1. GroteNK, BridgeJA, GavinAR, MelvilleJL, IyengarS, et al. (2010) A meta-analysis of depression during pregnancy and the risk of preterm birth, low birth weight and intrauterine growth restriction. Arch Gen Psychiatry 67: 1012–1024.
2. HowardLM (2005) Fertility and pregnancy in women with psychotic disorders. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 119: 3–10.
3. MicaliN, SimonoffE, TreasureJ (2007) Risk of major adverse perinatal outcomes in women with eating disorders. Br J Psychiatry 190: 255–259.
4. HowardLM, KirkwoodG, LatinovicR (2007) Sudden infant death syndrome and maternal depression. J Clin Psychiatry 68: 1279–1283.
5. WebbR, AbelK, PicklesA, AppelbyL (2005) Mortality in offspring of parents with psychotic disorders: a critical review and meta-analysis. Am J Psych 162: 1045–1056.
6. WebbRT, AbelKM, PicklesAR, AppelbyL, King-HeleSA, et al. (2006) Mortality risk among offspring of psychiatric inpatients: a population-based follow-up to early adulthood. Am J Psych 163: 2170–2177.
7. BickD, HowardLM (2010) When should women be screened for postnatal depression? Expert Rev Neurother 10: 151–154.
8. MilgromJ, GemmillAW, BilsztaJL, HayesB, BarnetB, et al. (2008) Antenatal risk factors for postnatal depression: a large prospective study. J Affect Disord 108: 147–157.
9. HowardLM, GossC, LeeseM, ApplebyL, ThornicroftG (2004) The psychosocial outcome of pregnancy in women with psychotic disorders. Schizophr Res 71: 49–60.
10. GoodmanSH, RouseMH, ConnellAM, BrothMR, HallCM, et al. (2011) Maternal depression and child psychopathology: a meta-analytic review. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 14: 1–27.
11. O'HaraMW, SwainAM (1996) Rates and risks of postpartum depression—a meta-analysis. Int Rev Psychiatry 8: 37–54.
12. LeightKL, FitelsonEM, WestonCA, WisnerKL (2010) Childbirth and mental disorders. Int Rev Psychiatry 22: 453–471.
13. HowardLM, TrevillionK, Agnew-DaviesR (2010) Domestic violence and mental health. Int Rev Psychiatry 22: 525–534.
14. TrevillionK, OramS, FederG, HowardLM (2012) Experiences of domestic violence and mental disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 7: e51740 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0051740
15. GazmararianJA, LazorickS, SpitzAM, BallardTJ, SaltzmanLE, et al. (1996) Prevalence of violence against pregnant women. JAMA 275: 1915–1920.
16. GazmararianJA, PetersenR, SpitzAM, GoodwinMM, SaltzmanLE, et al. (2000) Violence and reproductive health: current knowledge and future research directions. Matern Child Health J 4: 7984.
17. DevriesKM, KishorS, JohnsonH, StöcklH, BacchusLJ, et al. (2010) Intimate partner violence during pregnancy: analysis of prevalence data from 19 countries. Reprod Health Matters 18: 158–170.
18. FederG, RamsayJ, DunneD, RoseM, ArseneC, et al. (2009) How far does screening women for domestic (partner) violence in different health-care settings meet criteria for a screening programme? Systematic reviews of nine UK National Screening Committee critieria. Health Technol Assess 13: iii–347, iii-iv, xi-xiii, 1-113, 137-347.
19. FlachC, LeeseM, HeronJ, EvansJ, FederG, et al. (2011) Antenatal domestic violence, maternal mental health and subsequent child behaviour: a cohort study. BJOG 118: 1383–1391.
20. BoyA, SalihuHM (2004) Intimate partner violence and birth outcomes: a systematic review. Int J Fertil Womens Med 49: 159–164.
21. MurphyCC, ScheiB, MyhrTL, Du MontJ (2001) Abuse: a risk factor for low birth weight? A systematic review and meta-analysis. CMAJ 164: 1567–1572.
22. Lewis G (2007) Confidential enquiry into maternal and child health: saving mothers' lives. London: Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries.
