1. WHO (2001) The World Health Report 2001: Mental Health: New Understanding, New Hope. Geneva: World Health Organization.
2. MurrayCJL, VosT, LozanoR, NaghaviM, FlaxmanAD, et al. (2012) Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380: 2197–2223.
3. VosT, FlaxmanAD, NaghaviM, LozanoR, MichaudC, et al. (2012) Years lived with disability (YLDs) for 1160 sequelae of 289 diseases and injuries 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380: 2163–2196.
4. SidibeM, PiotP, DybulM (2012) AIDS is not over. Lancet 380: 2058–2060.
5. TomlinsonM, DohertyT, JacksonD, LawnJE, IjumbaP, et al. (2011) An effectiveness study of an integrated community-based package for maternal, newborn, child and HIV care in South Africa: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 12: 236.
6. RaviolaG, BeckerAE, FarmerP (2011) A global scope for global health–including mental health. Lancet 378 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(1011)60941–60940.
7. WHO (2005) Preventing chronic diseases: a vital investment: WHO Global Report. Geneva: World Health Organization.
8. AntelmanG, KaayaS, WeiR, MbwamboJ, MsamangoGI, et al. (2007) Depressive symptoms increase risk of HIV disease progression and mortality among women in Tanzania. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 44: 470–477.
9. EdmondsonD, RichardsonS, FalzonL, DavidsonKW, MillsMA, et al. (2012) Posttraumatic stress disorder prevalence and risk of recurrence in acute coronary syndrome in patients: A meta-analytic review. PLoS One 7: e38915 doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0038915.
10. PanA, LucasM, SunQ, DamRMv, FrancoOH, et al. (2010) Bidirectional association between depression and type 2 diabetes mellitus in women. Arch Intern Med 170: 1884–1891.
11. PrinceM, PatelV, SaxenaS, MajM, PhillipsMR, et al. (2007) No health without mental health. Lancet 370: 859–877.
12. WangPS, Aguilar-GaxiolaS, AlonsoJ, AngermeyerMC, BorgesG, et al. (2007) Use of mental health services for anxiety, mood, and substance disorders in 17 countries in the WHO world mental health surveys. Lancet 370: 841–850.
13. Bloom DE, Cafiero ET, Jane-Llopis E, Abrahams-Gessel S, Bloom LR, et al.. (2011) The Global Economic Burden of Noncommunicable Diseases. Geneva: World Economic Forum.
14. Naylor C, Parsonage M, McDaid D, Knapp M, Fossey M, et al.. (2012) Long-term Conditions and Mental Health: The Cost of Co-morbidities. London: The King's Fund and Centre for Mental Health.
15. WHO (2011) Mental Health Atlas 2011. Geneva: WHO.
16. CollinsPY, PatelV, JoestlSS, MarchD, InselTR, et al. (2011) Grand challenges in global mental health. Nature 475: 27–30.
17. RahmanA, SurkanPJ, CayetanoCE, RwagatareP, DicksonKE (2013) Grand challenges: Integrating maternal mental health into maternal and child health programmes. PLoS Med 10: e1001442 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001442.
18. NgoVK, RubinsteinA, GanjuV, KanellisP, LozaN, et al. (2013) Grand challenges: Integrating mental health care into the non-communicable disease agenda. PLoS Med 10: e1001443 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001443.
19. KaayaS, EustacheE, Lapidos-SalaizI, MusisiS, PsarosC, et al. (2013) Grand challenges: Improving HIV treatment outcomes by integrating interventions for co-morbid mental illness. PLoS Med 10: e1001447 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001447.
20. PatelV, BelkinGS, ChockalingamA, CooperJ, SaxenaS, et al. (2013) Integrating mental health services into priority health care programs: Addressing a grand challenge in global mental health. PLoS Med 10: e1001448 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001448.
21. KodnerDL, SpreeuwenbergC (2002) Integrated care: meaning, logic, applications, and implications–a discussion paper. Int J Integr Care 2: e12.
22. WHO (2007) Everybody's Business: Strengthening Health Systems to Improve Health Outcomes: WHO's Framework for Action. Geneva: World Health Organization.
23. WHO (2009) Improving Health Systems and Services for Mental Health. Geneva: World Health Organization.
24. Patel V, Lund C, Hatherill S, Plagerson S, Corrigall J, et al.. (2010) Mental disorders: equity and social determinants. In: Blas E, Kurup AS, editors. Equity, Social Determinants and Public Health Programmes. Geneva: WHO. pp. 115–134.
25. Collins PY (2008) Waving the banner of mental health revolution: Psychiatric reform and community mental health in the Province of Rio Negro, Argentina. In: Caldas JM, Cohen A, editors. Innovative Community Mental Health Services in Latin America and the Caribbean. Washington, DC: PAHO. pp. 1–32.
26. RajaS, UnderhillC, ShresthaP, SunderU, MannarathS, et al. (2012) Integrating mental health and development: A case study of the BasicNeeds Model in Nepal. PLoS Med 9: e1001261 doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001261.
27. CohenA, EatonJ, RadtkeB, GeorgeC, Manuel BroV, et al. (2011) Three models of community mental health services in low-income countries. Int J Ment Health Syst 5: 3 Available: http://www.ijmhs.com/content/5/1/3. Accessed 16 November 2012.
28. ArayaR, RojasG, FritschR, GaeteJ, RojasM, et al. (2003) Treating depression in primary care in low-income women in Santiago, Chile: a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 361: 995–1000.
