1. Independent Monitoring Board of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (2013) Seventh Report. London.
2. AhmadK (2007) Pakistan struggles to eradicate polio. Lancet Infect Dis 7: 247 doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(07)70066-X
3. MushtaqMU, MajroohMA, UllahMZS, AkramJ, SiddiquiAM, et al. (2010) Are we doing enough? Evaluation of the Polio Eradication Initiative in a district of Pakistan's Punjab province: a LQAS study. BMC Public Health 10: 60 doi:10.1186/1471-2458-10-60
4. NishtarS (2010) Pakistan, politics and polio. Bull World Health Organ 88: 159–160 doi:10.1590/S0042-96862010000200018
5. HasanQ, BosanAH, BileKM (2010) A review of EPI progress in Pakistan towards achieving coverage targets: present situation and the way forward. East Mediterr Heal J Rev Santé Méditerranée Orient Al-Majallah Al-S˙ih˙h˙i¯yah Li-Sharq Al-MutawassiS˙t˙ 16 Suppl: S31–38.
6. IED blast injures lady health worker (2013). Express Trib. Available: http://tribune.com.pk/story/516158/ied-blast-injures-lady-health-worker/. Accessed 22 March 2013.
7. Khan S (2013) Polio workers come under fresh attack in Pakistan. CNN. Available: http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/26/world/asia/pakistan-polio-workers-attack/index.html. Accessed 22 March 2013.
8. Polio vaccination workers shot dead in Pakistan (2012). The Guardian. Available: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/18/polio-vaccination-workers-shot-pakistan. Accessed 15 March 2013.
9. Gunmen kill police officer protecting polio workers in Pakistan (2013). The Guardian. Available: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/29/pakistan-polio-vaccines-gunmen-shooting. Accessed 22 March 2013.
10. Walsh D, Khan I (2013) 2 Pakistani Polio Workers Killed in Blast. New York. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/world/asia/two-more-pakistani-polio-workers-killed.html. Accessed 25 March 2013.
11. Polio Eradication Initiative Pakistan (2013) Background Document for the Independent Monitoring Board. Available: http://www.polioeradication.org/Portals/0/Document/Aboutus/Governance/IMB/8IMBMeeting/5.2_8IMB.pdf. Accessed 27 June 2013.
12. Khan I (2013) 2 Polio Workers Killed in Pakistan. New York. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/world/middleeast/2-polio-workers-killed-in-pakistan.html. Accessed 29 June 2013.
13. Tank Killing: Lady Health Worker Shot Dead (2013). Express Trib. Available: http://tribune.com.pk/story/572624/tank-killing-lady-health-worker-shot-dead/. Accessed 5 July 2013.
14. McNeil D (2012) C.I.A. Vaccine Ruse in Pakistan May Have Harmed Polio Fight. New York. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/health/cia-vaccine-ruse-in-pakistan-may-have-harmed-polio-fight.html. Accessed 28 June 2013.
15. Ud DinI, MumtazZ, AtaullahjanA (2012) How the Taliban undermined community healthcare in Swat, Pakistan. BMJ 344: e2093 doi:10.1136/bmj.e2093
16. Niles C (2012) United Nations Secretary-General hosts high-level polio meeting. UNICEF. Available: http://www.unicef.org/health/index_65979.html. Accessed 26 June 2013.
17. Spotlight on: Pakistan (2012). Polio News. Available: http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=1519be1cd815ed6195660c2c8&id=2b312fa956&e=#Spotlight. Accessed 26 June 2013.
18. Aseefa decorated for fight against polio (2013). The News. Available: http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-2-182550-Aseefa-decorated-for-fight-against-polio. Accessed 26 June 2013.
19. McNeil D (2011) Gates Calls for a Final Push to Eradicate Polio. New York. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/health/01polio.html. Accessed 29 June 2013.
