1. ZhangZ, ZhangF, AnP, GuoX, ShenY, et al. (2011) Ferroportin1 deficiency in mouse macrophages impairs iron homeostasis and inflammatory responses. Blood 118: 1912–1922.
2. ChoiJG, ChungYH, KimJA, JinYJ, ParkWH, et al. (2012) High HBV-DNA titer in surrounding liver rather than in hepatocellular carcinoma tissue predisposes to recurrence after curative surgical resection. J Clin Gastroenterol 46: 413–419.
3. HeathcoteEJ (2008) Demography and presentation of chronic hepatitis B virus infection. Am J Med 121: S3–11.
4. YeungLT, RobertsEA (2010) Current issues in the management of paediatric viral hepatitis. Liver Int 30: 5–18.
5. RehermannB (2007) Chronic infections with hepatotropic viruses: mechanisms of impairment of cellular immune responses. Semin Liver Dis 27: 152–160.
6. TanYJ (2011) Hepatitis B virus infection and the risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 17: 4853–4857.
7. FuJ, XuD, LiuZ, ShiM, ZhaoP, et al. (2007) Increased regulatory T cells correlate with CD8 T-cell impairment and poor survival in hepatocellular carcinoma patients. Gastroenterology 132: 2328–2339.
8. NissimO, MelisM, DiazG, KleinerDE, TiceA, et al. (2012) Liver regeneration signature in hepatitis B virus (HBV)-associated acute liver failure identified by gene expression profiling. PLoS One 7: e49611.
9. FarciP, DiazG, ChenZ, GovindarajanS, TiceA, et al. (2010) B cell gene signature with massive intrahepatic production of antibodies to hepatitis B core antigen in hepatitis B virus-associated acute liver failure. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 8766–8771.
10. DandriM, LutgehetmannM, PetersenJ (2013) Experimental models and therapeutic approaches for HBV. Semin Immunopathol 35: 7–21.
11. GilgenkrantzH (2011) [Humanized mice for the study of hepatitis C]. Med Sci (Paris) 27: 587–589.
12. de JongYP, RiceCM, PlossA (2010) New horizons for studying human hepatotropic infections. J Clin Invest 120: 650–653.
13. BrezillonN, BrunelleMN, MassinetH, GiangE, LamantC, et al. (2011) Antiviral Activity of Bay 41-4109 on Hepatitis B Virus in Humanized Alb-uPA/SCID Mice. PLoS One 6: e25096.
14. MercerDF, SchillerDE, ElliottJF, DouglasDN, HaoC, et al. (2001) Hepatitis C virus replication in mice with chimeric human livers. Nat Med 7: 927–933.
15. AzumaH, PaulkN, RanadeA, DorrellC, Al-DhalimyM, et al. (2007) Robust expansion of human hepatocytes in Fah−/−/Rag2−/−/Il2rg−/− mice. Nat Biotechnol 25: 903–910.
16. BissigKD, LeTT, WoodsNB, VermaIM (2007) Repopulation of adult and neonatal mice with human hepatocytes: a chimeric animal model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 20507–20511.
17. BissigKD, WielandSF, TranP, IsogawaM, LeTT, et al. (2010) Human liver chimeric mice provide a model for hepatitis B and C virus infection and treatment. J Clin Invest 120: 924–930.
18. WashburnML, BilityMT, ZhangL, KovalevGI, BuntzmanA, et al. (2011) A Humanized Mouse Model to Study Hepatitis C Virus Infection, Immune Response, and Liver Disease. Gastroenterology 140: 1334–1344.
19. RobinetE, BaumertTF (2011) A first step towards a mouse model for hepatitis C virus infection containing a human immune system. J Hepatol 55: 718–720.
20. WangS, ChenZ, HuC, QianF, ChengY, et al. (2013) Hepatitis B virus surface antigen selectively inhibits TLR2 ligand-induced IL-12 production in monocytes/macrophages by interfering with JNK activation. J Immunol 190: 5142–5151.
21. ShiB, RenG, HuY, WangS, ZhangZ, et al. (2012) HBsAg inhibits IFN-alpha production in plasmacytoid dendritic cells through TNF-alpha and IL-10 induction in monocytes. PLoS One 7: e44900.
22. OquendoJ, DubanchetS, CapelF, MabitH, PetitMA (1996) Suppressive effect of hepatitis B virus on the induction of interleukin-1 beta and interleukin-6 gene expression in the THP-1 human monocytic cell line. Eur Cytokine Netw 7: 793–800.
23. BragaTT, Correa-CostaM, GuiseYF, CastoldiA, De OliveiraCD, et al. (2012) MyD88 Signaling Pathway Is Involved in Renal Fibrosis by Favoring a T(H)2 Immune Response and Activating Alternative M2 Macrophages. Mol Med 18: 1231–1239.
