1. Li CI, Daling JR, Malone KE. Incidence of invasive breast cancer by hormone receptor status from 1992 to 1998. J Clin Oncol 2003; 21(1): 28–34.
2. Santen RJ, Samojlik E, Wells SA. Resistance of the ovary to blockade of aromatization with aminoglutethimide. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1980; 51(3): 473–477.
3. Beatson GT. On the treatment of inoperable cases of carcinoma of the mamma. Suggestions for a new method of treatment with illustrative cases. Lancet 1896; 2: 104–107.
4. Fisher B, Constantino JP, Wickerham DL et al. Tamoxifen for the prevention of breast cancer: current Status of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 study. J Natl Cancer Inst 2005; 97(22): 1636–1637.
5. Fisher B, Constantino JP, Wickerham DL et al. Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer: report of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 Study. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998; 90(18): 1371–1388.
6. Bonneterre J, Thürlimann B, Robertson JF et al. Anastrozole versus tamoxifen as first-line therapy for advanced breast cancer in 668 postmenopausal women: results of Tamoxifen or Arimidex Randomized Group Efficacy and Tolerability study. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18(22): 3748–3757.
7. Thürlimann B, Hess D, Köberle D et al. Anastrozole (‘Arimidex’) versus tamoxifen as first-line therapy in postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer: results of the double-blind cross-over SAKK trial 21/95 – a sub-study of the TARGET (Tamoxifen or ‘Arimidex’ Randomized Group Efficacy and Tolerability) trial. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2004; 85(3): 247–254.
8. Freedman OC, Verma S, Clemons MJ. Pre-menopusal breast cancer and aromatase inhibitors: treating a new generation of women. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2006; 99(3): 241–247.
9. Riemsma R, Forbes CA, Kessels A et al. Systematic review of aromatase inhibitors in the first-line treatment for hormone sensitive advanced or metastatic breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010; 123(1): 9–24.
10. Carlson RW, Hudis CA, Pritchard KI et al. Adjuvant endocrine therapy in hormone receptor-positive postmenopausal breast cancer: evolution of NCCN, ASCO, and St Gallen recommendations. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2006; 4(10): 971–979.
11. Bertelli G, Garrone O, Merlano M et al. Sequential treatment with exemestane and non-steroidal aromatase inhibitors in advanced breast cancer. Oncology 2005; 69(6): 471–477.
12. Thürlimann B, Robertson JF, Nabholtz JM et al. Efficacy of tamoxifen following anastrozole (‘Arimidex’) compared with anastrozole following tamoxifen as first-line treatment for advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Eur J Cancer 2003; 39(16): 2310–2317.
13. Gibson L, Lawrence D, Dawson C et al. Aromatase inhibitors for treatment of advanced breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009; 4: CD003370.
14. Howell A, Cuzick J, Baum M et al. ATAC Trialists’ Group. Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years’ adjuvant treatment for breast cancer. Lancet 2005; 365(9453): 60–62.
15. Kelly CM, Buzdar AU. Aromatase inhibitors alone or in sequence with tamoxifen – clinical evaluation of the BIG 1-98 trial. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2010; 11(3): 489–492.
16. Jassen J. International Exemestane Study Group. Intergroup Exemestane Study mature analysis: overall survival data. Anticancer Drugs 2008; 19 (Suppl 1): S3–S7.
17. Kaufmann M, Jonat W, Hilfrich J et al. Improved overall survival in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer after anastrozole initiated after treatment with tamoxifen compared with continued tamoxifen: the ARNO 95 study. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25(19): 2664–2670.
18. Goss PE. Letrozole in the extended adjuvant setting: MA.17. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2007; 105 (Suppl 1): 45–53.
19. Smith IE, Dowsett M, Ebbs SR et al. Neoadjuvant treatment of postmenopausal breast cancer with anastrozole, tamoxifen, or both in combination: the Immediate Preoperative Anastrozole, Tamoxifen, or Combined with Tamoxifen (IMPACT) multicenter double-blind randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 2005; 23(22): 5108–5116.
