1. Huvos AG, Hunter RV, Berg JW. Significance of axillary macrometastases and micrometastases of mammary cancers. Ann Surg 1971; 173: 44–46.
2. Diest PJ van, Peterse HL, Borgstein PJ et al. Pathological investigation of sentinel lymph nodes. Eur J Nucl Med 1999; 26(Suppl): S43–49.
3. Schreiber RH, Pendas S, Ku NN, Reintgen DS, Shons AR, Berman C, Boulware D, Cox CE. Microstaging of breast cancer patients using cytokeratin staining of the sentinel lymph node. Ann Surg Oncol. 1999; 6(1): 95–101.
4. Clare SE, Sener SF, Wilkens W, Goldschmidt R, Merkel D, Winchester DJ. Prognostic significance of occult lymph node metastases in node-negative breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 1997; 4(6): 447–451.
5. Nos C, Harding-MacKean C, Freneaux P, Trie A, Falcou MC, Sastre-Garau X, Clough KB. Prediction of tumour involvement in remaining axillary lymph nodes when the sentinel node in a woman with breast cancer contains metastases. Br J Surg. 2003; 90(11): 1354–1360.
6. Fisher ER, Swamidoss S, Lee CH, Rockette H, Redmond C, Fisher B. Detection and significance of occult axillary node metastases in patients with invasive breast cancer. Cancer. 1978; 42(4): 2025–2031.
7. Dowlatshahi K, Fan M, Snider HC. Lymph node micrometastases from breast carcinoma: reviewing the dilemma. Cancer 1997; 80(7): 1188–1197.
8. Cserni G, Gregori D, Merletii F et al. Meta-analysis of non-sentinel node metastases associated with micrometastastis sentinel node in breast cancer. Br J Surg 2004; 91: 1245–1252.
9. Li Zhu, Chi Kei Lam and Louis WC Chow. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy or Detection of Micrometastasis in Bone Marrow: Which Might Be an Alternative to Axillary Lymph Node Dissection in Breast Cancer Patients? Asian J Surg 2004; 27: 279–283.
10. Leers MP, Schoffelen RH, Hoop J et al. Multiparameter flow cytometry as a tool for the detection of micrometastatic tumour cells in the sentinel lymph node procedure of patients with breast cancer. J Clin Pathol 2002; 55: 359–366.
11. Dowlatshahi K, Ming Fan, Anderson JM et al. Occult Metastases in Sentinel Nodes of 200 Patients With Operable Breast Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 2001; 8: 675–682.
12. Ludwig Breast Cancer Study Group. Prognostic importance of occult axillary lymph node micrometastasis from breast cancers. Lancet 1990; 335: 1565–1568.
13. McGuckin MA, Cummings MC, Walsh MD et al. Occult axillary node metastases in breast cancer: their detection and prognostic significance. Br J Cancer 1996; 73: 88–90.
14. Friedman S, Bertin F, Mouriesse H et al. Importance of tumor cells in axillary node sinus margins (clandestine metastases) discovered by serial sectioning in operable breast cancer. Acta Oncol 1988; 27(5):483–487.
15. Clarke D, Khonji NI, Mansel R. Sentinel node biopsy in breast cancer: ALMANAC Trial. World J Surg 2001; 25: 819–822.
16. Trojani M, de Mascarel I, Bonichon F et al. Micrometastases to axillary lymph nodes from carcinoma of the breast. Br J Cancer 1987; 55, 303–306.
17. Black RB, Roberts M, Stewart HJ et al. The search for occult metastases in breast does it add to established staging methods? Aust N Z J Surg. 1980; 50(6): 574–579.
18. Rosen P, Saigo P, Braun DW jr et al. Occult axillary lymph node metastases from breast cancers with intramammary lymphatic tumor emboli. Am J Surg Pathol 1982; 6: 639–641.
19. Wilkinson EJ, Hause L, Hoffman RG et al. Occult axillary lymph node metastases in invasive breast carcinoma: characteristics of the primary tumor and significance of the metastases. Pathol Annu 1982; 17: 67–91.
20. Chu KU, Turner RR, Hansen NM et al. Do all patients with sentinel node metastasis from breast carcinoma need completa axillary node dissection? Ann Surg 1999; 229: 536–541.
21. Reynolds C, Mick R, Donohue JH et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy with metastasis. Can axillary dissection be avoided in some pacients with breast cancer? J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 1720–1726.
22. Fisher B, Brown A, Mamounas E et al. Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on local – regional disease in women with operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1997; 15: 2483–2489.
23. Furakawa T, Kubota T, Tanino H et al. Chemosensitivity of breast cancer lymph node metastasis compared to the primary tumor from individual patients. Anticancer Res 2000; 20: 3657–3658.
24. Krag DN, Julian TB, Harlow SP, Weaver DL et al. NSABP-32: Phase III, randomized trial comparing axillary resection with sentinal lymph node dissection. Ann Surg Oncol 2004; 11(3 Suppl): 208S–210S.