1. MathersCD, LoncarD (2006) Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med 3(11): e442 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0030442
2. MurrayCJ, VosT, LozanoR, NaghaviM, FlaxmanAD, et al. (2013) Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380: 2197–2223.
3. Druss BG, Walker ER (2011) Mental disorders and medical momobidity. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
4. PrinceM, PatelV, SaxenaS, MajM, MaselkoJ, et al. (2007) Global mental health 1 - No health without mental health. Lancet 370: 859–877.
5. Anderson G, Horvath J (2002) Chronic conditions: making the case for ongoing care. Prepared by Partnership for Solutions, Johns Hopkins University, for The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University.
6. MoussaviS, ChatterjiS, VerdesE, TandonA, PatelV, et al. (2007) Depression, chronic diseases, and decrements in health: results from the World Health Surveys. Lancet 370: 851–858.
7. ParryCD, PatraJ, RehmJ (2011) Alcohol consumption and non-communicable diseases: epidemiology and policy implications. Addiction 106: 1718–1724.
8. World Health Organization (2003) Investing in Mental Health. Geneva: WHO.
9. DiMatteoMR, LepperHS, CroghanTW (2000) Depression is a risk factor for noncompliance with medical treatment - Meta-analysis of the effects of anxiety and depression on patient adherence. Arch Intern Med 160: 2101–2107.
10. SahaS, ChantD, McGrathJ (2007) A systematic review of mortality in schizophrenia: is the differential mortality gap worsening over time? Arch Gen Psychiat 64: 1123–1131.
11. MuenchJ, HamerA (2010) Adverse effects of antipsychotic medications. Am Fam Physician 81: 617–622.
12. KesslerRC, HeeringaS, LakomaMD, PetukhovaM, RuppAE, et al. (2008) Individual and societal effects of mental disorders on earnings in the united states: Results from the national comorbidity survey replication. Am J Psychiat 165: 703–711.
13. SoniA (2009) The Five Most Costly Conditions, 1996 and 2006: Estimates for the U.S. Civilian Noninstitutionalized Population. Statistical Brief #248. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
14. Melek S, Norris D (2008) Chronic Conditions and Comorbid Psychological Disorders. Seattle: Milliman Research Report.
15. Bloom DE, Cafiero ET, Jané-Llopis E, Abrahams-Gessel S, Bloom LR, et al.. (2011) The Global Economic Burden of Non-communicable Diseases. Geneva: World Economic Forum.
16. Starfield B (1998) Primary care: balancing health needs, services, and technology. New York: Oxford University Press. 438 p.
17. PatelV, ThornicroftG (2009) Packages of care for mental, neurological, and substance use disorders in low- and middle-income countries: PLoS Medicine Series. PLoS Med 6: e1000160 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000160
18. GilbodyS, BowerP, FletcherJ, RichardsD, SuttonAJ (2006) Collaborative care for depression: A cumulative meta-analysis and review of longer-term outcomes. Arch Intern Med 166: 2314–2321.
19. PatelV, SimonG, ChowdharyN, KaayaS, ArayaR (2009) Packages of care for depression in low- and middle-income countries. PLoS Med 6: e1000159 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000159
20. WellsKB, SherbourneC, SchoenbaumM, DuanN, MeredithL, et al. (2000) Impact of disseminating quality improvement programs for depression in managed primary care: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 283: 212–220.
21. EllK, XieB, KapetanovicS, QuinnDI, LeePJ, et al. (2011) One-year follow-up of collaborative depression care for low-income, predominantly Hispanic patients with cancer. Psychiat Serv 62: 162–170.
22. EllK, XieB, QuonB, QuinnDI, Dwight-JohnsonM, et al. (2008) Randomized controlled trial of collaborative care management of depression among low-income patients with cancer. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 26: 4488–4496.
23. EllK, ArandaMP, XieB, LeePJ, ChouCP (2010) Collaborative depression treatment in older and younger adults with physical illness: pooled comparative analysis of three randomized clinical trials. Am J Geriatric Psych 18: 520–530.
24. ShojaniaKG, RanjiSR, McDonaldKM, GrimshawJM, SundaramV, et al. (2006) Effects of quality improvement strategies for type 2 diabetes on glycemic control - A meta-regression analysis. JAMA-J Am Med Assoc 296: 427–440.
