1. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Osteoporosis Prevention, Diagnosis, and Therapy. Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. JAMA 2001; 285(6): 785–795.
2. Melton LJ 3rd. Epidemiology of fractures. In: Riggs BL, Melton LJ 3rd (eds.): Osteoporosis: etiology, diagnosis and management. Raven Press, New York, 1995: 133–154.
3. Johnell O, Kanis J. Epidemiology of osteoporotic fractures. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16 Suppl. 2: S3–S7.
4. Svedbom A, Hernlund E, Ivergård M et al. Osteoporosis in the European Union: a compendium of country-specific reports. Arch Osteoporos 2013; 8(137): 35–42.
5. Štěpán JJ, Vaculík J, Pavelka K et al. Hip fracture incidence from 1981 to 2009 in the Czech Republic as a basis of the country-specific FRAX model. Calcif Tissue Int 2012; 90(5): 365–372.
6. von Friesendorff M, McGuigan FE, Besjakov J, Akesson K. Hip fracture in men-survival and subsequent fractures: a cohort study with 22-year follow-up. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59(5): 806–813.
7. Bliuc D, Nguyen ND, Milch VE et al. Mortality risk associated with low-trauma osteoporotic fracture and subsequent fracture in men and women. JAMA 2009; 301(5): 513–521.
8. Poor G, Atkinson EJ, Lewallen DG et al. Age-related hip fractures in men: clinical spectrum and short-term outcomes. Osteoporos Int 1995; 5(6): 419–426.
9. Magaziner J, Simonsick EM, Kashner TM et al. Survival experience of aged hip fracture patients. Am J Public Health 1989; 79(3): 274–278.
10. Seeman E. Sexual dimorphism in skeletal size, density, and strength. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86(10): 4576–4584.
11. Kirmani S, Christen D, van Lenthe GH et al. Bone structure at the distal radius during adolescent growth. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24(6): 1033–1042.
12. Riggs BL, Melton LJ 3rd, Robb RA et al. Population-based study of age and sex differences in bone volumetric density, size, geometry, and structure at different skeletal sites. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19(12): 1945–1954.
13. Khosla S. Update in male osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95(1): 3–10.
14. Cohen-Solal ME, Baudoin C, Omouri M et al. Bone mass in middle-aged osteoporotic men and their relatives: familial effect. J Bone Miner Res 1998; 13(12): 1909–1914.
15. Van Pottelbergh I, Goemaere S, Zmierczak H et al. Deficient acquisition of bone during maturation underlies idiopathic osteoporosis in men: evidence from a three-generation family study. J Bone Miner Res 2003; 18(2): 303–311.
16. Ferrari SL, Deutsch S, Baudoin C et al. LRP5 gene polymorphisms and idiopathic osteoporosis in men. Bone 2005; 37(6): 770–775.
17. Pernow Y, Hauge EM, Linder K et al. Bone histomorphometry in male idiopathic osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Int 2009; 84(6): 430–438.
18. Ostertag A, Collet C, Chappard C et al. A case-control study of fractures in men with idiopathic osteoporosis: Fractures are associated with older age and low cortical bone density. Bone 2013; 52(1): 48–55.
19. Seeman E. Pathogenesis of osteoporosis. J Appl Physiol 2003; 95(5): 2142–2151.
20. Aaron JE, Makins NB, Sagreiya K. The microanatomy of trabecular bone loss in normal aging men and women. Clin Orthop 1987; 215: 260–271.
21. Riggs BL, Melton LJ, Robb RA et al. A population-based assessment of rates of bone loss at multiple skeletal sites: evidence for substantial trabecular bone loss in young adult women and men. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23(2): 205–214.
22. Kelepouris N, Harper KD, Gannon F et al. Severe osteoporosis in men. Ann Intern Med 1995; 123(6): 452–460.
23. Schaffler MB, Choi K, Milgrom C. Aging and matrix microdamage accumulation in human compact bone. Bone 1995; 17(6): 521–525.
24. Seeman E. Pathogenesis of bone fragility in women and men. Lancet 2002; 359(9320): 1841–1850.
25. Kanis JA, Bianchi G, Bilezikian JP et al. Towards a diagnostic and therapeutic consensus in male osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 2011; 22(11): 2789–2798.
26. Watts NB, Adler RA, Bilezikian JP et al. Osteoporosis in men: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012; 97(6): 1802–1822.
