1. BurriPH (2006) Structural aspects of postnatal lung development - alveolar formation and growth. Biol Neonate 89: 313–322.
2. Mechanisms and limits of induced postnatal lung growth. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170: 319–343.
3. WareLB, MatthayMA (2002) Keratinocyte and hepatocyte growth factors in the lung: roles in lung development, inflammation, and repair. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282: L924–940.
4. StokerM, GherardiE, PerrymanM, GrayJ (1987) Scatter factor is a fibroblast-derived modulator of epithelial cell mobility. Nature 327: 239–242.
5. MasonRJ (2002) Hepatocyte growth factor: the key to alveolar septation? Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 26: 517–520.
6. ZhangYW, Vande WoudeGF (2003) HGF/SF-met signaling in the control of branching morphogenesis and invasion. J Cell Biochem 88: 408–417.
7. SakamakiY, MatsumotoK, MizunoS, MiyoshiS, MatsudaH, et al. (2002) Hepatocyte growth factor stimulates proliferation of respiratory epithelial cells during postpneumonectomy compensatory lung growth in mice. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 26: 525–533.
8. OhmichiH, MatsumotoK, NakamuraT (1996) In vivo mitogenic action of HGF on lung epithelial cells: pulmotrophic role in lung regeneration. Am J Physiol 270: L1031–1039.
9. GazdharA, FachingerP, van LeerC, PierogJ, GuggerM, et al. (2007) Gene transfer of hepatocyte growth factor by electroporation reduces bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 292: L529–536.
10. YamamotoH, YunEJ, GerberHP, FerraraN, WhitsettJA, et al. (2007) Epithelial-vascular cross talk mediated by VEGF-A and HGF signaling directs primary septae formation during distal lung morphogenesis. Dev Biol 308: 44–53.
11. PerlAK, TichelaarJW, WhitsettJA (2002) Conditional gene expression in the respiratory epithelium of the mouse. Transgenic Res 11: 21–29.
12. HuhCG, FactorVM, SanchezA, UchidaK, ConnerEA, et al. (2004) Hepatocyte growth factor/Met signaling pathway is required for efficient liver regeneration and repair. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 4477–4482.
13. BorowiakM, GarrattAN, WustefeldT, StrehleM, TrautweinC, et al. (2004) Met provides essential signals for liver regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 10608–10613.
14. CrepaldiT, GautreauA, ComoglioPM, LouvardD, ArpinM (1997) Ezrin is an effector of hepatocyte growth factor-mediated migration and morphogenesis in epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 138: 423–434.
15. RidleyAJ, ComoglioPM, HallA (1995) Regulation of scatter factor/hepatocyte growth factor responses by Ras, Rac, and Rho in MDCK cells. Mol Cell Biol 15: 1110–1122.
16. MasonRJ, LeslieCC, McCormick-ShannonK, DeterdingRR, NakamuraT, et al. (1994) Hepatocyte growth factor is a growth factor for rat alveolar type II cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 11: 561–567.
17. ShiratoriM, MichalopoulosG, ShinozukaH, SinghG, OgasawaraH, et al. (1995) Hepatocyte growth factor stimulates DNA synthesis in alveolar epithelial type II cells in vitro. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 12: 171–180.
18. MartoranaPA, van EvenP, GardiC, LungarellaG (1989) A 16-month study of the development of genetic emphysema in tight-skin mice. Am Rev Respir Dis 139: 226–232.
19. PodowskiM, CalviCL, CheadleC, TuderRM, BiswalsS, et al. (2009) Complex integration of matrix, oxidative stress, and apoptosis in genetic emphysema. Am J Pathol 175: 84–96.
20. TrusolinoL, BertottiA, ComoglioPM (2010) MET signalling: principles and functions in development, organ regeneration and cancer. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 11: 834–848.
21. LiuY (2004) Hepatocyte growth factor in kidney fibrosis: therapeutic potential and mechanisms of action. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 287: F7–16.
22. KimWH, MatsumotoK, BesshoK, NakamuraT (2005) Growth inhibition and apoptosis in liver myofibroblasts promoted by hepatocyte growth factor leads to resolution from liver cirrhosis. Am J Pathol 166: 1017–1028.
23. HojoS, FujitaJ, YoshinouchiT, YamanouchiH, KameiT, et al. (1997) Hepatocyte growth factor and neutrophil elastase in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Respir Med 91: 511–516.
24. DohiM, HasegawaT, YamamotoK, MarshallBC (2000) Hepatocyte growth factor attenuates collagen accumulation in a murine model of pulmonary fibrosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162: 2302–2307.
25. LiuY (2002) Hepatocyte growth factor and the kidney. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 11: 23–30.
26. YaekashiwaM, NakayamaS, OhnumaK, SakaiT, AbeT, et al. (1997) Simultaneous or delayed administration of hepatocyte growth factor equally represses the fibrotic changes in murine lung injury induced by bleomycin. A morphologic study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 156: 1937–1944.
