1. Haines T, Bowles KA, Mitchell D, O’Brien L, Markham D, Plumb S, et al. (2017) Impact of disinvestment from weekend allied health services across acute medical and surgical wards: Two randomised controlled trials. PLoS Med 14(10): e1002412.
2. Chassin MR, Galvin RW (1998) The urgent need to improve health care quality. Institute of Medicine National Roundtable on Health Care Quality. JAMA 280(11): 1000–1005. 9749483
3. Morgan DJ, Dhruva SS, Wright SM, Korenstein D (2016) 2016 Update on medical overuse: a systematic review. JAMA Intern Med 176(11): 1687–1692. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.5381 27654002
4. Ong MS, Mandl KD (2015) National expenditure for false-positive mammograms and breast cancer overdiagnoses estimated at $4 billion a year. Health Aff (Millwood) 34(4): 576–583.
5. Gidwani R, Sinnott P, Avoundjian T, Lo J, Asch SM, Barnett PG (2016) Inappropriate ordering of lumbar spine magnetic resonance imaging: are providers Choosing Wisely? Am J Manag Care 22(2): e68–76. 26881322
6. Little P, Stuart B, Francis N, Douglas E, Tonkin-Crine S, Anthierens S, et al (2013) Effects of internet-based training on antibiotic prescribing rates for acute respiratory-tract infections: a multinational, cluster, randomised, factorial, controlled trial. Lancet 382(9899): 1175–1182. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60994-0 23915885
7. Cresswell K, Majeed A, Bates DW, Sheikh A (2012) Computerised decision support systems for healthcare professionals: an interpretative review. Inform Prim Care 20(2): 115–128. 23710776
8. CBS News. Decision reversed to close some Alberta Hospital beds. Available from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/decision-reversed-to-close-some-alberta-hospital-beds-1.908707 (last accessed 21 July 2017).
9. Haines T, O'Brien L, McDermott F, Markham D, Mitchell D, Watterson D, et al (2014) A novel research design can aid disinvestment from existing health technologies with uncertain effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, and/or safety. J Clin Epidemiol 67(2): 144–151. doi: 10.1016/j.jclinepi.2013.08.014 24275500
10. Shepperd S, Lewin S, Straus S, Clarke M, Eccles MP, Fitzpatrick R, et al (2009) Can we systematically review studies that evaluate complex interventions? PLoS Med 6(8): e1000086. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000086 19668360
11. Keyhani S, Falk R, Howell EA, Bishop T, Korenstein D (2013) Overuse and systems of care: a systematic review. Med Care 51(6): 503–508. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e31828dbafe 23552430
12. Curran GM, Bauer M, Mittman B, Pyne JM, Stetler C (2012) Effectiveness-implementation hybrid designs: combining elements of clinical effectiveness and implementation research to enhance public health impact. Med Care 50(3): 217–226. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3182408812 22310560