23. BeydounH, BeydounMA, KaufmanJS, LoB, ZondermanAB (2012) Intimate partner violence against adult women and its association with major depressive disorder, depressive symptoms and postpartum depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Soc Sci Med 75: 959–975.
24. LancasterCA, GoldKJ, FlynnHA, YooH, MarcusSM, et al. (2010) Risk factors for depressive symptoms during pregnancy: a systematic review. Am J Obstet Gynecol 5–14.
25. WuQ, ChenHL, XuXJ (2012) Violence as a risk factor for postpartum depression in mothers: a meta-analysis. Arch Womens Ment Health 15: 107–114.
26. FisherJ, Cabral de MelloC, PatelV, RahmanA, TranT, et al. (2012) Prevalence and determinants of common perinatal mental disorders in women in low and low middle income countries: a systematic review. Bull World Health Organ 90: 139–149.
27. StroupDF, BerlinJA, MortonSC, OlkinI, WilliamsonGD, et al. (2000) Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis Of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 283: 2008–2012.
28. MoherD, LiberatiA, TetzlaffJ, AltmanDG (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. PLoS Med 6: e1000097 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000097
29. ManiglioR (2009) Severe mental illness and criminal victimization: a systematic review. Acta Psychiatr Scand 119: 180–191.
30. FriedmanSH, LoueS (2007) Incidence and prevalence of intimate partner violence by and against women with severe mental illness. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16: 471–480.
31. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (2008) The guidelines manual. London: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence.
32. RamsayJ, CarterY, DavidsonL, DunneD, EldridgeS, et al. (2009) Advocacy interventions to reduce or eliminate violence and promote the physical and psychosocial well-being of women who experience intimate partner abuse. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2009: CD005043 doi:005010.001002/14651858.CD14005043.pub14651852
33. Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (2006) Appraising the evidence. Available: http://www.casp-uk.net/find-appraise-act/appraising-the-evidence/. Accessed 22 April 2012.
34. Cochrane Collaboration (2002) The Cochrane Collaboration open learning material: publication bias. Available: http://www.cochrane-net.org/openlearning/html/mod15-3.htm. Accessed 12 April 2013.
35. StataCorp (2009) Stata statistical software: release 11. College Station (Texas): StataCorp.
36. SmithMV, GotmanN, LinH, YonkersKA (2010) Do the PHQ-8 and the PHQ-2 accurately screen for depressive disorders in a sample of pregnant women? Gen Hosp Psychiatry 32: 544–548.
37. GibsonJ, McKenzie-McHargK, ShakespeareJ, PriceJ, GrayR (2009) A systematic review of studies validating the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale in antepartum and postpartum women. Acta Psychiatr Scand 119: 350–364.
38. AbbaszadehA, KermaniFP, SafizadehH, NakheeN (2011) Violence during pregnancy and postpartum depression. Pak J Med Sci Q 27: 177–181.
39. AhmedHM, AlalafSK, Al-TawilNG (2012) Screening for postpartum depression using Kurdish version of Edinburgh postnatal depression scale. Arch Gynecol Obstet 285: 1249–1255.
40. AliNS, AliBS, AzamIS (2009) Postpartum anxiety and depression in peri-urban communities of Karachi, Pakistan: a quasi-experimental study. BMC Public Health 9: 384.
41. AliNS, AzamIS, AliBS, TabbusumG, MoinSS (2012) Frequency and associated factors for anxiety and depression in pregnant women: a hospital-based cross-sectional study. ScientificWorldJournal 2012: 653098.
42. AmmermanRI, PutnamFW, AltayeM, ChenL, HollebLJ, et al. (2009) Changes in depressive symptoms in first time mothers in home visitation. Child Abuse Negl 33: 127–138.
43. BeydounHA, Al-SahabB, BeydounMA, TamimH (2010) Intimate partner violence as a risk factor for postpartum depression among Canadian women in the Maternity Experience Survey. Ann Epidemiol 20: 575–583.
44. BrownSJ, McDonaldEA, KrastevAH (2008) Fear of an intimate partner and women's health in early pregnancy: findings from the maternal health study. Birth 35: 293–302.
