1. Schafer AI. Thrombocytosis. N Engl J Med 2004; 350: 1211-1219.
2. Barbui T, Finazzi G. Treatment indications and choice of a platelet-lowering agent in essential thrombocythemia. Curr Hematol Rep 2003; 2: 248-256.
3. Randi ML, Fabris F, Rossi C et al. Sex and age as prognostic factors in essential thrombocythemia. Haematologica 1992; 77: 402-404.
4. Murphy S, Peterson P, Iland H et al. Experience of the Polycythemia Vera Study Group with essential thrombocythemia: a final report on diagnostic criteria, survival, and leukemic transition by treatment. Semin Hematol 1997; 34: 29-39.
5. Imbert M, Pierre R, Thiele J et al. Essential thrombocythemia. In Jaffe E, Harris N, Stein H et al. WHO Classification of Tumours: Pathology & Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Lyon: IARC Press 2001: 39-41.
6. Pierre R, Imbert M, Thiele J et al. Polycythemia vera. In Jaffe E, Harris N, Stein H et al. WHO Classification of Tumours: Pathology & Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Lyon: IARC Press 2001: 32-34.
7. Thiele J, Pierre R, Imbert M et al. Chronic idiopathic myelofibrosis. In Jaffe E, Harris N, Stein H et al. WHO Classification of Tumours: Pathology & Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Lyon: IARC Press 2001: 35-38.
8. Berlin NI. Diagnosis and classification of the polycythemias. Semin Hematol 1975; 12: 339-351.
9. Murphy S, Iland H, Rosenthal D et al. Essential thrombocythemia: an interim report from the Polycythemia Vera Study Group. Semin Hematol 1986; 23: 177-182.
10. Barosi G. Myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasia: diagnostic definition and prognostic classification for clinical studies and treatment guidelines. J Clin Oncol 1999; 17: 2954-2970.
11. Thiele J, Kvasnicka HM, Boeltken B et al. Initial (prefibrotic) stages of idiopathic (primary) myelofibrosis (IMF) - a clinicopathological study. Leukemia 1999; 13: 1741-1748.
12. Thiele J, Kvasnicka HM. Chronic myeloproliferative disorders with thrombocythemia: a comparative study of two classification systems (PVSG, WHO) on 839 patients. Ann Hematol 2003; 82: 148-152.
13. Michiels JJ. Diagnostic criteria of the myeloproliferative disorders (MPD): essential thrombocythaemia, polycythaemia vera and chronic megakaryocytic granulocytic metaplasia. Neth J Med 1997; 51: 57-64.
14. Michiels JJ, Thiele J. Clinical and pathological criteria for the diagnosis of essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera, and idiopathic myelofibrosis (agnogenic myeloid metaplasia). Int J Hematol 2002; 76: 133-145.
15. Michiels JJ. Bone marrow histopathology and biological markers as specific clues to the differential diagnosis of essential thrombocythemia, polycythemia vera and prefibrotic or fibrotic agnogenic myeloid metaplasia. Hematol J 2004; 5: 93-102.
16. Lengfelder E, Hochhaus A, Kronawitter U et al. Should a platelet limit of 600 x 109/l be used as a diagnostic criterion in essential thrombocythaemia? An analysis of the natural course including early stages. Br J Haematol 1998; 100: 15-23.
17. Michiels JJ. Platelet-mediated microvascular inflammation and thrombosis in thrombocythemia vera: a distinct aspirin-responsive arterial thrombophilia, which transforms into a bleeding diathesis at increasing platelet counts. Pathol Biol (Paris) 2003; 51: 167-175.
18. Mitus AJ, Schafer AI. Thrombocytosis and thrombocythemia. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 1990; 4: 157-178.
19. Barbui T, Cortelazzo S, Viero P et al. Thrombohaemorrhagic complications in 101 cases of myeloproliferative disorders: relationship to platelet number and function. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1983; 19: 1593-1599.
20. Michiels JJ, Berneman ZN, Schroyens W et al. Pathophysiology and treatment of platelet-mediated microvascular disturbances, major thrombosis and bleeding complications in essential thrombocythaemia and polycythaemia vera. Platelets 2004; 15: 67-84.
21. Storen EC, Tefferi A. Long-term use of anagrelide in young patients with essential thrombocythemia. Blood 2001; 97: 863-866.
22. Regev A, Stark P, Blickstein D et al. Thrombotic complications in essential thrombocythemia with relatively low platelet counts. Am J Hematol 1997; 56: 168-172.
