HEALTH FAILURE MODE AND EFFECTS ANALYSIS APPLIED TO HOME MECHANICAL VENTILATION
Ondřej Gajdoš; Martin Rožánek; Vojtěch Kamenský; Ivana Kubátová
Department of Biomedical Technology, Faculty of Biomedical Engineering
; Czech Technical University in Prague, Kladno, Czech Republic
Vyšlo v časopise:
Lékař a technika - Clinician and Technology No. 3, 2020, 50, 85-94
To use home mechanical ventilation, it is necessary to choose the right target group that can benefit from moving to home care. Moving a patient to home care with home mechanical ventilation involves a number of risks. The aim of this study was to use Health Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (HFMEA) to analyse health risks at a time when a patient is just preparing to move to home care, and a nursing plan is being drawn up. HFMEA was used to analyse health risks. The expert team divided the process of nursing care into 7 parts with other own subprocess, which are 18 in total. Altogether, 41 risks were identified, of which 14 failures were analysed after HFMEA application, potential causes were defined, and their follow-up proposed. According to the results of the method used and the analysis of individual risks, it is necessary to focus on detailed setting of the nursing plan with thorough education of informal caregivers who play an important role in it. The education should be regularly repeated and the check of care itself should be supported by created checklists to confirm the individual steps
- Bellani G, Laffey JG, Pham T, Fan E, Brochard L, Esteban A, et al. Epidemiology, patterns of care, and mortality for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome in intensive care units in 50 countries. J Am Med Assoc. 2016;315(8):788–800. DOI: 10.1001/jama.2016.0291
- Wang CY, Calfee CS, Paul DW, Janz DR, May AK, Zhuo H, et al. One-year mortality and predictors of death among hospital survivors of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Intensive Care Med. 2014;40(3):388–96. DOI: 10.1007/s00134-013-3186-3
- Amato MBP, Meade MO, Slutsky AS, Brochard L, Costa ELV, Schoenfeld DA, et al. Driving pressure and survival in the acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2014;372(8):747–55. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMsa1410639
- Branson RD. Automation of Mechanical Ventilation. Crit Care Clin. 2018;34(3):383–94. DOI: 10.1016/j.ccc.2018.03.012
- Piper A. Discharge planning and management for patients with chronic respiratory failure using home mechanical ventilation. 2010;6(4):323–33. DOI: 10.1183/18106838.0604.322
- Tuggey JM, Delmastro M, Elliott MW. The effect of mouth leak and humidification during nasal non-invasive ventilation. Respir Med. 2007;1874–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.rmed.2007.05.005
- Lechtzin N, Weiner CM, Clawson L. A Fatal Complication of Noninvasive Ventilation. N Engl J Med. 2001;344(7):533. DOI: 10.1056/NEJM200102153440718
- Srinivasan S, Doty SM, White TR, Segura VH, Jansen MT, Ward SLD, et al. Frequency, Causes, and Outcome of Home Ventilator Failure Chest. 1998;114(5):1363–7. DOI: 10.1378/chest.114.5.1363
- Chatwin M, Heather S, Hanak A, Polkey MI, Simonds AK. Analysis of home support and ventilator malfunction in 1,211 ventilator-dependent patients. Eur Respir J. 2010;35(2):310–6. DOI: 10.1183/09031936.00073409
- González-Moro JMR, Vivero GA, Díez JDM, Martín SL, Sánchez C, Alonso JLI, et al. Bacterial Colonization and Home Mechanical Ventilation: Prevalence and Risk Factors. Arch Bronconeumol. 2004;40(9):392–6.
- Kesteren RG van, Velthuis B, Leyden LW van. Psychosocial Problems Arising from Home Ventilation. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2001;6(80).
- Gajic O, Frutos-Vivar F, Esteban A, Hubmayr RD, Anzueto A. Ventilator settings as a risk factor for acute respiratory distress syndrome in mechanically ventilated patients Risk. Intensive Care Med. 2005;5(31):922–6.
- Reiter K, Pernath N, Pagel P, Hiedi S, Hoffmann F, Schoen C, et al. Risk Factors for Morbidity and Mortality in Pediatric Home Mechanical Ventilation. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011; 50(3):237–43. DOI: 10.1177/0009922810388508
- Alharbi HHO, Roy SS, Astird OA. Predictors of 1-Year Mor-tality inpatients with Non-invasive Home Mechanical Ventila-tion. Int J Sci Eng Res. 2016;7(8):885–9.
- Stieglitz S, George S, Priegnitz C, Hagmeyer L, Randerath W. Frequency and management of respiratory incidents in invasive home ventilation. Chron Respir Dis. 2013;3(10):135–40.
- Edwards JD, Kun SS, Keens T. Outcomes and Causes of Death in Children on Home Mechanical Ventilation via Tracheo-stomy: An Institutional and Literature Review. J Pediatr. 2010;6(157):955–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2010.06.012
- Faiella G, Clemente F, Romano M, Bifulco P, Cesarelli M. FMECA and HFMEA of indoor air quality management in home mechanical ventilation. 2014 IEEE Int Symp Med Meas Appl. 2014; 1–. DOI: 10.1109/MeMeA.2014.6860116
- Gajdoš O, Kamenský V, Erfanyuková A, Rožánek M. Failure mode and effects analysis application on a home mechanical ventilation. 2019 7th E-Health Bioeng Conf EHB 2019. 2019; 31–4. DOI: 10.1109/EHB47216.2019.8970054
- Rah J-E, Manger RP, Yock AD, Kim G-Y. A comparison of two prospective risk analysis methods: Traditional FMEA and a modified healthcare FMEA. Med Phys. 2016 Nov;43(12): 6347–53. DOI: 10.1118/1.4966129
- Vélez-Díaz-Pallarés M, Delgado-Silveira E, Carretero-Accame ME, Bermejo-Vicedo T. Using Healthcare Failure Mode and Effect Analysis to reduce medication errors in the process of drug prescription, validation and dispensing in hospitalised patients. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013 Jan;22(1):42–52.
- Lloyd-Owen SJ, Donaldson GC, Ambrosino N, Escarabill J, Farre R, Fauroux B, et al. Patterns of home mechanical ventila-tion use in Europe: results from the Eurovent survey. Eur Respir J. 2005 Jun;25(6):1025-31.
- Gershon RR, Pogorzelska M, Qureshi KA, Stone PW, Canton AN, Samar SM, et al. Home Health Care Patients and Safety Hazards in the Home: Preliminary Findings. In: Advances in Patient Safety: New Directions and Alternative Approaches (Vol 1: Assessment). Rockville: Agency for Healthcare Re-search and Quality; 2008.
- Simonds AK. Risk management of the home ventilator depen-dent patient. Thorax. 2006;61(5):369–71.
- Shaqdan K, Aran S, Besheli LD, Abujudeh H. Root-Cause Analysis and Health Failure Mode and Effect Analysis: Two Leading Techniques in Health Care Quality Assessment. J Am Coll Radiol. 2014;11:572–9. DOI: 10.1016/j.jacr.2013.10.024
- Kubátová I, Chlouba M, Gajdoš O. Design Model for Risk Assessment for Home-Care Lung Ventilation. In: Lhotská L, et al., editors. IFMBE Proceedings: World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering 2018. Prague: Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd.; 2019. p. 391–7