1. IwashiroM, MesserRJ, PetersonKE, StromnesIM, SugieT, et al. (2001) Immunosuppression by CD4+ regulatory T cells induced by chronic retroviral infection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 98: 9226–9230.
2. MyersL, JoedickeJJ, CarmodyAB, MesserRJ, KassiotisG, et al. (2013) IL-2-independent and TNF-alpha-dependent expansion of Vbeta5+ natural regulatory T cells during retrovirus infection. Journal of immunology 190: 5485–5495.
3. ZelinskyyG, DietzeKK, HuseckenYP, SchimmerS, NairS, et al. (2009) The regulatory T-cell response during acute retroviral infection is locally defined and controls the magnitude and duration of the virus-specific cytotoxic T-cell response. Blood 114: 3199–3207.
4. ZelinskyyG, DietzeK, SparwasserT, DittmerU (2009) Regulatory T cells suppress antiviral immune responses and increase viral loads during acute infection with a lymphotropic retrovirus. PLoS Pathog 5: e1000406.
5. DietzeKK, ZelinskyyG, GibbertK, SchimmerS, FrancoisS, et al. (2011) Transient depletion of regulatory T cells in transgenic mice reactivates virus-specific CD8+ T cells and reduces chronic retroviral set points. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108: 2420–2425.
6. BarberDL, WherryEJ, MasopustD, ZhuB, AllisonJP, et al. (2006) Restoring function in exhausted CD8 T cells during chronic viral infection. Nature 439: 682–687.
7. BlackburnSD, ShinH, HainingWN, ZouT, WorkmanCJ, et al. (2009) Coregulation of CD8+ T cell exhaustion by multiple inhibitory receptors during chronic viral infection. Nat Immunol 10: 29–37.
8. JonesRB, NdhlovuLC, BarbourJD, ShethPM, JhaAR, et al. (2008) Tim-3 expression defines a novel population of dysfunctional T cells with highly elevated frequencies in progressive HIV-1 infection. The Journal of experimental medicine 205: 2763–2779.
9. UrbaniS, AmadeiB, TolaD, MassariM, SchivazappaS, et al. (2006) PD-1 expression in acute hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is associated with HCV-specific CD8 exhaustion. Journal of virology 80: 11398–11403.
10. DayCL, KaufmannDE, KiepielaP, BrownJA, MoodleyES, et al. (2006) PD-1 expression on HIV-specific T cells is associated with T-cell exhaustion and disease progression. Nature 443: 350–354.
11. MaierH, IsogawaM, FreemanGJ, ChisariFV (2007) PD-1:PD-L1 interactions contribute to the functional suppression of virus-specific CD8+ T lymphocytes in the liver. Journal of immunology 178: 2714–2720.
12. JinHT, AndersonAC, TanWG, WestEE, HaSJ, et al. (2010) Cooperation of Tim-3 and PD-1 in CD8 T-cell exhaustion during chronic viral infection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107: 14733–14738.
13. ZelinskyyG, MyersL, DietzeKK, GibbertK, RoggendorfM, et al. (2011) Virus-specific CD8+ T cells upregulate programmed death-1 expression during acute friend retrovirus infection but are highly cytotoxic and control virus replication. Journal of immunology 187: 3730–3737.
14. VeluV, KannanganatS, IbegbuC, ChennareddiL, VillingerF, et al. (2007) Elevated expression levels of inhibitory receptor programmed death 1 on simian immunodeficiency virus-specific CD8 T cells during chronic infection but not after vaccination. Journal of virology 81: 5819–5828.
15. PalmerBE, NeffCP, LecureuxJ, EhlerA, DsouzaM, et al. (2013) In vivo blockade of the PD-1 receptor suppresses HIV-1 viral loads and improves CD4+ T cell levels in humanized mice. Journal of immunology 190: 211–219.
16. BrahmerJR, TykodiSS, ChowLQ, HwuWJ, TopalianSL, et al. (2012) Safety and activity of anti-PD-L1 antibody in patients with advanced cancer. The New England journal of medicine 366: 2455–2465.
17. LiW, GreenWR (2011) Immunotherapy of murine retrovirus-induced acquired immunodeficiency by CD4 T regulatory cell depletion and PD-1 blockade. Journal of virology 85: 13342–13353.
18. DittmerU, HeH, MesserRJ, SchimmerS, OlbrichAR, et al. (2004) Functional impairment of CD8(+) T cells by regulatory T cells during persistent retroviral infection. Immunity 20: 293–303.
19. LahlK, LoddenkemperC, DrouinC, FreyerJ, ArnasonJ, et al. (2007) Selective depletion of Foxp3+ regulatory T cells induces a scurfy-like disease. J Exp Med 204: 57–63.
20. ZelinskyyG, RobertsonSJ, SchimmerS, MesserRJ, HasenkrugKJ, et al. (2005) CD8+ T-cell dysfunction due to cytolytic granule deficiency in persistent Friend retrovirus infection. J Virol 79: 10619–10626.
