Pavo I. The effect of raloxifene after discontinuation of long-term alendronate treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91(3):870-877.
41. Delmas PD, Eastell R, Garnero P, Seibel MJ, Štěpán J. The use of biochemical markers of bone turnover in osteoporosis. Committee of Scientific Advisors of the International Osteoporosis Foundation. Osteoporos Int 2000;11 Suppl 6:S2–17.
42. Chesnut CH, Silverman S, Andriano K, Genant H, Gimona A, Harris S, et al. A randomized trial of nasal spray salmon calcitonin in postmenopausal women with established osteoporosis: the prevent recurrence of osteoporotic fractures study. PROOF Study Group. Am J Med 2000; 109(4):267–276.
43. Gerdhem P, Ivaska KK, Alatalo SL, Halleen JM, Hellman J, Isaksson A, et al. Biochemical markers of bone metabolism and prediction of fracture in elderly women. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19(3):386–393.
44. Recker RR, Kimmel DB, Parfitt AM, Davies KM, Keshawarz N, Hinders S. Static and tetracycline-based bone histomorphometric data from 34 normal postmenopausal females. J Bone Miner Res 1988; 3(2):133–144.
45. Boivin G, Chavassieux P, Meunier P. Histomorphometry of bone. Effects of different treatments on bone remodeling and mineralization. Osteologicky Bull 2002; 7(1):5–9.
46. Štěpán JJ, Burr DB, Pavo I, Sipos A, Michalská D, Li J, et al. Prevalent fractures, low bone mineral density and ageing are associated with greater histomorphometric indicators of microdamage accumulation in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20(Suppl 1):S90–91.
47. Richer E, Lewis MA, Odvina CV, Vazquez MA, Smith BJ, Peterson RD, et al. Reduction in normalized bone elasticity following long-term bisphosphonate treatment as measured by ultrasound critical angle reflectometry. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16(11):1384–1392.
48. Odvina CV, Zerwekh JE, Rao DS, Maalouf N, Gottschalk FA, Pak CY. Severely suppressed bone turnover: a potential complication of alendronate therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005; 90(3):1294–1301.
49. Del Fattore A, Peruzzi B, Rucci N, Recchia I, Cappariello A, Longo M, et al. Clinical, genetic, and cellular analysis of 49 osteopetrotic patients: implications for diagnosis and treatment. J Med Genet 2006; 43(4):315–325.
50. Eastell R, Krege JH, Chen P, Glass EV, Reginster JY. Development of an algorithm for using PINP to monitor treatment of patients with teriparatide. Curr Med Res Opin 2006; 22(1):61–66.