45. BudhathokiN, DahalM, BhusalS, OjhaH, PandeyS, et al. (2012) Violence against women by their husband and postpartum depression. J Nepal Health Res Counc 10: 176–180.
46. CertainHE, MuellerM, JagodzinskiT, FlemingM (2008) Domestic abuse during the previous year in a sample of postpartum women. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 37: 35–41.
47. CerulliC, TalbotNL, TangW, ChaudronLH (2011) Co-occurring intimate partner violence and mental health diagnoses in perinatal women. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 20: 1797–1803.
48. CrempienRC, RojasG, CumsilleP, OdaMC (2011) Domestic violence during pregnancy and mental health: exploratory study in primary health centers in Penalolen. ISRN Obstet Gynecol 2011: 265817.
49. CwikelJ, Lev-WieselR, Al-KrenawiA (2003) The physical and psychosocial health of Bedouin Arab women of the Negev area of Israel: the impact of high fertility and pervasive domestic violence. Violence Against Women 9: 240–257.
50. DeKlyenM, Brooks-GunnJ, McLanahanS, KnabJ (2006) The mental health of married, cohabiting and non-coresident parents with infants. Am J Public Health 96: 1836–1841.
51. DennisCL, VigodS (2013) The relationship between postpartum depression, domestic violence, childhood violence, and substance use: epidemiologic study of a large community sample. Violence Against Women In press.
52. DunnLL, OthsKS (2004) Prenatal predictors of intimate partner abuse. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 33: 54–63.
53. Ferrari AudiCA, Segall-CorreaAM, SantiagoSM, AndradeMdGG, Perez-EscamilaR (2008) Violence against pregnant women: prevalence and associated factors. Rev Saude Publica 42: 877–885.
54. FisherJ, ThachT, BuoiTL, KriitmaaK, RosenthalD, et al. (2010) Common perinatal mental disorders in northern Viet Nam: community prevalence and health care use. Bull World Health Organ 88: 737–745.
55. FisherJ, TranT, Duc TranT, DwyerT, NguyenT, et al. (2012) Prevalence and risk factors for symptoms of common mental disorders in early and late pregnancy in vietnamese women: a prospective population-based study. J Affect Disord 146: 213–219.
56. GaoW, PatersonJ, AbbottM, CarterS, IusitiniL (2010) Pacific Islands families study: intimate partner violence and postnatal depression. J Immigr Minor Health 12: 242–248.
57. GausiaK, FisherC, AliM, OosthuizenJ (2009) Antenatal depression and suicidal ideation among rural Bangladeshi women: a community-based study. Arch Womens Ment Health 12: 351–358.
58. GausiaK, FisherC, AliM, OosthuizenJ (2009) Magnitude and contributory factors of postnatal depression: a community-based cohort study from a rural subdistrict of Bangladesh. Psychol Med 33: 999–1007.
59. GavinA, MelvilleJL, RueT, GuoY, Tabb DinaK, et al. (2011) Racial differences in the prevalence of antenatal depression. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 33: 87–93.
60. Gomez-BelozA, WilliamsMA, SanchezSE, LamN (2009) Intimate partner violence and risk for depression among postpartum women in Lima, Peru. Violence Vict 24: 380–398.
61. GrovesAK, KageeA, MamanS, MoodleyD, RouseP (2012) Associations between intimate partner violence and emotional distress among pregnant women in Durban, South Africa. J Interpers Violence 27: 1341–1356.
62. HartleyM, TomlinsonM, GrecoE, ComuladaWS, StewartJ, et al. (2011) Depressed mood in pregnancy: prevalence and correlates in two Cape Town peri-urban settlements. Reprod Health 89: 8–9.
63. HarveyST, PunPK (2007) Analysis of positive Edinburgh depression scale referrals to a consultation liaison psychiatry service in a two-year period. Int J Ment Health Nurs 16: 161–167.
64. Ho-YenSD, BondevikGT, Eberhard-GranM, BjorvatinB (2007) Factors associated with depressive symptoms among postnatal women in Nepal. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86: 291–297.
65. HusainN, BevcI, HusainM, ChaudhuryIB, AtifN, et al. (2006) Prevalence and social correlates of postnatal depression in a low income country. Arch Womens Ment Health 9: 197–202.