23. Cortelazzo S, Viero P, Finazzi G et al. Incidence and risk factors for thrombotic complications in a historical cohort of 100 patients with essential thrombocythemia. J Clin Oncol 1990; 8: 556-562.
24. Besses C, Cervantes F, Pereira A et al. Major vascular complications in essential thrombocythemia: a study of the predictive factors in a series of 148 patients. Leukemia 1999; 13: 150-154.
25. Cortelazzo S, Finazzi G, Ruggeri M et al. Hydroxyurea for patients with essential thrombocythemia and a high risk of thrombosis. N Engl J Med 1995; 332: 1132-1136.
26. Bucalossi A, Marotta G, Bigazzi C et al. Reduction of antithrombin III, protein C, and protein S levels and activated protein C resistance in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia patients with thrombosis. Am J Hematol 1996; 52: 14-20.
27. Amitrano L, Guardascione MA, Ames PR et al. Thrombophilic genotypes, natural anticoagulants, and plasma homocysteine in myeloproliferative disorders: relationship with splanchnic vein thrombosis and arterial disease. Am J Hematol 2003; 72: 75-81.
28. Ruggeri M, Gisslinger H, Tosetto A et al. Factor V Leiden mutation carriership and venous thromboembolism in polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. Am J Hematol 2002; 71: 1-6.
29. Gisslinger H, Mannhalter C, Pabinger I et al. High risk of deep vein thrombosis in carriers of a prothrombin-gene mutation in patients with polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. Abstr. 3144. Blood 2002; 100: 796a.
30. Falanga A. Thrombosis and malignancy: an underestimated problem. Haematologica 2003; 88: 607-610.
31. Griesshammer M, Grünewald M, Michiels JJ. Acquired thrombophilia in pregnancy: essential thrombocythemia. Semin Thromb Hemost 2003; 29: 205-212.
32. Gisslinger H, Rodeghiero F, Ruggeri M et al. Homocysteine levels in polycythaemia vera and essential thrombocythaemia. Br J Haematol 1999; 105: 551-555.
33. Schwarz J, Hrachovinova I, Vorlova Z et al. Thromboembolism in thrombocythemia patients with an additional thrombophilic state. Abstr. 974. Hematol J 2004; 5(Suppl. 2): S321.
34. Harrison CN, Donohoe S, Carr P et al. Patients with essential thrombocythaemia have an increased prevalence of antiphospholipid antibodies which may be associated with thrombosis. Thromb Haemost 2002; 87: 802-807.
35. Musolino C, Alonci A, Bellomo G et al. Myeloproliferative disease: markers of endothelial and platelet status in patients with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. Hematology 2000; 4: 397-402.
36. Musolino C, Calabro L, Bellomo G et al. Soluble angiogenic factors: implications for chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Am J Hematol 2002; 69: 159-163.
37. Teofili L, Pierconti F, Di Febo A et al. The expression pattern of c-mpl in megakaryocytes correlates with thrombotic risk in essential thrombocythemia. Blood 2002; 100: 714-717.
38. Harrison CN, Gale RE, Machin SJ et al. A large proportion of patients with a diagnosis of essential thrombocythemia do not have a clonal disorder and may be at lower risk of thrombotic complications. Blood 1999; 93: 417-424.
39. Schafer AI, Levine MN, Konkle BA et al. Thrombotic disorders: diagnosis and treatment. Hematology (Am Soc Hematol Educ Program) 2003: 520-539.
40. Tripodi A. Levels of coagulation factors and venous thromboembolism. Haematologica 2003; 88: 705-711.
41. Nowak-Gottl U, Duering C, Kempf-Bielack B et al. Thromboembolic diseases in neonates and children. Pathophysiol Haemost Thromb 2003; 33: 269-274.
42. Wehmeier A, Sudhoff T, Meierkord F. Relation of platelet abnormalities to thrombosis and hemorrhage in chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Semin Thromb Hemost 1997; 23: 391-402.
43. Rao AK. Molecular and biochemical basis for the platelet dysfunction in myeloproliferative disorders. Semin Hematol 2004; 41(Suppl. 3): 6-9.
44. Tatewaki W, Shibata A. Acquired von Willebrand disease in patients with chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Leuk Lymphoma 1989; 1: 51-57.
45. Dameshek W. Some speculation on the myeloproliferative syndromes. Blood 1951; 6: 372-375.
46. Yan L, Elkassar N, Gardin C et al. Clonality assays and megakaryocyte culture techniques in essential thrombocythemia. Leuk Lymphoma 1996; 22(Suppl 1): 31-40.
47. El-Kassar N, Hetet G, Briere J et al. Clonality analysis of hematopoiesis in essential thrombocythemia: advantages of studying T lymphocytes and platelets. Blood 1997; 89: 128-134.
