1. Eardley I, Sethia K. Erectile dysfunction. Current Investigation and Management. Mosby 2003: 1.
2. Johannes CJ, Araujo AB, Feldman HA et al. Incidence of erectile dysfunction in men 40-69 years old: longitudinal results from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. J Urol 2000; 163: 460-463.
3. Latini DM, Penson DF, Lubeck DP et al. Longitudinal differences in disease specific quality of life in men with erectile dysfunction: results from the Exploratory Comprehensive Evaluation of Erectile Dysfunction study. J Urol 2003; 169: 1437-1442.
4. Feldman HA, Johannes CB, Derby CA et al. Erectile dysfunction and coronary risk factors: prospective results from the Massachusetts Male Aging Study. Prev Med 2000; 30: 328-338.
5. Montorsi F, Briganti A, Salonia A et al. Erectile dysfunction prevalence, time of onset and association with risk factors in 300 consecutive patients with acute chest pain and angiographically documented coronary artery disease. Eur Urol 2003; 44: 360-365.
6. Sullivan ME, Keoghane SR, Miller MAW. Vascular risk factors and erectile dysfunction. BJU Int 2001; 87: 838-845.
7. Azadzoi KM, Saenz de Tejada I. Erectile dysfunction due to atherosclerotic vascular disease: the development of an animal model. J Urol 1992; 147: 1675-1681.
8. Garban H, Vernet D, Freedman A et al. Effect of aging on nitric oxide mediated penile erection in the rat. Am J Physiol 1995; 268: 467-475.
9. Haas CA, Seftel AD, Razmjouei K et al. Erectile dysfunction in aging: upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Urology 1998; 51: 516-522.
10. Champion HC, Bivalacqua TJ, Hyman AL et al. Gene transfer of endothelial nitric oxide synthase to the rat penis augments erectile responses in the aged rat. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 1999; 96: 11648-11652.
11. Nabel EG, Selwyn AP, Ganz P. Large coronary arteries in humans are responsive to changing blood flow: an endothelin dependent mechanism that fails in patients with atherosclerosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1990; 16: 349-356.
12. Ferri C, Carlomagno A, Coassin S et al. Circulating endothelin-1 levels increase during euglycaemic hyperinsulinaemic clamp in lean NIDDM men. Diabetes Care 1995; 18: 226-233.
13. Ferri C, Desideri G, Valenti M et al. Early upregulation of endothelial adhesion molecules in obese hypertensive men. Hypertension 1999; 34: 568-573.
14. Bocchio M, Desideri G, Scarpelli P et al. Endothelial cell activation in men with erectile dysfunction without cardiovascular risk factors and overt vascular damage. J Urol 2004; 171: 1601-1604.
15. Azadzoi K, Saenz de Tejada I. Hypercholesterolaemia impairs endotheliumdependent relaxation of rabbit corpus cavernosum smooth muscle. J Urol 1991; 146: 238-240.
16. Kim JH, Klyachkin ML, Svendsen E et al. Experimental hypercholesterolaemia in rabbits induces cavernosal atherosclerosis with endothelial and smooth cell dysfunction. J Urol 1994; 151: 198-205.
17. Junemann K, Aufenanger J, Konrad T et al. The effect of impaired lipid metabolism on the smooth muscle cells of rabbits. Urol Res 1991; 19: 271-275.
18. Wei M, Macera C, Davis D et al. Total cholesterol and high density lipoprotein cholesterol as important predictors of erectile dysfunction. Am J Epidemiol 1994; 140: 930-937.
19. MAAS investigators. Effect of simvastatin on coronary atheroma: the Multicentre Anti-Atheroma Study [MAAS]. Lancet 1994; 344: 633-638.
20. Roumeguere T, Wespes E, Carpentier Y et al. Erectile dysfunction is associated with a high prevalence of hyperlipidaemia and coronary heart disease risk. Eur Urol 2003; 44: 355-359.