24. GlimJE, NiessenFB, EvertsV, van EgmondM, BeelenRH (2012) Platelet derived growth factor-CC secreted by M2 macrophages induces alpha-smooth muscle actin expression by dermal and gingival fibroblasts. Immunobiology 218(6): 924–9.
25. PereiraTA, XieG, ChoiSS, SynWK, VoietaI, et al. (2013) Macrophage-derived hedgehog ligands promotes fibrogenic and angiogenic responses in human schistosomiasis mansoni. Liver Int 33: 149–161.
26. KuraharaH, TakaoS, MaemuraK, MatakiY, KuwahataT, et al. (2013) M2-Polarized Tumor-Associated Macrophage Infiltration of Regional Lymph Nodes Is Associated With Nodal Lymphangiogenesis and Occult Nodal Involvement in pN0 Pancreatic Cancer. Pancreas 42: 155–159.
27. ShirabeK, ManoY, MutoJ, MatonoR, MotomuraT, et al. (2012) Role of tumor-associated macrophages in the progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Surg Today 42: 1–7.
28. ChoiB, ChunE, KimM, KimSY, KimST, et al. (2011) Human T cell development in the liver of humanized NOD/SCID/IL-2Rgamma(null)(NSG) mice generated by intrahepatic injection of CD34(+) human (h) cord blood (CB) cells. Clin Immunol 139: 321–335.
29. AndreMC, ErbacherA, GilleC, SchmaukeV, GoeckeB, et al. (2010) Long-term human CD34+ stem cell-engrafted nonobese diabetic/SCID/IL-2R gamma(null) mice show impaired CD8+ T cell maintenance and a functional arrest of immature NK cells. J Immunol 185: 2710–2720.
30. ShultzLD, SaitoY, NajimaY, TanakaS, OchiT, et al. (2010) Generation of functional human T-cell subsets with HLA-restricted immune responses in HLA class I expressing NOD/SCID/IL2r gamma(null) humanized mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 13022–13027.
31. TraggiaiE, ChichaL, MazzucchelliL, BronzL, PiffarettiJC, et al. (2004) Development of a human adaptive immune system in cord blood cell-transplanted mice. Science 304: 104–107.
32. WilsonJH, PaturzoFX, JohnsonLK, CarreiroMP, HixsonDC, et al. (2006) Rat hepatocyte engraftment in severe combined immunodeficient×beige mice using mouse-specific anti-fas antibody. Xenotransplantation 13: 53–62.
33. VidalI, BlanchardN, AlexandreE, GandilletA, Chenard-NeuMP, et al. (2008) Improved xenogenic hepatocyte implantation into nude mouse liver parenchyma with acute liver failure when followed by repeated anti-Fas antibody (Jo2) treatment. Cell Transplant 17: 507–524.
34. GuidottiJE, MalletVO, ParlierD, MitchellC, FabreM, et al. (2001) Fas/CD95 pathway induces mouse liver regeneration and allows for highly efficient retrovirus-mediated gene transfer. Hepatology 33: 10–15.
35. NishimuraY, HirabayashiY, MatsuzakiY, MusetteP, IshiiA, et al. (1997) In vivo analysis of Fas antigen-mediated apoptosis: effects of agonistic anti-mouse Fas mAb on thymus, spleen and liver. Int Immunol 9: 307–316.
36. MignonA, GuidottiJE, MitchellC, FabreM, WernetA, et al. (1998) Selective repopulation of normal mouse liver by Fas/CD95-resistant hepatocytes. Nat Med 4: 1185–1188.
37. ChenQ, HeF, KwangJ, ChanJK, ChenJ (2012) GM-CSF and IL-4 stimulate antibody responses in humanized mice by promoting T, B, and dendritic cell maturation. J Immunol 189: 5223–5229.
38. ArzumanyanA, ReisHM, FeitelsonMA (2013) Pathogenic mechanisms in HBV- and HCV-associated hepatocellular carcinoma. Nat Rev Cancer 13: 123–135.
39. QuattroniP (2011) Liver: Usefulness of noninvasive biomarkers of fibrosis in chronic liver disease. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8: 659.
40. MurrayPJ, WynnTA (2011) Protective and pathogenic functions of macrophage subsets. Nat Rev Immunol 11: 723–737.
41. SicaA, MantovaniA (2012) Macrophage plasticity and polarization: in vivo veritas. J Clin Invest 122: 787–795.
42. KawabataH, SetoguchiT, YoneK, SoudaM, YoshidaH, et al. (2010) High mobility group box 1 is upregulated after spinal cord injury and is associated with neuronal cell apoptosis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 35: 1109–1115.
43. FengY, YangQ, XuJ, QianG, LiuY (2008) Effects of HMGB1 on PMN apoptosis during LPS-induced acute lung injury. Exp Mol Pathol 85: 214–222.
44. WuH, ChenG, WyburnKR, YinJ, BertolinoP, et al. (2007) TLR4 activation mediates kidney ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Clin Invest 117: 2847–2859.