27. Ferrini RL, Barrett Connor E. Sex hormones and age: a cross-sectional study of testosterone and estradiol and their bioavailable fractions in community-dwelling men. Am J Epidemiol 1998; 147(8): 750–754.
28. Khosla S, Melton LJ 3rd, Atkinson EJ, O'Fallon WM. Relationship of serum sex steroid levels to longitudinal changes in bone density in young versus elderly men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86(8): 3555–3561.
29. Mellstrom D, Vandenput L, Mallmin H et al. Older men with low serum estradiol and high serum SHBG have an increased risk of fractures. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23(10): 1552–1560.
30. Frost M, Nielsen TL, Brixen K, Andersen M. Peak muscle mass in young men and sarcopenia in the ageing male. Osteoporos Int 2015; 26(2): 749–756.
31. Rezaei A, Dragomir-Daescu D. Femoral strength changes faster with age than BMD in both women and Men: A biomechanical study. J Bone Miner Res 2015; 30(12): 2200–2206.
32. Ferretti JL, Capozza RF, Cointry GR et al. Gender-related differences in the relationship between densitometric values of whole-body bone mineral content and lean body mass in humans between 2 and 87 years of age. Bone 1998; 22(6): 683–690.
33. Edwards MH, Dennison EM, Aihie Sayer A et al. Osteoporosis and sarcopenia in older age. Bone 2015; 80: 126–130.
34. Madeira E, Mafort TT, Madeira M et al. Lean mass as a predictor of bone density and microarchitecture in adult obese individuals with metabolic syndrome. Bone 2013; 59C: 89–92.
35. Pham HM, Nguyen ND, Center JR et al. Contribution of quadriceps weakness to fragility fracture: A prospective study. J Bone Miner Res 2016; 31(1): 208–214.
36. Gennari L, Bilezikian JP. Osteoporosis in men. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2007; 36(2): 399–419.
37. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Report of a WHO Study Group. World Health Organisation; Geneva, 1994.
38. Rosa J, Šenk F, Palička V. Diagnostika a léčba postmenopauzální osteoporózy. Stanovisko Společnosti pro metabolická onemocnění skeletu ČLS JEP 2015. Osteologický bulletin 2016; 20(4): 150–168.
39. Kanis JA, Gluer CC. An update on the diagnosis and assessment of osteoporosis with densitometry. Osteoporos Int 2000; 11(3): 192–202.
40. Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, Johansson H et al. A reference standard for the description of osteoporosis. Bone 2008; 42(3): 467–475.
41. Looker AC, Wahner HW, Dunn WL et al. Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of US adults. Osteoporos Int 1998; 8(5): 468–489.
42. Official Positions of the International Society for Clinical Densitometry. Dostupné na: https: //iscd.app.box.com/v/op-iscd-2015-adult
43. Looker AC, Orwoll ES, Johnston CC jr. et al. Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older U.S. adults from NHANES III. J Bone Miner Res 1997; 12(11): 1761–1768.
44. Schuit SC, van der Klift M, Weel AE et al. Fracture incidence and association with bone mineral density in elderly men and women: the Rotterdam Study. Bone 2004; 34(1): 195–202.
45. Pasco JA, Lane SE, Brennan SL et al. Fracture risk among older men: osteopenia and osteoporosis defined using cut-points derived from female versus male reference data. Osteoporos Int 2014; 25(3): 857–862.
46. Bliuc D, Alarkawi D, Nguyen TV et al. Risk of subsequent fractures and mortality in elderly women and men with fragility fractures with and without osteoporotic bone density: the Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study. J Bone Miner Res 2015; 30(4): 637–646.
47. Nguyen TV, Center JR, Eisman JA. Femoral neck bone loss predicts fracture risk independent of baseline BMD. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20(7): 1195–1201.
48. Leslie WD, Majumdar SR, Morin SN, Lix LM. Why does rate of bone density loss not predict fracture risk? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015; 100(2): 679–683.
49. Hui SL, Slemenda CW, Johnston CC jr. Age and bone mass as predictors of fracture in a prospective study. J Clin Invest 1988; 81(6): 1804–1809.
50. Kanis JA, Borgstrom F, De Laet C et al. Assessment of fracture risk. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16(6): 581–589.
51. Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, Johansson H et al. Development and use of FRAX in osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 2010; 21 Suppl. 2: S407–S413.
52. Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health care level. Report of a WHO Study Group. Kanis JA (ed). University of Sheffield Medical School, Sheffield, UK, 2007.
