1. LampsonGP, TytellAA, FieldAK, NemesMM, HillemanMR (1967) Inducers of interferon and host resistance. I. Double-stranded RNA from extracts of Penicillium funiculosum. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 58: 782–789.
2. FieldAK, TytellAA, LampsonGP, HillemanMR (1967) Inducers of interferon and host resistance. II. Multistranded synthetic polynucleotide complexes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 58: 1004–1010.
3. LeeSB, EstebanM (1994) The interferon-induced double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase induces apoptosis. Virology 199: 491–496.
4. BurkeDC, GrahamCF, LehmanJM (1978) Appearance of interferon inducibility and sensitivity during differentiation of murine teratocarcinoma cells in vitro. Cell 13: 243–248.
5. SvobodaP, SteinP, HayashiH, SchultzRM (2000) Selective reduction of dormant maternal mRNAs in mouse oocytes by RNA interference. Development 127: 4147–4156.
6. YangS, TuttonS, PierceE, YoonK (2001) Specific double-stranded RNA interference in undifferentiated mouse embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell Biol 21: 7807–7816.
7. PaddisonPJ, CaudyAA, HannonGJ (2002) Stable suppression of gene expression by RNAi in mammalian cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99: 1443–1448.
8. SteinP, ZengF, PanH, SchultzRM (2005) Absence of non-specific effects of RNA interference triggered by long double-stranded RNA in mouse oocytes. Dev Biol 286: 464–471.
9. LiY, LuJ, HanY, FanX, DingSW (2013) RNA interference functions as an antiviral immunity mechanism in mammals. Science 342: 231–234.
10. MaillardPV, CiaudoC, MarchaisA, LiY, JayF, et al. (2013) Antiviral RNA interference in mammalian cells. Science 342: 235–238.
11. SeoGJ, KincaidRP, PhanaksriT, BurkeJM, PareJM, et al. (2013) Reciprocal inhibition between intracellular antiviral signaling and the RNAi machinery in mammalian cells. Cell Host Microbe 14: 435–445 doi:10.1016/j.chom.2013.09.002
12. TakeuchiO, AkiraS (2009) Innate immunity to virus infection. Immunol Rev 227: 75–86.
13. SwartzendruberDE, LehmanJM (1975) Neoplastic differentiation: interaction of simian virus 40 and polyoma virus with murine teratocarcinoma cells in vitro. J Cell Physiol 85: 179–187.
14. ChenLL, YangL, CarmichaelGG (2010) Molecular basis for an attenuated cytoplasmic dsRNA response in human embryonic stem cells. Cell Cycle 9: 3552–3564.
15. WangR, WangJ, PaulAM, AcharyaD, BaiF, et al. (2013) Mouse embryonic stem cells are deficient in type I interferon expression in response to viral infections and double-stranded RNA. J Biol Chem 288: 15926–15936.
16. HongXX, CarmichaelGG (2013) Innate immunity in pluripotent human cells: attenuated response to interferon-β. J Biol Chem 288: 16196–16205.
17. FireA, XuS, MontgomeryMK, KostasSA, DriverSE, et al. (1998) Potent and specific genetic interference by double-stranded RNA in Caenorhabditis elegans. Nature 391: 806–811.
18. KennerdellJR, CarthewRW (1998) Use of dsRNA-mediated genetic interference to demonstrate that frizzled and frizzled 2 act in the wingless pathway. Cell 95: 1017–1026.
19. NgôH, TschudiC, GullK, UlluE (1998) Double-stranded RNA induces mRNA degradation in Trypanosoma brucei. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 95: 14687–14692.
20. UmbachJL, CullenBR (2009) The role of RNAi and microRNAs in animal virus replication and antiviral immunity. Genes Dev 23: 1151–1164.
21. CullenBR (2006) Is RNA interference involved in intrinsic antiviral immunity in mammals? Nat Immunol 7: 563–567.
22. JeangKT (2012) RNAi in the regulation of mammalian viral infections. BMC Biol 10: 58 doi:10.1186/1741-7007-10-58
23. de VriesW, BerkhoutB (2008) RNAi suppressors encoded by pathogenic human viruses. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 40: 2007–2012.
24. LeungAK, VyasS, RoodJE, BhutkarA, SharpPA, et al. (2011) Poly(ADP-ribose) regulates stress responses and microRNA activity in the cytoplasm. Mol Cell 42: 489–499.
25. MazumderA, BoseM, ChakrabortyA, ChakrabartiS, BhattacharyyaSN (2013) A transient reversal of miRNA-mediated repression controls macrophage activation. EMBO Rep 14: 1008–1016 doi:10.1038/embor.2013.149
26. HeL, HannonGJ (2004) MicroRNAs: small RNAs with a big role in gene regulation. Nat Rev Genet 5: 522–531.
27. BartelDP, ChenCZ (2004) Micromanagers of gene expression: the potentially widespread influence of metazoan microRNAs. Nat Rev Genet 5: 396–400.
28. HertzogPJ, HwangSY, KolaI (1994) Role of interferons in the regulation of cell proliferation, differentiation, and development. Mol Reprod Dev 39: 226–232.
29. MaJ, FlemrM, SteinP, BerningerP, MalikR, et al. (2010) MicroRNA activity is suppressed in mouse oocytes. Curr Biol 20: 265–270 doi:10.1016/j.cub.2009.12.042