66. ImranN, HaiderII (2010) Screening of antenatal depression in Pakistan: risk factors and effects on obstetric and neonatal outcomes. Asia Pac Psychiatry 2: 26–32.
67. JesseDE, Walcott-McQuiggJ, MariellaA, SwansonMS (2005) Risks and protective factors associated with symptoms of depression in low-income African American and Caucasian women during pregnancy. J Midwifery Womens Health 50: 405–410.
68. JundtK, HaertlK, KnobbeA, KaestnerR, FrieseK, et al. (2009) Pregnant women after physical and sexual abuse in Germany. Gynecol Obstet Invest 68: 82–87.
69. KaraçamZ, AnçelG (2009) Depression, anxiety and influencing factors in pregnancy: a study in a Turkish population. Midwifery 25: 344–356.
70. KarmalianiR, AsadN, BannCM, MossN, McClureEM, et al. (2009) Prevalence of anxiety, depression and associated factors among pregnant women of Hyderabad, Pakistan. Int J Soc Psychiatry 55: 414–424.
71. KielyM, El-MohandesAA, El-KhorazatyM, GantzMG (2010) An integrated intervention to reduce intimate partner violence in pregnancy: a randomized trial. Obstet Gynecol 115: 273–283.
72. KimH, MandellM, CrandallC, KuskowskiM, DieperinkB, et al. (2006) Antenatal psychiatric illness and adequacy of prenatal care in an ethnically diverse inner-city obstetric population. Arch Womens Ment Health 9: 103–107.
73. KornfeldBD, Bair-MerrittMH, FroschE, SolomonBS (2012) Postpartum depression and intimate partner violence in urban mothers: co-occurrence and child healthcare utilization. J Pediatr 161: 348–353.
74. LeungWC, KungF, LamJ, LeungTW, HoPC (2002) Domestic violence and postnatal depression in a Chinese community. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 79: 159–166.
75. LobatoG, MoraesCL, DiasAS, ReichenheimME (2011) Alcohol misuse among partners: a potential effect modifier in the relationship between physical intimate partner violence and postpartum depression. Soc Psychiat Epidemiol 47: 427–438.
76. LudermirA, LewisG, ValongueiroS (2010) Violence against women by their intimate partner during pregnancy and postnatal depression: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 376: 903–910.
77. MaltaLA, McDonaldSW, HegadorenKM, WellerCA, ToughSC (2012) Influence of interpersonal violence on maternal anxiety, depression, stress and parenting morale in the early postpartum: a community based pregnancy cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 12: 153.
78. ManzolliP, NunesMA, SchmidtMI, FerriCP (2012) Abuse against women, depression, and infant morbidity: a primary care cohort study in Brazil. Am J Prev Med 43: 188–195.
79. MartinSL, YunL, CasanuevaC, Hanis-BrittA, KupperLL, et al. (2006) Intimate partner violence and women's depression before and during pregnancy. Violence Against Women 12: 221–239.
80. McGarryJ, KimH, ShengXM, EggerM, BakshL (2009) Postpartum depression and help-seeking behavior. J Midwifery Womens Health 54: 50–56.
81. MeloEFJr, CecattiJG, PacagnellaRC, LeiteDFB, VulcaniDE, et al. (2012) The prevalence of perinatal depression and its associated factors in two different settings in Brazil. J Affect Disord 136: 1204–1208.
82. MezeyG, BacchusL, BewleyS (2005) Domestic violence, lifetime trauma and psychological health of childbearing women. BJOG 112: 197–204.
83. MiszkurkaM, ZunzuneguiMV, GouletL (2012) Immigrant status, antenatal depressive symptoms, and frequency and source of violence: what's the relationship? Arch Womens Ment Health 15: 387–396.
84. NasreenHE, KabirZN, ForsellY, EdhborgM (2011) Prevalence and associated factors of depressive and anxiety symptoms during pregnancy: a population based study in rural Bangladesh. BMC Womens Health 11: 22.
85. NunesMA, CameyS, FerriCP, ManzolliP, ManentiCN, et al. (2011) Violence during pregnancy and newborn outcomes: a cohort study in a disadvantaged population in Brazil. Eur J Public Health 21: 92–97.