53. Leslie WD, Lix LM. Comparison between various fracture risk assessment tools. Osteoporos Int 2014; 25(1): 1–21.
54. Fraser LA, Langsetmo L, Berger C et al. Fracture prediction and calibration of a Canadian FRAX(R) tool: a population-based report from CaMos. Osteoporos Int 2011; 22(3): 829–37.
55. Ettinger B, Ensrud KE, Blackwell T et al. Performance of FRAX in a cohort of community-dwelling, ambulatory older men: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) study. Osteoporos Int 2013; 24(4): 1185–1193.
56. Ho-Pham LT, Nguyen UD, Nguyen TV. Association between lean mass, fat mass, and bone mineral density: a meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99(1): 30–38.
57. Forsen L, Bjorndal A, Bjartveit K et al. Interaction between current smoking, leanness, and physical inactivity in the prediction of hip fracture. J Bone Miner Res 1994; 9(11): 1671–1678.
58. Duckham RL, Masud T, Taylor R et al. Randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness of community group and home-based falls prevention exercise programmes on bone health in older people: the ProAct65+ bone study. Age Ageing 2015; 44(4): 573–579.
59. Bello M, Sousa MC, Neto G et al. The effect of a long-term, community-based exercise program on bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes. J Hum Kinet 2014; 43: 43–48.
60. McNamara A, Gunter K. The influence of participation in Better Bones and Balance on skeletal health: evaluation of a community-based exercise program to reduce fall and fracture risk. Osteoporos Int 2012; 23(6): 1813–1822.
61. Gianoudis J, Bailey CA, Ebeling PR et al. Effects of a targeted multimodal exercise program incorporating high-speed power training on falls and fracture risk factors in older adults: a community-based randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 2014; 29(1): 182–191.
62. Watson SL, Weeks BK, Weis LJ et al. Heavy resistance training is safe and improves bone, function, and stature in postmenopausal women with low to very low bone mass: novel early findings from the LIFTMOR trial. Osteoporos Int 2015; 26(12): 2889–2894.
63. Colaianni G, Cuscito C, Mongelli T et al. The myokine Irisin increases cortical bone mass. PNAS 2015; 112: 12157–12162.
64. Jin J, Sklar GE, Min Sen Oh V, Chuen Li S. Factors affecting therapeutic compliance: A review from the patient's perspective. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2008; 4(1): 269–286.
65. Mikyas Y, Agodoa I, Yurgin N. A systematic review of osteoporosis medication adherence and osteoporosis-related fracture costs in men. Appl Health Econ Health Policy 2014; 12(3): 267–277.
66. Greenspan SL, Perera S, Ferchak MA et al. Efficacy and safety of single-dose zoledronic acid for osteoporosis in frail elderly women: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med 2015; 175(6): 913–921.
67. Orwoll E, Ettinger M, Weiss S et al. Alendronate for the treatment of osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med 2000; 343(9): 604–610.
68. Boonen S, Orwoll ES, Wenderoth D et al. Once-weekly risedronate in men with osteoporosis: results of a 2-year, placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter study. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24(4): 719–725.
69. Ringe JD, Farahmand P, Faber H, Dorst A. Sustained efficacy of risedronate in men with primary and secondary osteoporosis: results of a 2-year study. Rheumatol Int 2009; 29(3): 311–315.
70. Sato Y, Iwamoto J, Kanoko T, Satoh K. Risedronate therapy for prevention of hip fracture after stroke in elderly women. Neurology 2005; 64(5): 811–816.
71. Sato Y, Kanoko T, Satoh K, Iwamoto J. The prevention of hip fracture with risedronate and ergocalciferol plus calcium supplementation in elderly women with Alzheimer disease: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165(15): 1737–1742.
72. Orwoll ES, Binkley NC, Lewiecki EM et al. Efficacy and safety of monthly ibandronate in men with low bone density. Bone 2010; 46(4): 970–976.
73. Orwoll ES, Miller PD, Adachi JD et al. Efficacy and safety of a once-yearly i.v. Infusion of zoledronic acid 5 mg versus a once-weekly 70-mg oral alendronate in the treatment of male osteoporosis: a randomized, multicenter, double-blind, active-controlled study. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25(10): 2239–2250.
74. Lyles KW, Colon-Emeric CS, Magaziner JS et al. Zoledronic acid and clinical fractures and mortality after hip fracture. N Engl J Med 2007; 357(18): 1799–1809.