20. Cataliotti L, Buzdar AU, Noguchi S et al. Comparison of anastrozole versus tamoxifen as preoperative therapy in postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: the Pre-Operative „Arimidex“ Compared to Tamoxifen (PROACT) trial. Cancer 2006; 106(10): 2095–2103.
21. Eiermann W, Paepke S, Appfelstaedt J et al. Preoperative treatment of postmenopausal breast cancer patients with letrozole: a randomized double-blind multicenter study. Ann Oncol 2001; 12(11): 1527–1532.
22. Kendall A, Dowsett M. Novel concepts for the chemoprevention of breast cancer through aromatase inhibition. Endocr Relat Cancer 2006; 13(3): 827–837.
23. Judd HL. Hormonal dynamics associated with the menopause. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1976: 19(4): 775–788.
24. Fentiman IS. Optimising adjuvant endocrine treatment of breast cancer with aromatase inhibitors. Int J Clin Pract 2006; 60(6): 689–693.
25. Forward DP, Cheung KL, Jackson L et al. Clinical and endocrine data for goserelin plus anastrozole as second-line endocrine therapy for premenopausal advanced breast cancer. Br J Cancer 2004; 90(3): 590–594.
26. Cheung KL, Agrawal A, Folkerd E et al. Suppression of ovarian function in combination with an aromatase inhibitor as treatment for advanced breast cancer in pre-menopausal women. Eur J Cancer 2010; 46(16): 2936–2942.
27. Park IH, Ro J, Lee KS et al. Phase II parallel group study showing comparable efficacy between premenopausal metastatic breast cancer patients treated with letrozole plus goserelin and postmenopausal patients treated with letrozole alone as first-line hormone therapy. J Clin Oncol 2010; 28(16): 2705–2711.
28. Gnant M, Mlineritsch B, Schippinger W et al. Endocrine therapy plus zolendronic acid in premenopausal breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2009; 360(7): 679–691.
29. Rossi E, Morabito A, De Maio E et al. Endocrine effects of adjuvant letrozole + triptorelin compared with tamoxifen + triptorelin in premenopausal patients with early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2008; 26(2): 264–270.
30. Smith IE, Dowsett M, Yap YS et al. Adjuvant aromatase inhibitors for early breast cancer after chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea: caution and suggested guidelines. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24(16): 2444–2447.
31. Del Mastro L, Levaggi A, Giraudi S et al. Luteinising hormone releasing hormone agonists (LH-RHa) in premenopausal early breast cancer patients: current role and future perspectives. Cancer Treat Rev 2011; 37(3): 208–211.
32. Santen RJ, Martel J, Hoagland F et al. Stromal spindle cells contain aromatase in human breast tumors. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994; 79(2): 627–632.
33. Bernstein LM, Larionov AA, Kyshtoobaeva AS et al. Aromatase in breast cancer tissue localization and relationship with reproductive status of patients. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 1996; 122(8): 495–498.
34. Bulun SE, Sharda G, Rink J et al. Distribution of aromatase P450 transcripts and adipose fibroblasts in the human breast. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 1996; 81(3): 1273–1277.
35. Yue W, Wang JP, Hamilton CJ et al. In situ aromatization enhances breast tumor estradiol levels and cellular proliferation. Cancer Res 1998; 58(5): 927–932.
36. Dorgan JF, Lonqcope C, Stephenson HE Jr et al. Serum sex hormone levels are related to breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women. Environ Health Perspect 1997; 105 (Suppl 3): 583–585.
37. Kubatka P, Sadloňová V, Kajo K et al. Chemopreventive effects of anastrozole in a premenopausal breast cancer model. Anticancer Res 2008; 28(5A): 2819–2823.
38. Kubatka P, Sadloňová V, Kajo K et al. Preventive effects of letrozole in the model of premenopausal mammary carcinogenesis. Neoplasma 2008; 55(1): 42–46.
39. Kubatka P, Sadloňová V, Kajo K et al. Neoplastic effects of exemestane in premenopausal breast cancer model. Neoplasma 2008; 55(6): 538–543.
40. Campos SM. Aromatase inhibitors for breast cancer in postmenopausal women. Oncologist 2004; 9(2): 126–136.