29. BoltonP, BassJ, NeugebauerR, VerdeliH, CloughertyKF, et al. (2003) Group interpersonal psychotherapy for depression in rural Uganda: a randomized controlled trial. J Amer Med Assoc 289: 3117–3124.
30. PatelV, WeissHA, ChowdharyN, NaikS, PednekarS, et al. (2010) Effectiveness of an intervention led by lay health counsellors for depressive and anxiety disorders in primary care in Goa, India (MANAS): a cluster randomised controlled trial. Lancet 376: 2086–2095.
31. RahmanA, MalikA, SikanderS, RobertsC, CreedF (2008) Cognitive behaviour therapy-based intervention by community health workers for mothers with depression and their infants in rural Pakistan: a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Lancet 372: 902–909.
32. DuaT, BarbuiC, ClarkN, FleischmannA, PoznyakV, et al. (2011) Evidence-based guidelines for mental, neurological, and substance use disorders in low- and middle-income countries: summary of WHO recommendations. PLoS Med 8: e1001122 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001122.
33. PatelV, ThornicroftG (2009) Packages of care for mental, neurological, and substance use disorders in low- and middle-income countries. PLoS Med 6: e1000160 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1000160.
34. RaviolaG, EustacheE, OswaldC, BelkinGS (2012) Mental health response in Haiti in the aftermath of the 2010 earthquake: a case study for building long-term solutions. Harvard Rev Psychiatry 20: 68–77.
35. VentevogelP, van de PutW, FaizH, van MierloB, SiddiqiM, et al. (2012) Improving access to mental health care and psychosocial support within a fragile context: a case study from Afghanistan. PLoS Med 9: e1001225 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001225.
36. Ben-ShlomoY, KuhD (2002) A life course approach to chronic disease epidemiology: conceptual models, empirical challenges and interdisciplinary perspectives. Int J Epidemiol 31: 285–293.
37. BaleTL, BaramTZ, BrownAS, GoldsteinJM, InselTR (2010) Early life programming and neurodevelopmental disorders. Biol Psychiatry 68: 314–319.
38. SurkanPJ, KennedyCE, HurleyKM, BlackMM (2011) Maternal depression and early childhood growth in developing countries: systematic review and meta-analysis. Bull World Health Organ 287: 607D–615D.
39. BarkerDJP, OsmondC, KajantieE, ErikssonJG (2009) Growth and chronic disease: findings in the Helsinki Birth Cohort. Ann Hum Biol 36: 445–458.
40. ByersAL, VittinghoffE, LuiLY, HoangT, BlazerDG, et al. (2012) Twenty-year depressive trajectories among older women. Arch Gen Psychiatry 69: 1073–1079.
41. BarnesDE, YaffeK, ByersAL, McCormickM, SchaeferC, et al. (2012) Midlife vs late-life depressive symptoms and risk of dementia: differential effects for Alzheimer disease and vascular dementia. Arch Gen Psychiatry 69: 493–498.
42. GrepinKA, ReichMR (2008) Conceptualizing integration: A framework for analysis applied to neglected tropical disase control partnerships. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 2: e174 doi:10.1371/journal.pntd.0000174.
43. De CockKM, El-SadrWM, GhebreyesusTA (2011) Game changers: Why did the scale-up of HIV treatment work despite weak health systems? J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 57: S61–S63.
44. UNESCO (2010) UNESCO Science Report 2010. Paris: UNESCO.
45. RazzoukD, SharanP, GalloC, GurejeO, LamberteE, et al. (2010) Scarcity and inequity of mental health research resources in low-and-middle income countries: a global survey. Health Policy 94: 211–220.
46. KielingC, Baker-HenninghamH, BelferM, ContiG, ErtemI, et al. (2011) Child and adolescent mental health worldwide: evidence for action. Lancet 378: 1515–1525.
47. National Institutes of Health (2011) RFA-MH-12-110: Collaborative Hubs for International Research on Mental Health (U19). Available: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-MH-12-110.html. Accessed 16 November 2012.
48. National Institutes of Health (2010) RFA-MH-11-070: Collaborative Hubs for International Research on Mental Health. Available: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-MH-11-070.html. Accessed 16 November 2012.
49. National Institutes of Health (2012) RFA-MH-13-040: Grand Challenges in Global Mental Health: Integrating Mental Health into Chronic Disease Care Provision in Low- and MIddle-Income Countries (R01). Available: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-MH-13-040.html. Accessed 16 November 2012.
50. Grand Challenges Canada (2012) Global Mental Health Grantee Announcement. Available: http://www.grandchallenges.ca/globalmentalhealth-grantees-en/. Accessed 3 January 2013.
51. LundC, TomlinsonM, De SilvaM, FekaduA, ShidhayeR, et al. (2012) PRIME: A programme to reduce the treatment gap for mental disorders in five low- and middle-income countries. PLoS Med 9: e1001359 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001359.
52. United Nations (2012) The Millennium Development Goals Report 2012. New York: United Nations.
53. USAID (2012) USAID and Global Community Make Huge Strides Toward 2015 MDG Deadlines.
54. LundC, SilvaMd, PlagersonS, CooperS, ChisholmD, et al. (2011) Poverty and mental disorders: breaking the cycle in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 378: 1502–1514.
55. BelkinGS, UnutzerJ, KesslerRC, VerdeliH, RaviolaGJ, et al. (2011) Scaling up for the “Bottom Billion”: “5×5” implementation of community mental health care in low-income regions. Psychiatr Serv 62: 1494–1502.