21. Feldman HA, Goldstein I, Hatzichristou DG et al. Impotence and its medical and psychosocial correlates: results of the Massachusetts Male Aging study. J Urol 1994; 151: 54-61.
22. Mannino D, Klevens RM, Flanders WD. Cigarette smoking: an independent risk factor for impotence. Am J Epidemiol 1994; 140: 1003-1008.
23. Xie Y, Garban H, Ng C et al. Effect of long-term passive smoking on erectile function and penile nitric oxide synthase in the rat. J Urol 1997; 157: 1121-1126.
24. Condra M, Morales A, Owens JA et al. Prevalence and significance of tobacco smoking in impotence. Urology 1986; 27: 495-498.
25. American Heart Association website - www.amhrt. org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3022999
26. Rosen MP, Greenfield AJ, Walker TG et al. Cigarette smoking: an independent risk factor for atherosclerosis in the hypogastric-cavernous arterial bed of men with arteriogenic impotence. J Urol 1991; 145: 759-763.
27. Junemann K. The effects of cigarette smoking on penile erection. J Urol 1987; 138: 438-441.
28. Taylor P. Ganglionic stimulating and blocking agents. In: Goodman, Rallard, and Murad, editors. Goodman and Gilman's Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. New York, NY: McMillan 1985: 217-218.
29. Lin SJ, Hong CY, Chang MS et al. Long-term nicotine exposure increases endothelial cell death and enhances transendothelial macromolecular transport in rats. Arterioscler Thromb 1992; 12: 1305-1312.
30. Roberts KA, Rezai AA, Pinkerton KE et al. Effect of environmental tobacco smoke on LDL accumulation in the artery wall. Circulation 1996; 94: 2248-2253.
31. Callum C. The smoking epidemic 1995. London Health Education Authority 1998.
32. Virag R, Bouilly P, Frydman D. Is impotence an arterial disorder? A study of arterial risk in 440 impotent men. Lancet 1985; 1: 181-184.
33. Pourmand G, Alidaee MR, Rasuli S et al. Do cigarette smokers with erectile dysfunction benefit from stopping? A prospective study. BJU Int 2004; 94: 1310-1313.
34. Burchardt M, Burchardt T, Baer L et al. Hypertension is associated with severe erectile dysfunction. J Urol 2000; 164: 1188-1191.
35. Toblli JE, Stella I, Inserra F et al. Morphological changes in cavernous tissue in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Am J Hypertens 2000; 13: 686-692.
36. Bortolotti A, Parazzini F, Colli E et al. The epidemiology of erectile dysfunction and its risk factors. Int J Androl 1997; 20: 323-334.
37. Melman A, Gingell JC. The epidemiology and pathophysiology of erectile dysfunction. J Urol 1999; 161: 5-11.
38. De Beradis G, Franciosi M, Belfiglio M et al.; the Quality of Care and Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes [QuED] Study Group. Erectile dysfunction and quality of life in type-2 diabetic patients. Diabetes Care 2002; 25: 284-291.
39. Bacon CG, Giovannucci E, Glasser DB et al. Association of type and duration of diabetes with erectile dysfunction in a large cohort of men. Diabetes Care 2002; 25: 1458-1463.
40. Tattersall R. Sexual problems of diabetic men. BMJ 1982; 285: 911-912.
41. Takahashi K, Ghatei MA, Lam HC et al. Elevated plasma endothelin in patients with diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 1990; 33: 306-310.
42. Sullivan ME, Dashwood MR, Thompson CS et al. Alterations in endothelin B receptor sites in cavernosal tissue of diabetic rabbits: potential relevance to the pathogenesis of erectile dysfunction. J Urol 1997; 158: 1966-1972.
43. Sullivan ME, Miller MA, Bell RC et al. Fibrinogen, lipoprotein (a) and lipids in patients with erectile dysfunction. A preliminary study. Int Angiol 2001; 20: 195-199.
44. Steffens S, Mach F. Inflammation and atherosclerosis. Herz 2004; 29: 741-748.