25. MoriartyKJ, PlattH, CromptonS, DarlingW, BlakemoreM, et al. (2007) Collaborative care for alcohol-related liver disease. Clin Med 7: 125–128.
26. JonasDE, GarbuttJC, AmickHR, BrownJM, BrownleyKA, et al. (2012) Behavioral counseling after screening for alcohol misuse in primary care: a systematic review and meta-analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 157: 645–654.
27. KatonWJ, LinEHB, Von KorffM, CiechanowskiP, LudmanEJ, et al. (2010) Collaborative care for patients with depression and chronic illnesses. N Engl J Med 363: 2611–2620.
28. WalshJME, McDonaldKM, ShojaniaKG, SundaramV, NayakS, et al. (2006) Quality improvement strategies for hypertension management - A systematic review. Med Care 44: 646–657.
29. KatonWJ, RussoJE, Von KorffM, LinEHB, LudmanE, et al. (2008) Long-term effects on medical costs of improving depression outcomes in patients with depression and diabetes. Diabetes Care 31: 1155–1159.
30. Lancet Global Mental Health Group (2007) Scale up services for mental disorders: A call for action. Lancet 370: 1241–1252.
31. PatelV, WeissHA, ChowdharyN, NaikS, PednekarS, et al. (2010) Effectiveness of an intervention led by lay health counsellors for depressive and anxiety disorders in primary care in Goa, India (MANAS): a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 376: 2086–2095.
32. PatelVH, KirkwoodBR, PednekarS, ArayaR, KingM, et al. (2008) Improving the outcomes of primary care attenders with common mental disorders in developing countries: A cluster randomized controlled trial of a collaborative stepped care intervention in Goa, India. Trials 9: 4.
33. AliBS, RahbarMH, NaeemS, GulA, MubeenS, et al. (2003) The effectiveness of counseling on anxiety and depression by minimally trained counselors: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Psychother 57: 324–336.
34. RahmanA, MalikA, SikanderS, RobertsC, CreedF (2008) Cognitive behaviour therapy-based intervention by community health workers for mothers with depression and their infants in rural Pakistan: A cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 372: 902–909.
35. ArayaR, RojasG, FritschR, GaeteJ, RojasM, et al. (2003) Treating depression in primary care in low-income women in Santiago, Chile: A randomised controlled trial. Lancet 361: 995–1000.
36. BassJ, NeugebauerR, CloughertyKF, VerdeliH, WickramaratneP, et al. (2006) Group interpersonal psychotherapy for depression in rural Uganda: 6-month outcomes: randomised controlled trial. Br J Psychiatry 188: 567–573.
37. HonikmanS, van HeyningenT, FieldS, BaronE, TomlinsonM (2012) Stepped care for maternal mental health: a case study of the perinatal mental health project in South Africa. PLoS Med 9: e1001222 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001222
38. KakumaR, MinasH, van GinnekenN, Dal PozMR, DesirajuK, et al. (2011) Human resources for mental health care: current situation and strategies for action. Lancet 378: 1654–1663.
39. EatonJ, McCayL, SemrauM, ChatterjeeS, BainganaF, et al. (2011) Scale up of services for mental health in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 378: 1592–1603.
40. MirandaJJ, PatelV (2005) Achieving the Millennium Development Goals: does mental health play a role? PLoS Med 2: e291 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0020291.
41. DaarAS, NabelEG, PrammingSK, AndersonW, BeaudetA, et al. (2009) The global alliance for chronic diseases. Science 324: 1642.
42. CollinsPY, PatelV, JoestlSS, MarchD, InselTR, et al. (2011) Grand challenges in global mental health. Nature 475: 27–30.
43. Grand Challenges Canada (2012) Global Mental Health. Available: http://www.grandchallenges.ca/grand-challenges/gc4-non-communicable-diseases/mentalhealth/. Accessed 1 June 2012.
44. Lancet Global Mental Health Group (2011) Series on Global Mental Health. Lancet 378: 1441–1442.
45. Social Development Department, The World Bank Group (2008) Realizing Rights Through Social Guarantees: An Analysis of New Approaches to Social Policy in Latin America and South Africa. Washington, D.C.: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/The World Bank.
46. ArayaR, AlvaradoR, MinolettiA (2009) Chile: an ongoing mental health revolution. Lancet 374: 597–598.