21. AntunesI, TolainiM, KissenpfennigA, IwashiroM, KuribayashiK, et al. (2008) Retrovirus-specificity of regulatory T cells is neither present nor required in preventing retrovirus-induced bone marrow immune pathology. Immunity 29: 782–794.
22. ZelinskyyG, KraftAR, SchimmerS, ArndtT, DittmerU (2006) Kinetics of CD8+ effector T cell responses and induced CD4+ regulatory T cell responses during Friend retrovirus infection. Eur J Immunol 36: 2658–2670.
23. ChenW, QinH, ChesebroB, CheeverMA (1996) Identification of a gag-encoded cytotoxic T-lymphocyte epitope from FBL-3 leukemia shared by Friend, Moloney, and Rauscher murine leukemia virus-induced tumors. J Virol 70: 7773–7782.
24. BlattmanJN, WherryEJ, HaSJ, van der MostRG, AhmedR (2009) Impact of epitope escape on PD-1 expression and CD8 T-cell exhaustion during chronic infection. Journal of virology 83: 4386–4394.
25. ZelinskyyG, BalkowS, SchimmerS, SchepersK, SimonMM, et al. (2004) Independent roles of perforin, granzymes, and Fas in the control of Friend retrovirus infection. Virology 330: 365–374.
26. RobertsonSJ, MesserRJ, CarmodyAB, HasenkrugKJ (2006) In vitro suppression of CD8+ T cell function by Friend virus-induced regulatory T cells. J Immunol 176: 3342–3349.
27. Moreno-FernandezME, RuedaCM, RusieLK, ChougnetCA (2011) Regulatory T cells control HIV replication in activated T cells through a cAMP-dependent mechanism. Blood 117: 5372–5380.
28. FranciscoLM, SalinasVH, BrownKE, VanguriVK, FreemanGJ, et al. (2009) PD-L1 regulates the development, maintenance, and function of induced regulatory T cells. The Journal of experimental medicine 206: 3015–3029.
29. MellorsJW, RinaldoCRJr, GuptaP, WhiteRM, ToddJA, et al. (1996) Prognosis in HIV-1 infection predicted by the quantity of virus in plasma. Science 272: 1167–1170.
30. NilssonJ, BoassoA, VelillaPA, ZhangR, VaccariM, et al. (2006) HIV-1-driven regulatory T-cell accumulation in lymphoid tissues is associated with disease progression in HIV/AIDS. Blood 108: 3808–3817.
31. BettsMR, NasonMC, WestSM, De RosaSC, MiguelesSA, et al. (2006) HIV nonprogressors preferentially maintain highly functional HIV-specific CD8+ T cells. Blood 107: 4781–4789.
32. D'SouzaM, FontenotAP, MackDG, LozuponeC, DillonS, et al. (2007) Programmed death 1 expression on HIV-specific CD4+ T cells is driven by viral replication and associated with T cell dysfunction. Journal of immunology 179: 1979–1987.
33. AnderssonJ, BoassoA, NilssonJ, ZhangR, ShireNJ, et al. (2005) The prevalence of regulatory T cells in lymphoid tissue is correlated with viral load in HIV-infected patients. J Immunol 174: 3143–3147.
34. McMahanRH, Golden-MasonL, NishimuraMI, McMahonBJ, KemperM, et al. (2010) Tim-3 expression on PD-1+ HCV-specific human CTLs is associated with viral persistence, and its blockade restores hepatocyte-directed in vitro cytotoxicity. The Journal of clinical investigation 120: 4546–4557.
35. SeigelB, BengschB, LohmannV, BartenschlagerR, BlumHE, et al. (2012) Factors That Determine the Antiviral Efficacy of HCV-Specific CD8(+) T Cells Ex Vivo. Gastroenterology 144 (2): 426–36.
36. ValiB, JonesRB, SakhdariA, ShethPM, ClaytonK, et al. (2010) HCV-specific T cells in HCV/HIV co-infection show elevated frequencies of dual Tim-3/PD-1 expression that correlate with liver disease progression. European journal of immunology 40: 2493–2505.
37. DannullJ, SuZ, RizzieriD, YangBK, ColemanD, et al. (2005) Enhancement of vaccine-mediated antitumor immunity in cancer patients after depletion of regulatory T cells. J Clin Invest 115: 3623–3633.
38. LillyF, SteevesRA (1973) B-tropic Friend virus: a host-range pseudotype of spleen focus-forming virus (SFFV). Virology 55: 363–370.
39. DittmerU, BrooksDM, HasenkrugKJ (1998) Characterization of a live-attenuated retroviral vaccine demonstrates protection via immune mechanisms. J Virol 72: 6554–6558.
40. SchepersK, ToebesM, SotthewesG, Vyth-DreeseFA, DellemijnTA, et al. (2002) Differential kinetics of antigen-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cell responses in the regression of retrovirus-induced sarcomas. J Immunol 169: 3191–3199.
41. BarberDL, WherryEJ, AhmedR (2003) Cutting edge: rapid in vivo killing by memory CD8 T cells. J Immunol 171: 27–31.