1. CollinsPY, InselTR, ChockalingamA, DaarA, MaddoxYT (2013) Grand Challenges in global mental health: integration in research, policy, and practice. PLoS Med 10: e1001434 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001434.
2. EatonJ, McCayL, SemrauM, ChatterjeeS, BainganaF, ArayaR, et al. (2011) Scale up of services for mental health in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 378(9802): 1592–1603.
3. Herrman H, Saxena S, Moodie R (2006) Promoting mental health: concepts, emerging evidence, practice. Geneva: World Health Organization.
4. PrinceM, PatelV, SaxenaS, MajM, MaselkoJ, et al. (2007) No health without mental health. Lancet 370: 859–877.
5. VosT, FlaxmanAD, NaghaviM, LozanoR, MichaudC, et al. (2012) Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990—2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380: 2163–2196.
6. WachsTD, BlackMM, EnglePL (2009) Maternal depression: a global threat to children's health, development, and behavior and to human rights. Child Development Perspectives 3: 51–59.
7. MirandaJJ, PatelV (2005) Achieving the Millennium Development Goals: does mental health play a role? PLoS Med 2: e291 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0020291.
8. O'HaraMW, SwainAM (1996) Rates and risk of postpartum depression—a meta-analysis. International Review of Psychiatry 8: 37–54.
9. FisherJ, Cabral de MelloM, PatelV, RahmanA, TranT, et al. (2012) Prevalence and determinants of common perinatal mental disorders in women in low- and lower-middle-income countries: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ 90: 139G–149G.
10. FalcetoOG, GiuglianiER, FernandesCL (2004) Influence of parental mental health on early termination of breast-feeding: a case-control study. J Am Board Fam Pract 17(3): 173–183.
11. AnnagürA, AnnagürBB, SahinA, OrsR, KaraF (2012) Is maternal depressive symptomatology effective on success of exclusive breastfeeding during postpartum 6 weeks? Breastfeed Med. Epub ahead of print 5 Oct 2012.
12. HoffmanS, HatchMC (2000) Depressive symptomatology during pregnancy: evidence for an association with decreased fetal growth in pregnancies of lower social class women. Health Psychol 19(6): 535–543.
13. AnderssonL, Sundström-PoromaaI, WulffM, AströmM, BixoM (2004) Neonatal outcome following maternal antenatal depression and anxiety: a population-based study. Am J Epidemiol 159(9): 872–881.
14. GroteNK, BridgeJA, GavinAR, MelvilleJL, IyengarS, et al. (2010) A meta-analysis of depression during pregnancy and the risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and intrauterine growth restriction. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67: 1012–1024.
15. SurkanPJ, KennedyCE, HurleyKM, BlackMM (2011) Maternal depression and early childhood growth in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bull World Health Organ 287: 607–615D.
16. ZuckermanB, AmaroH, BauchnerH, CabralH (1989) Depressive symptoms during pregnancy: relationship to poor health behaviors. Am J Obstet Gynecol 160: 1107–1111.
17. LanziRG, PascoeJM, KeltnerB, RameySL (1999) Correlates of maternal depressive symptoms in a national Head Start programme sample. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 153: 801–807.
18. RitterC, HobfollSE, LavinJ, CameronRP, HulsizerMR (2000) Stress, psychosocial resources, and depressive symptomatology during pregnancy in low-income, inner-city women. Health Psychol 19: 576–585.
19. TurnerR, SorensonA, TurnerJ (2000) Social contingencies in mental health: a seven year follow-up study of teenage mothers. J Marriage Fam 62: 777–791.
20. AlbrightMB, Tamis-LeMondaCS (2002) Maternal depressive symptoms in relation to dimensions of parenting in low-income mothers. Appl Dev Psycho 16: 24–34.
21. World Health Organization (2009) Mental health aspects of women's reproductive health: a global review of the literature. Geneva: WHO.