48. Zamora L, Espinet B, Florensa L et al. Clonality analysis by HUMARA assay in Spanish females with essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. Haematologica/Hematol J 2005; 90: 259-261.
49. Skoda RC. Chronic myeloproliferative disorders: molecular markers and pathogenesis. Hematol J 2004; 5(Suppl. 3): S122-S125.
50. Dobo I, Donnard M, Girodon F et al. Standardization and comparison of endogenous erythroid colony assays performed with bone marrow or blood progenitors for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera. Hematol J 2004; 5: 161-167.
51. Pettit JE. The non-leukaemic myeloproliferative disorders. In: Hoffbrand AV, Lewis SM. Postgraduate Haematology. 2nd ed. London: Heinemann 1981: 577-604.
52. Raposa T, Várkonyi J. The relationship between sister chromatid exchange induction and leukemogenicity of different cytostatics. Cancer Detect Prev 1987; 10: 141-151.
53. Mehnert K, Vogel W, Benz R et al. Different effects of mutagens on sister chromatid exchange induction in three Chinese hamster cell lines. Environ Mutagen 1984; 6: 573-583.
54. Schroeder AL. Chromosome instability in mutagen sensitive mutants of Neurospora. Curr Genet 1986; 10: 381-387.
55. Yarbro JW. Mechanism of action of hydroxyurea. Semin Oncol 1992; 19(Suppl. 9): 1-10.
56. Seino Y, Nagao M, Yahagi T et al. Mutagenicity of several classes of antitumor agents to Salmonella typhimurium TA98, TA100, and TA92. Cancer Res 1978; 38: 2148-2156.
57. Marsteinstredet U, Brunborg G, Bjoras M et al. DNA damage induced by 3-chloro-4-(dichloromethyl)-5-hydroxy-2[5H]-furanone (MX) in HL-60 cells and purified DNA in vitro. Mutat Res 1997; 390: 171-178.
58. Andersson M, Agurell E, Vaghef H et al. Extended-term cultures of human T-lymphocytes and the comet assay: a useful combination when testing for genotoxicity in vitro? Mutat Res 2003; 540: 43-55.
59. Nand S, Messmore H, Fisher SG et al. Leukemic transformation in polycythemia vera: analysis of risk factors. Am J Hematol 1990; 34: 32-36.
60. Weinfeld A, Swolin B, Westin J. Acute leukaemia after hydroxyurea therapy in polycythaemia vera and allied disorders: prospective study of efficacy and leukaemogenicity with therapeutic implications. Eur J Haematol 1994; 52: 134-139.
61. Najean Y, Rain JD. Treatment of polycythemia vera: the use of hydroxyurea and pipobroman in 292 patients under the age of 65 years. Blood 1997; 90: 3370-3377.
62. Randi ML, Fabris F, Girolami A. Leukemia and myelodysplasia effect of multiple cytotoxic therapy in essential thrombocythemia. Leuk Lymphoma 2000; 37: 379-385.
63. Nielsen I, Hasselbalch HC. Acute leukemia and myelodysplasia in patients with a Philadelphia chromosome negative chronic myeloproliferative disorder treated with hydroxyurea alone or with hydroxyurea after busulphan. Am J Hematol 2003; 74: 26-31.
64. Sterkers Y, Preudhomme C, Lai JL et al. Acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndromes following essential thrombocythemia treated with hydroxyurea: high proportion of cases with 17p deletion. Blood 1998; 91: 616-622.
65. Tothova E, Fricova M, Stecova N et al. Leukemic transformation of polycythemia vera after treatment with hydroxyurea with abnormalities of chromosome 17. Neoplasma 2001; 48: 389-392.
66. Finazzi G, Caruso V, Marchioli R et al. Acute leukemia in polycythemia vera. An analysis of 1,638 patients enrolled in a prospective observational study. Blood. 2005; 105(7): 2664-2670.
67. Bultas J, Karetová D. Nové trendy ve farmakoterapii kardiovaskulárních chorob. Vnitř Lék 2004; 50(Suppl 1): S37-58.
68. Griesshammer M, Bangerter M, Grünewald M. Current treatment practice for essential thrombocythaemia in adults. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2001; 2: 385-393.
69. Barbui T, Barosi G, Grossi A et al. Practice guidelines for the therapy of essential thrombocythemia. A statement from the Italian Society of Hematology, the Italian Society of Experimental Hematology and the Italian Group for Bone Marrow Transplantation. Haematologica 2004; 89: 215-232.