1. Scannell JW, Blanckley A, Boldon H, Warrington B (2012) Diagnosing the decline in pharmaceutical R&D efficiency. Nat Rev Drug Discov 11: 191–200. doi: 10.1038/nrd3681 22378269
2. Moon S, Bermudez J, 't Hoen E (2012) Innovation and access to medicines for neglected populations: could a treaty address a broken pharmaceutical R&D system? PLoS Med 9(5): e1001218. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001218 22615544
3. Dentico N, Ford N (2005) The courage to change the rules: a proposal for an essential health R&D treaty. PLoS Med 2(2): e14. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.0020014 15736991
4. Incentivising research and development for the diseases of poverty (2005) Working paper of the WHO Commission on Intellectual Property Rights, Innovation and Public Health (CIPIH). http://www.who.int/intellectualproperty/submissions/IncentivisingRD.pdf. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
5. Goldman M, Compton C, Mittleman BB (2013) Public-private partnerships as driving forces in the quest for innovative medicines. Clin Transl Med 2:2. doi: 10.1186/2001-1326-2-2 23369569
6. Reddy D, Spigelman M (2014) Product Development Partnerships: an innovative approach to tacking neglected diseases. Development Policy Centre. http://devpolicy.org/product-development-partnerships-an-innovative-approach-to-tackling-neglected-diseases-20140528/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
7. Lives on the Edge (2016) Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Access Campaign. https://www.msfaccess.org/sites/default/files/R&D_report_LivesOnTheEdge_Updated29Sept_ENG_2016.pdf. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
8. Maurer SM, Rai A, Sali A (2004) Finding Cures for Tropical Diseases: Is Open Source an Answer? PLoS Med 1(3): e56. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.0010056 15630466
9. Nilsson N, Felding J (2015) Open innovation platforms to boost pharmaceutical collaborations: evaluating external compounds for desired biological activity. Future Med Chem 7:1853–1859. doi: 10.4155/fmc.15.122 26393392
10. Årdal C, Alstadsæter A, Røttingen JA (2011) Common characteristics of open source software development and applicability for drug discovery: a systematic review. Health Res Policy Syst 9:36. doi: 10.1186/1478-4505-9-36 21955914
11. Open Source Pharma. http://www.opensourcepharma.net/. Accessed March 31st 2016
12. Bhardwaj A, Scaria V, Raghava GPS, Lynn AM, Chandra N, Banerjee S, et al. (2011) Open source drug discovery—a new paradigm of collaborative research in tuberculosis drug development. Tuberculosis 91: 479–486. doi: 10.1016/j.tube.2011.06.004 21782516
13. Van Voorhis WC, Adams JH, Adelfio R, Ahyong V, Akabas MH, Alano P, et al. (2016) Open source drug discovery with the Malaria Box Compound Collection for neglected diseases and beyond. PLoS Pathog 12(7): e1005763. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1005763 27467575
14. Arrowsmith CH, Audia JE, Austin C, Baell J, Bennett J, Blagg J, et al. (2015) The promise and peril of chemical probes. Nat Chem Biol 11: 536–541. doi: 10.1038/nchembio.1867 26196764
15. The National Cancer Institute Development Therapeutics Program (DTP). https://dtp.cancer.gov/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
16. The Community for Open Antimicrobial Drug Discovery, http://www.co-add.org/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
17. EU-OPENSCREEN. http://www.eu-openscreen.eu/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017
18. Lee WH (2015) Open access target validation is a more efficient way to accelerate drug discovery. PLoS Biol 13(6): e1002164. doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1002164 26042736
19. Williamson AE, Ylioja PM, Robertson MN, Antonova-Koch Y, Avery V, Baell JB, et al. (2016) Open Source Drug Discovery: Highly Potent Antimalarial Compounds Derived from the Tres Cantos Arylpyrroles. ACS Cent Sci 2: 687–701. doi: 10.1021/acscentsci.6b00086 27800551
20. Roberts DA, Hann IH, Slaughter SA (2006) Understanding the motivations, participation and performance of open source software developers: a longitudinal study of the Apache projects. Manage Sci 52: 984–999.