75. Boonen S, Orwoll E, Magaziner J et al. Once-yearly zoledronic acid in older men compared with women with recent hip fracture. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59(11): 2084–90.
76. Boonen S, Reginster JY, Kaufman JM et al. Fracture risk and zoledronic acid therapy in men with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 1714–1723.
77. Sambrook PN, Roux C, Devogelaer JP et al. Bisphosphonates and glucocorticoid osteoporosis in men: results of a randomized controlled trial comparing zoledronic acid with risedronate. Bone 2012; 50(1): 289–295.
78. Langdahl BL, Teglbjaerg CS, Ho PR et al. A 24-month study evaluating the efficacy and safety of denosumab for the treatment of men with low bone mineral density: results from the ADAMO trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015; 100(4): 1335–1342.
79. Smith MR, Egerdie B, Hernandez Toriz N et al. Denosumab in men receiving androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2009; 361(8): 745–755.
80. Cummings SR, San Martin J, McClung MR et al. Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2009; 361(8): 756–765.
81. Ringe JD, Dorst A, Farahmand P. Efficacy of strontium ranelate on bone mineral density in men with osteoporosis. Arzneimittelforschung 2010; 60(5): 267–272.
82. Kaufman JM, Audran M, Bianchi G et al. Efficacy and safety of strontium ranelate in the treatment of osteoporosis in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98(2): 592–601.
83. Jonville-Bera AP, Autret-Leca E. Adverse drug reactions of strontium ranelate (Protelos) in France. Presse Med 2011; 40(10): e453–e462.
84. Khan AA, Morrison A, Hanley DA et al. Diagnosis and management of osteonecrosis of the jaw: a systematic review and international consensus. J Bone Miner Res 2015; 30(1): 3–23.
85. Suri S, Monkkonen J, Taskinen M et al. Nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates induce apoptosis of Caco-2 cells in vitro by inhibiting the mevalonate pathway: a model of bisphosphonate-induced gastrointestinal toxicity. Bone 2001; 29(4): 336–343.
86. Iwata K, Li J, Follet H, Phipps RJ, Burr DB. Bisphosphonates suppress periosteal osteoblast activity independently of resorption in rat femur and tibia. Bone 2006; 39(5): 1053–1058.
87. Ma YL, Zeng QQ, Chiang AY et al. Effects of teriparatide on cortical histomorphometric variables in postmenopausal women with or without prior alendronate treatment. Bone 2014; 59: 139–147.
88. Idris AI, Rojas J, Greig IR et al. Aminobisphosphonates cause osteoblast apoptosis and inhibit bone nodule formation in vitro. Calcif Tissue Int 2008; 82(3): 191–201.
89. Adler RA, El-Hajj Fuleihan G, Bauer DC et al. Managing osteoporosis in patients on long-term bisphosphonate treatment: Report of a Task Force of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research. J Bone Miner Res 2016; 31(1): 16–35.
90. Lindsay R, Krege JH, Marin F, Jin L, Štěpán JJ. Teriparatide for osteoporosis: importance of the full course. Osteoporos Int 2016; 27(8): 2395–2410.
91. Orwoll ES, Scheele WH, Paul S et al. The effect of teriparatide [human parathyroid hormone (1-34)] therapy on bone density in men with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 2003; 18(1): 9–17.
92. Kaufman JM, Orwoll E, Goemaere S et al. Teriparatide effects on vertebral fractures and bone mineral density in men with osteoporosis: treatment and discontinuation of therapy. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16(5): 510–516.
93. Gluer CC, Marin F, Ringe JD et al. Comparative effects of teriparatide and risedronate in glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in men: 18-month results of the EuroGIOPs trial. J Bone Miner Res 2013; 28(6): 1355–1368.
94. Walker MD, Cusano NE, Sliney J et al. Combination therapy with risedronate and teriparatide in male osteoporosis. Endocrine 2013; 44: 237–246.
95. Khosla S, Amin S, Orwoll E. Osteoporosis in men. Endocr Rev 2008; 29(4): 441–464.
96. Gielen E, Vanderschueren D, Callewaert F, Boonen S. Osteoporosis in men. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 25(2): 321–335.
97. Ebeling PR. Osteoporosis in men. N Engl J Med 2008; 358(14): 1474–1482.
98. Chen LX, Zhou ZR, Li YL et al. Comparison of bone mineral density in lumbar spine and fracture rate among eight drugs in treatments of osteoporosis in men: a network meta-analysis. PLoS One 2015; 10(5): e0128032.