1. WHO/UNICEF (2012) Countdown to 2015: building a future for women and children: the 2012 report. Washington, DC: World Health Organization/UNICEF.
2. VictoraCG, BarrosAJD, AxelsonH, BhuttaZA, ChopraM, et al. (2012) How changes in coverage affect equity in maternal and child health interventions in 35 Countdown to 2015 countries: an analysis of national surveys. Lancet 380: 1149–56 doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61427-5.
3. Institute of Medicine (2001) Crossing the quality chasm: a new health system for the 21st century. Available: http://www.nap.edu/html/quality_chasm/reportbrief.pdf. Accessed 12 Nov 2012.
4. ShiffmanJ (2009) A social explanation for the rise and fall of global health issues. Bull World Health Organ 87: 608–613 doi:10.2471/BLT.08.060748.
5. Tudor HartJ (1971) The inverse care law. Lancet 7696: 405–412.
6. BennettS, SsengoobaF (2010) Closing the gaps: from science to action in maternal, newborn, and child health in Africa. PLoS Med 7 (6) e1000298 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000298.
7. GrahamWJ, CampbellOMR (1992) Maternal health and the measurement trap. Soc Sci Med 35 (8) 967–977.
8. GodleeF (2009) Effective, safe and a good patient experience. BMJ 339: b4346.
9. PirkleCM, DumontA, ZunzuneguiMV (2011) Criterion-based clinical audit to assess quality of obstetrical care in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review. Int J Qual Health Care 23 (4) 456–463.
10. McCaw-BinnsA, MullingsJ, Lewis-BellK, HolderY (2012) Completeness and quality of maternal mortality measurement from vital registration data in Jamaica. West Indian Medical Journal 61 (Suppl 6) 1–66; 2012.
11. Shordt K, Smet E, Herschderfer K (2012) Getting it right: improving maternal health through water, sanitation & hygiene. Haarlem, The Netherlands: Simavi. Available: http://washresources.wordpress.com/2012/10/19/getting-it-right-improving-maternal-health-through-water-sanitation-hygiene/. Accessed 12 Nov 2012.
12. GabryschS, CivitelliG, EdmondKM, MathaiM, AliM, et al. (2012) New signal functions to measure the ability of health facilities to provide routine and emergency newborn care. PLoS Med 9 (11) e1001340 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001340.
13. TuncalpO, HindinMJ, Adu-BonsaffohK, AdanuR (2012) Listening to women's voices: the quality of care of women experiencing severe maternal morbidity, in Accra, Ghana. PLoS ONE 7 (8) e44536 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0044536.
14. MontaguD, YameyG, ViscontiA, HardingA, YoongJ (2011) Where do poor women in developing countries give birth? A multi-country analysis of demographic and health survey data. PLoS ONE 6 (2) e17155 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0017155.
15. OECD (2010) Improving value in health care: measuring quality. Health Ministerial Forum on Quality of Care, Paris, 7–8 October 2010. Available: http://www.oecd.org/health/ministerial/46098506.pdf. Accessed 12 Nov 2012.
16. BenderDE, SantanderA, PatiñoW, WassermanMR (2008) Perceptions of quality of reproductive care services in Bolivia: use of photo prompts and surveys as an impetus for change. Health Care Women Int 29 (5) 484–506 doi.org/10.1080/07399330801949582.
17. MorestinF, BicabaA, Serme JdeD, FournierP (2010) Evaluating quality of obstetric care in low-resource settings: building on the literature to design tailor-made evaluation instruments - an illustration in Burkina Faso. BMC Health Services Research 10: 20 Available: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/10/20. Accessed 4 Dec 2012
18. WhitworthJ, SewankamboNK, SnewinVA (2010) Improving implementation: building research capacity in maternal, neonatal, and child health in Africa. PLoS Med 7 (7) e1000299 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000299.
19. Penn-KekanaL, McPakeB, ParkhurstJ (2007) Improving maternal health: getting what works to happen. Reprod Health Matters 15 (30) 28–37.
20. RudanI, KapiririL, TomlinsonM, BallietM, CohenB, et al. (2010) Evidence-based priority setting for health care and research: tools to support policy in maternal, neonatal, and child health in Africa. PLoS Med 7 (7) e1000308 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000308.
21. CampbellH, DukeT, WeberM, EnglishM, CaraiS, et al. (2008) Global initiatives for improving hospital care for children: state of the art and future prospects. Pediatrics 121 (4) e984–e992 doi:10.1542/peds.2007-1395.
22. LindsayP, SandallJ, HumphreyC (2012) The social dimensions of safety incident reporting in maternity care: the influence of working relationships and group processes. Soc Sci Med 75: 1793–1799 doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.06.030.
23. ReasonJ (2000) Human error: models and management. BMJ 320: 768–770.
24. SpectorJM, AgrawalP, KodkanyB, LipsitzS, LashoherA, et al. (2012) Improving quality of care for maternal and newborn health: prospective pilot study of the WHO Safe Childbirth Checklist program. PLoS ONE 7 (5) e35151 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0035151.