1. KakisiOK, RobinsonMJ, TettmarKI, TedderRS (2013) The rise and fall of XMRV. Transfus Med 23: 142–151.
2. ErlweinO, KayeS, McClureMO, WeberJ, WillsG, et al. (2010) Failure to detect the novel retrovirus XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome. PLoS ONE 5: e8519.
3. van KuppeveldFJ, van der MeerJW (2012) XMRV and CFS–the sad end of a story. Lancet 379: e27–28.
4. KarafinMS, StramerSL (2012) The scientific method at work: xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus is neither a cause of chronic fatigue syndrome nor a threat to the blood supply. Transfusion 52: 222–225.
5. DoddRY (2011) Chronic fatigue syndrome, XMRV and blood safety. Future Microbiol 6: 385–389.
6. DoddRY, HackettJJr, LinnenJM, DorseyK, WuY, et al. (2012) Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus does not pose a risk to blood recipient safety. Transfusion 52: 298–306.
7. UrismanA, MolinaroRJ, FischerN, PlummerSJ, CaseyG, et al. (2006) Identification of a novel gammaretrovirus in prostate tumors of patients homozygous for R462Q RNASEL variant. PLoS Pathog 2: e25.
8. LombardiVC, RuscettiFW, Das GuptaJ, PfostMA, HagenKS, et al. (2009) Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science 326: 585–589.
9. AlbertsB (2011) Retraction. Science 334: 1636.
10. SilvermanRH, Das GuptaJ, LombardiVC, RuscettiFW, PfostMA, et al. (2011) Partial retraction. Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science 334: 176.
11. LoSC, PripuzovaN, LiB, KomaroffAL, HungGC, et al. (2012) Retraction for Lo et al., Detection of MLV-related virus gene sequences in blood of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and healthy blood donors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109: 346.
12. WilsonK (2011) A framework for applying the precautionary principal to transfusion safety. Transfus Med Rev 25: 177–183.
13. DoddRY (2011) XMRV and blood safety: a case study of science and public pressure. ISBT Sci Ser 6: 446–448.
14. Martuzzi M (2004) The precautionary principle protecting public health, the environment and the future of our children. World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe.
15. Commission of the European Communities (2000) Communication from the commission on the precautionary principle. COM(2000) 1 (Brussels: 2 February 2000). Available: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/health_consumer/library/pub/pub07_en.pdf. Accessed 2 March 2014.
16. WilsonK, RickettsMN (2004) The success of precaution? Managing the risk of transfusion transmission of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Transfusion 44: 1475–1478.
17. WakefieldAJ, MurchSH, AnthonyA, LinnellJ, CassonDM, et al. (1998) Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children. Lancet 351: 637–641.
18. Increased transmission and outbreaks of measles, European Region, 2011. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 86: 559–564.
19. BakerJP (2008) Mercury, vaccines, and autism: one controversy, three histories. Am J Public Health 98: 244–253.
20. StrattonK, GableA, ShettyP, McCormickM (2001) Immunization safety review. Committee, Board on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention 2.
21. WeirE, SchabasR, WilsonK, MackieC (2010) A Canadian framework for applying the precautionary principle to public health issues. Can J Public Health 101: 396–398.
22. WainbergMA, ShuldinerT, DahlK, GilmoreN (2010) Reconsidering the lifetime deferral of blood donation by men who have sex with men. CMAJ 182: 1321–1324.
23. WilsonK, AtkinsonK, KeelanJ (2014) Three decades of MSM donor deferral policies. What have we learned? Int J Infect Dis 18: 1–3.
24. SlovicP (1987) Perception of risk. Science 236: 280–285.
25. Australian Red Cross Blood Service (2010) Blood Service updates CFS donor policy. Available: http://www.donateblood.com.au/media-centre/latest-national-news/blood-service-updates-cfs-donor-policy. Accessed 25 March 2013.
26. Canadian Blood Services (2010) Indefinite deferral for history of chronic fatigue syndrome. Available: http://www.blood.ca/centreapps/internet/uw_v502_mainengine.nsf/page/Indefinite_Deferral_for_History_of_Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome?OpenDocument. Accessed 14 March 2013.
27. NHSBT (2010) ME/CFS sufferers permanently deferred from giving blood.
28. AABB (2010) Recomendations on chronic fatigue syndrome and blood donation.
29. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (2011) Risk assesssment on xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) and its implications for blood donation. Stockholm.
30. New Zealand Blood Service (2010) XMRV – A new transfusion transmitted infection? Blood Issues, Issue 24.