86. PatelV, RodriguesM, DeSouzaN (2002) Gender, poverty, and postnatal depression: a study of mother in Goa, India. Am J Psych 159: 43–47.
87. PollockJI, Manaseki-HollandS, PatelV (2009) Depression in Mongolian women over the first 2 months after childbirth: prevalence and risk factors. J Affect Disord 116: 126–133.
88. PoolerJ, PerryDF, GhandourRM (2013) Prevalence and risk factors for postpartum depressive symptoms among women enrolled in WIC. Matern Child Health J E-pub ahead of print.
89. QuelopanaA (2012) Violence against women and postpartum depression: the experience of Chilean women. Women Health 52: 437–453.
90. RadestadI, EbelingM, HildingssonI, RubertssonC (2004) What factors in early pregnancy indicate that the mother will be hit by her partner during the year after childbirth? A nationwide Swedish survey. Birth 31: 84–92.
91. RecordsK, RiceMJ (2009) Lifetime physical and sexual abuse and the risk for depression symptoms in the first 8 months after birth. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 30: 181–190.
92. RodriguezMA, HeilemannMV, FielderE, AngA, NevarezF, et al. (2008) Intimate partner violence, depression, and PTSD among pregnant Latina women. Ann Fam Med 6: 44–52.
93. RomitoP, PomicinoL, LucchettaC, ScriminF, TuranJM (2009) The relationships between physical violence, verbal abuse and women's psychological distress during the postpartum period. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 30: 115–121.
94. Saurel-CubizollesMJ, BlondelB, LelongN, RomitoP (1997) Marital violence after birth. Fertil Contracept Sex 25: 159–164.
95. SengJS, LowLK, SperlichM, RonisDL, LiberzonI (2009) Prevalence, trauma history, and risk for posttraumatic stress disorder among nulliparous women in maternity care. Obstet Gynecol 114: 839–847.
96. ThananowanN, HeidrichS (2008) Intimate partner violence among pregnant Thai women. Violence Against Women 14: 509–527.
97. ThompsonJ, CanterinoJC, FeldSM, StumpfPG, KuoY, et al. (2000) Risk factors for domestic violence in pregnant women. Prim Care Update Ob Gyns 7: 138–141.
98. TiwariA, ChanKL, FongD, LeungWC, BrownridgeDA, et al. (2008) The impact of psychological abuse by an intimate partner on the mental health of pregnant women. BJOG 115: 377–384.
99. TutenM, JonesHE, TranG, SvikisDS (2004) Partner violence impacts the psychosocial and psychiatric status of pregnant, drug-dependent women. Addict Behav 29: 1029–1034.
100. WoolhouseH, GartlandD, HegartyK, BrownS (2012) Depressive symptoms and intimate partner violence in the 12 months after childbirth: a prospective pregnancy cohort study. BJOG 119: 315–323.
101. ZhangY, ZouS, CaoY (2012) Relationship between domestic violence and postnatal depression among pregnant Chinese women. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 116: 26–30.
102. DolatianM, HesamiK, ShamsJ, MajdHA (2010) Relationship between violence during pregnancy and postpartum depression. Iran Red Crescent Med J 12: 377–383.
103. HayesBA, CampbellA, BuckbyB, GeiaLK, EganME (2010) The interface of mental and emotional health and pregnancy in urban indigenous women: research in progress. Infant Ment Health J 31: 277–290.
104. Trevillion K (2013) The identification and response of psychiatric services to domestic violence [PhD dissertation]. London: Instsitute of Psychiatry, King's College London.
105. World Health Organization, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (2010) Preventing intimate partner and sexual violence against women: taking action and generating evidence. Geneva: World Health Organization.
106. United Kingdom Department of Health (2008) Refocusing the care programme approach: policy and positive practice guidance. London: Department of Health. 64 p.
107. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2004) Screening for family and intimate partner violence. Rockville (Maryland): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
108. JahanfarS, JanssenPA, HowardLM, DowswellT (2011) Interventions for preventing or reducing domestic violence against pregnant women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011: CD14009414 doi:10.1002/14651858.CD14009414