27. PanosRJ, RubinJS, CsakyKG, AaronsonSA, MasonRJ (1993) Keratinocyte growth factor and hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor are heparin-binding growth factors for alveolar type II cells in fibroblast-conditioned medium. J Clin Invest 92: 969–977.
28. SakonM, KitaY, YoshidaT, UmeshitaK, GotohM, et al. (1996) Plasma hepatocyte growth factor levels are increased in systemic inflammatory response syndrome. Surg Today 26: 236–241.
29. SekineK, FujishimaS, AikawaN (2004) Plasma hepatocyte growth factor is increased in early-phase sepsis. J Infect Chemother 10: 110–114.
30. PlantierL, Marchand-AdamS, Marchal-SommeJ, LesecheG, FournierM, et al. (2005) Defect of hepatocyte growth factor production by fibroblasts in human pulmonary emphysema. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 288: L641–647.
31. BonayM, BouttenA, Lecon-MalasV, MarchalJ, SolerP, et al. (2005) Hepatocyte and keratinocyte growth factors and their receptors in human lung emphysema. BMC Pulm Med 5: 13.
32. JaffreS, DehouxM, PaugamC, GrenierA, Chollet-MartinS, et al. (2002) Hepatocyte growth factor is produced by blood and alveolar neutrophils in acute respiratory failure. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282: L310–315.
33. LassusP, HeikkilaP, AnderssonLC, von BoguslawskiK, AnderssonS (2003) Lower concentration of pulmonary hepatocyte growth factor is associated with more severe lung disease in preterm infants. J Pediatr 143: 199–202.
34. MiettinenPJ, WarburtonD, BuD, ZhaoJS, BergerJE, et al. (1997) Impaired lung branching morphogenesis in the absence of functional EGF receptor. Dev Biol 186: 224–236.
35. BostromH, Gritli-LindeA, BetsholtzC (2002) PDGF-A/PDGF alpha-receptor signaling is required for lung growth and the formation of alveoli but not for early lung branching morphogenesis. Dev Dyn 223: 155–162.
36. MinH, DanilenkoDM, ScullySA, BolonB, RingBD, et al. (1998) Fgf-10 is required for both limb and lung development and exhibits striking functional similarity to Drosophila branchless. Genes Dev 12: 3156–3161.
37. IngramJL, BonnerJC (2006) EGF and PDGF receptor tyrosine kinases as therapeutic targets for chronic lung diseases. Curr Mol Med 6: 409–421.
38. PapaioannouAI, KostikasK, KolliaP, GourgoulianisKI (2006) Clinical implications for vascular endothelial growth factor in the lung: friend or foe? Respir Res 7: 128.
39. YiES, WilliamsST, LeeH, MalickiDM, ChinEM, et al. (1996) Keratinocyte growth factor ameliorates radiation- and bleomycin-induced lung injury and mortality. Am J Pathol 149: 1963–1970.
40. SimonetWS, DeRoseML, BucayN, NguyenHQ, WertSE, et al. (1995) Pulmonary malformation in transgenic mice expressing human keratinocyte growth factor in the lung. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 92: 12461–12465.
41. RayP (2005) Protection of epithelial cells by keratinocyte growth factor signaling. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2: 221–225.
42. CramerA, KleinerS, WestermannM, MeissnerA, LangeA, et al. (2005) Activation of the Met receptor complex in fibroblasts drives invasive cell behavior by signaling through transcription factor STAT3. J Cell Biochem 95: 805–816.
43. HokutoI, IkegamiM, YoshidaM, TakedaK, AkiraS, et al. (2004) Stat-3 is required for pulmonary homeostasis during hyperoxia. J Clin Invest 113: 28–37.
44. LianX, QinY, HossainSA, YangL, WhiteA, et al. (2005) Overexpression of Stat3C in pulmonary epithelium protects against hyperoxic lung injury. J Immunol 174: 7250–7256.
45. LuY, ParkynL, OtterbeinLE, KureishiY, WalshK, et al. (2001) Activated Akt protects the lung from oxidant-induced injury and delays death of mice. J Exp Med 193: 545–549.
46. AlphonseRS, VadivelA, ColtanL, EatonF, BarrAJ, et al. Activation of Akt protects alveoli from neonatal oxygen-induced lung injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 44: 146–154.
47. TogoS, SugiuraH, NelsonA, KobayashiT, WangX, et al. Hepatic growth factor (HGF) inhibits cigarette smoke extract induced apoptosis in human bronchial epithelial cells. Exp Cell Res 316: 3501–3511.
48. DentonCP, ZhengB, ShiwenX, ZhangZ, Bou-GhariosG, et al. (2001) Activation of a fibroblast-specific enhancer of the proalpha2(I) collagen gene in tight-skin mice. Arthritis Rheum 44: 712–722.