22. LindahlV, PearsonJL, ColpeL (2005) Prevalence of suicidality during pregnancy and the postpartum. Arch Womens Ment Health 8: 77–87.
23. RahmanA, HafeezA (2003) Suicidal feelings run high among mothers in refugee camps: a cross-sectional survey. Acta Psychiatr Scand 108: 392–393.
24. SockolLE, EppersonCN, BarberJP (2011) A meta-analysis of treatments for perinatal depression. Clin Psychol Rev 31: 839–849.
25. MacArthurC, WinterHR, BickDE, LilfordRJ, LancashireRJ, KnowlesH (2003) Redesigning postnatal care: a randomised controlled trial of protocol-based midwifery-led care focused on individual women's physical and psychological health needs. Health Technology Assessment 7(37).
26. LumleyJ, WatsonL, SmallR, BrownS, MitchellC, GunnJ (2006) PRISM (Programme of Resources, Information and Support for Mothers): a community-randomised trial to reduce depression and improve women's physical health six months after birth BMC. Public Health 6: 37.
27. CrockettK, ZlotnickC, DavisM, PayneN, WashingtonR (2008) A depression preventive intervention for rural low-income African-American pregnant women at risk for postpartum depression. Arch Womens Ment Health 11(5–6): 319–325.
28. MorrellCJ, SladeP, WarnerR, PaleyG, DixonS, WaltersSJ, et al. (2009) Clinical effectiveness of health visitor training in psychologically informed approaches for depression in postnatal women: pragmatic cluster randomised trial in primary care. BMJ 338: a3045.
29. RomanLA, GardinerJC, LindsayJK, MooreJS, LuoZ, BaerLJ, et al. (2009) Alleviating perinatal depressive symptoms and stress: a nurse-community health worker randomized trial. Arch Womens Ment Health 12(6): 379–391.
30. TandonSD, PerryDF, MendelsonT, KempK, LeisJA (2011) Preventing perinatal depression in low-income home visiting clients: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 79(5): 707–712.
31. Baker-HenninghamH, PowellC, WalkerS, Grantham-McGregorS (2005) The effect of early stimulation on maternal depression: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Arch Dis Child 90: 1230–1234.
32. RahmanA, MalikA, SikanderS, RobertsC, CreedF (2008) Cognitive behaviour therapy-based intervention by community health workers for mothers with depression and their infants in rural Pakistan: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet 372: 902–909.
33. CooperPJ, TomlinsonM, SwartzL, LandmanM, MoltenoC, et al. (2009) Improving quality of mother-infant relationship and infant attachment in socioeconomically deprived community in South Africa: randomised controlled trial. BMJ 338: b974.
34. HonikmanS, van HeyningenT, FieldS, BaronE, TomlinsonM (2012) Stepped care for maternal mental health: a case study of the perinatal mental health project in South Africa. PLoS Med 9(5): e1001222 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001222.
35. RahmanA (2007) Challenges and opportunities in developing a psychological intervention for perinatal depression in rural Pakistan – a multi-method study. Arch Womens Ment Health 10: 211–219.
36. SaxenaS, ThornicroftG, KnappM, WhitefordH (2007) Resources for mental health: scarcity, inequity and inefficiency. Lancet 370(9590): 878–889.
37. PatelV, BelkinGS, ChockalingamA, CooperJ, SaxenaS, et al. (2013) Integrating mental health services into priority health care programs: addressing a grand challenge in global mental health. PLoS Med 10: e1001448 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001448.
38. WeissmanMM, WickramaratneP, NomuraY, WarnerV, PilowskyD, et al. (2006) Offspring of depressed parents: 20 years later. Am J Psychiatry 163: 1001–1008.
39. CollinsPY, PatelV, JoestlSS, MarchD, InselTR, DaarAS, et al. (2011) Grand challenges in global mental health. Nature 475(7354): 27–30.
40. Desjarlais R, Eisenberg L, Good B, Kleinman A (1995) World mental health: problems and priorities in low income countries. Oxford: Oxford University Press.