45. ReinhardL, RuppC, RiedelHD, RuppertT, GieseT, et al. (2012) S100A9 is a biliary protein marker of disease activity in primary sclerosing cholangitis. PLoS One 7: e29821.
46. SimardJC, CesaroA, Chapeton-MontesJ, TardifM, AntoineF, et al. (2013) S100A8 and S100A9 induce cytokine expression and regulate the NLRP3 inflammasome via ROS-dependent activation of NF-kappaB(1.). PLoS One 8: e72138.
47. VanlandschootP, RoobrouckA, Van HoutteF, Leroux-RoelsG (2002) Recombinant HBsAg, an apoptotic-like lipoprotein, interferes with the LPS-induced activation of ERK-1/2 and JNK-1/2 in monocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 297: 486–491.
48. ChengJ, ImanishiH, MorisakiH, LiuW, NakamuraH, et al. (2005) Recombinant HBsAg inhibits LPS-induced COX-2 expression and IL-18 production by interfering with the NFkappaB pathway in a human monocytic cell line, THP-1. J Hepatol 43: 465–471.
49. VanlandschootP, Van HoutteF, RoobrouckA, FarhoudiA, Leroux-RoelsG (2002) Hepatitis B virus surface antigen suppresses the activation of monocytes through interaction with a serum protein and a monocyte-specific receptor. J Gen Virol 83: 1281–1289.
50. MeulemanP, Leroux-RoelsG (2008) The human liver-uPA-SCID mouse: a model for the evaluation of antiviral compounds against HBV and HCV. Antiviral Res 80: 231–238.
51. ZenderL, HutkerS, LiedtkeC, TillmannHL, ZenderS, et al. (2003) Caspase 8 small interfering RNA prevents acute liver failure in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 7797–7802.
52. ShultzLD, IshikawaF, GreinerDL (2007) Humanized mice in translational biomedical research. Nat Rev Immunol 7: 118–130.
53. HaridassD, YuanQ, BeckerPD, CantzT, IkenM, et al. (2009) Repopulation efficiencies of adult hepatocytes, fetal liver progenitor cells, and embryonic stem cell-derived hepatic cells in albumin-promoter-enhancer urokinase-type plasminogen activator mice. Am J Pathol 175: 1483–1492.
54. MitchellT, ArmstrongGL, HuDJ, WasleyA, PainterJA (2011) The increasing burden of imported chronic hepatitis B - United States, 1974–2008. PLoS One 6: e27717.
55. KimBK, RevillPA, AhnSH (2011) HBV genotypes: relevance to natural history, pathogenesis and treatment of chronic hepatitis B. Antivir Ther 16: 1169–1186.
56. JiangQ, ZhangL, WangR, JeffreyJ, WashburnML, et al. (2008) FoxP3+CD4+ regulatory T cells play an important role in acute HIV-1 infection in humanized Rag2−/−gammaC−/− mice in vivo. Blood 112: 2858–2868.
57. SchmelzerE, WauthierE, ReidLM (2006) The phenotypes of pluripotent human hepatic progenitors. Stem Cells 24: 1852–1858.
58. ZhangL, KovalevGI, SuL (2007) HIV-1 infection and pathogenesis in a novel humanized mouse model. Blood 109: 2978–2981.
59. PajvaniUB, TrujilloME, CombsTP, IyengarP, JelicksL, et al. (2005) Fat apoptosis through targeted activation of caspase 8: a new mouse model of inducible and reversible lipoatrophy. Nat Med 11: 797–803.
60. LinM, ChenQ, YangLY, LiWY, CaoXB, et al. (2007) Hepatitis B virus infection and replication in primarily cultured human fetal hepatocytes. World J Gastroenterol 13: 1027–1031.
61. SugiyamaM, TanakaY, KurbanovF, MaruyamaI, ShimadaT, et al. (2009) Direct cytopathic effects of particular hepatitis B virus genotypes in severe combined immunodeficiency transgenic with urokinase-type plasminogen activator mouse with human hepatocytes. Gastroenterology 136: 652–e653, 652-662, e653.
62. KnodellRG, IshakKG, BlackWC, ChenTS, CraigR, et al. (1981) Formulation and application of a numerical scoring system for assessing histological activity in asymptomatic chronic active hepatitis. Hepatology 1: 431–435.
63. LindhG, WeilandO, GlaumannH (1988) The application of a numerical scoring system for evaluating the histological outcome in patients with chronic hepatitis B followed in long-term. Hepatology 8: 98–103.
64. ZouZ, XuD, LiB, XinS, ZhangZ, et al. (2009) Compartmentalization and its implication for peripheral immunologically-competent cells to the liver in patients with HBV-related acute-on-chronic liver failure. Hepatol Res 39: 1198–1207.
65. ZhangZ, ChenD, YaoJ, ZhangH, JinL, et al. (2007) Increased infiltration of intrahepatic DC subsets closely correlate with viral control and liver injury in immune active pediatric patients with chronic hepatitis B. Clin Immunol 122: 173–180.