21. Sablinski T (2014) Opening up clinical study design to the long tail. Sci Transl Med 6: 256ed19. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3009116 25273093
22. The AllTrials Campaign. http://www.alltrials.net/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017
23. Moorthy VS, Roth C, Olliaro P, Dye C, Kieny MP (2016) Best practices for sharing information through data platforms: establishing the principles. Bull World Health Organ 94:234–234A. doi: 10.2471/BLT.16.172882 27034512
24. TB-platform for Aggregation of Clinical TB Studies (TB-PACTS), Critical Path Initiative. http://www.cptrinitiative.org/tag/tb-pacts/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
25. Worldwide Antimalarial Resistance Network. http://www.wwarn.org/about-us. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
26. Infectious Diseases Data Observatory. https://www.iddo.org/data-sharing. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
27. Clinical Study DataRequest.com. https://clinicalstudydatarequest.com/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
28. Kincaid E (2016) A second look: Efforts to repurpose old drugs against Zika cast a wide net. Nat Med 22(8): 824–825. doi: 10.1038/nm0816-824 27490430
29. Torreele E, Bourdin Trunz B, Tweats D, Kaiser M, Brun R, Mazué G, et al. (2010) Fexinidazole—a new oral nitroimidazole drug candidate entering clinical development for the treatment of sleeping sickness. PLoS Negl Trop Dis 4(12):e923. doi: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0000923 21200426
30. Wyllie S, Patterson S, Stojanovski L, Simeons FR, Norval S, Kime R, et al. (2012) The anti-trypanosome drug fexinidazole shows potential for treating visceral leishmaniasis. Sci Transl Med 4:119re1. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3003326 22301556
31. Chalmers I, Glasziou P (2009) Avoidable waste in the production and reporting of research evidence. Lancet 374: 4–10.
32. Chalmers I, Glasziou (2016) Is 85% of health research really “wasted”? Newsletter of the International Society for Evidence-based Heath Care, 22:3–5, available at http://www.isehc.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/22nd-Edition1.pdf. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
33. Gøtzsche PC (2011) Why we need easy access to all data from all clinical trials and how to accomplish it. Trials 12:249. doi: 10.1186/1745-6215-12-249 22112900
34. Malaria treatment rectal artesunate to be developed in India, World Health Organization 2014. http://www.who.int/tdr/news/2014/malaria-treatment/en/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
35. Carroll MW (2013) Creative commons and the openness of open access. N Engl J Med 368: 789–791. doi: 10.1056/NEJMp1300040 23445090
36. Dragojlovic N, Lynd LD (2014) Crowdfunding drug development: the state of play in oncology and rare diseases. Drug Discov Today 19:1775–1780. doi: 10.1016/j.drudis.2014.06.019 24973645
37. The Longitude Prize. https://longitudeprize.org/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
38. Bompart F, Kiechel JR, Sebbag R, Pécoul B (2011) Innovative public–private partnerships to maximize the delivery of anti-malarial medicines: lessons learned from the ASAQ Winthrop experience. Malar J 10: 143. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-10-143 21605364
39. National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS). https://ncats.nih.gov/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017.
40. London Declaration, Uniting to Combat Neglected Tropical Diseases (2012). http://unitingtocombatntds.org/london-declaration. Accessed Feb 16th 2017
41. Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases (TDR) (2016). Health Product Research and Development Fund: a Proposal for Financing and Operation. http://www.who.int/tdr/publications/r_d_report/en/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017
42. Atun R, Knaul FM, Akachi Y, Frenk J (2012) Innovative financing for health: what is truly innovative? Lancet 380: 8–14.
43. Biden J (2016) Inspiring a New Generation to Defy the Bounds of Innovation: A Moonshot to Cure Cancer, Medium. https://medium.com/@VPOTUS/inspiring-a-new-generation-to-defy-the-bounds-of-innovation-a-moonshot-to-cure-cancer-fbdf71d01c2e#.co6nn3z7q. Accessed Feb 16th 2017
44. Payne DJ, Miller LF, Findlay D, Anderson J, Marks L (2015) Time for a change: addressing R&D and commercialization challenges for antibacterials. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 370: 1670.
45. Lo AW, Ho C, Cummings J, Kosik KS (2014) Parallel discovery of Alzheimer’s therapeutics. Sci Transl Med 6: 241cm5. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3008228 24944190
46. Alzheimer's Association (2015) 2015 Alzheimer’s Disease Facts and Figures. Alzheimers Dement 11: 332–384. 25984581
47. von Krogh G, Spaeth S, Lakhani KR (2003) Community, joining and specialization in open source software innovation: a case study. Res Policy 32: 1217–1241.
48. The United Nations Secretary-General’s High-Level Panel on Access to Medicines, Final Report. http://www.unsgaccessmeds.org/final-report/. Accessed Feb 16th 2017