20. Governments of Nigeria, Pakistan, and Afghanistan (2012) Global Polio Emergency Action Plan 2012–13. Geneva: WHO.
21. Zardari seeks people's help to eradicate polio (2010). News Int Pak. Available: http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-6-14443-Zardari-seeks-peoples-help-to-eradicate-polio. Accessed 30 July 2013.
22. Government of Islamic Republic of Pakistan (2013) National Emergency Action Plan 2013 For Polio Eradication. Islamabad: GoP.
23. RobertsL (2012) Fighting Polio in Pakistan. Science 337: 517–521 doi:10.1126/science.337.6094.517
24. Wilkinson I, Yusufzai A (2009) Taliban blocks UN polio treatment in Pakistan. The Telegraph. Available: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/5057026/Taliban-blocks-UN-polio-treatment-in-Pakistan.html. Accessed 30 July 2013.
25. Nizza M (2008) Pakistan's Polio Problem Continues. The Lede. Available: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/28/pakistans-polio-problem-continues/. Accessed 30 July 2013.
26. KingmanS (2001) For Afghan polio eradication the show goes on. Bull World Health Organ 79: 1088.
27. Trofimov Y (2010) Risky Ally in War on Polio: the Taliban. Wall Str J. Available: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126298998237022117.html. Accessed 29 June 2013.
28. Oxford Policy Management (2009) Lady Health Worker Programme: Third party Evaluation of Performance. Available: http://www.opml.co.uk/projects/lady-health-worker-programme-third-party-evaluation-performance.
29. HafeezA, MohamudBK, ShiekhMR, ShahSAI, JoomaR (2011) Lady health workers programme in Pakistan: challenges, achievements and the way forward. J Pak Med Assoc 61: 210–215.
30. Donaldson L (2013) Open Letter to Margaret Chan. Independent Monitoring Board of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative. Available: http://www.polioeradication.org/Aboutus/Governance/IndependentMonitoringBoard/Reports.aspx. Accessed 17 February 2013.
31. Wasif S (2012) Polio campaign: Distressed with security and monetary concerns, LHWs camp outside PM Secretariat. Express Trib. Available: http://tribune.com.pk/story/483148/polio-campaign-distressed-with-security-and-monetary-concerns-lhws-camp-outside-pm-secretariat/. Accessed 11 February 2013.
32. Lady health workers in a fix about threats (2013). Dawn. Available: http://dawn.com/2013/01/08/lady-health-workers-in-a-fix-about-threats/. Accessed 8 February 2013.
33. Walsh D, McNeil DG (2012) Female Vaccination Workers, Essential in Pakistan, Become Prey. New York. Available: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/world/asia/un-halts-vaccine-work-in-pakistan-after-more-killings.html. Accessed 5 February 2013.
34. Khazan O (2012) Where it's most dangerous to be an aid worker. WorldViews. Available: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/26/heres-where-its-most-dangerous-to-be-an-aid-worker/. Accessed 5 February 2013.
35. Chatterjee S (2012) As Deaths Mount In Pakistan, Ending Polio Becomes An Act Of Courage. Forbes. Available: http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2012/12/27/as-deaths-mount-in-pakistan-ending-polio-becomes-an-act-of-courage/. Accessed 25 March 2013.
36. Closser S (2011) Experiences and Motivations of Polio Eradication's Front-Line Workers in Pakistan. UNICEF. Available: http://www.comminit.com/polio/content/experiences-and-motivations-polio-eradications-front-line-workers-pakistan.
37. Khan A (2008) Women's Empowerment and the Lady Health Worker Programme in Pakistan. Karachi: Collective for Social Science Research.
38. KhanA (2011) Lady Health Workers and Social Change in Pakistan. Econ Polit Wkly 46: 28–31.
39. Polio Global Eradication Initiative (2012) Financial Resource Requirements 2012–2013 (as of 1 May 2012). Geneva. Available: http://www.polioeradication.org/Portals/0/Document/FRR/FRR_ENG.pdf.
40. LoevinsohnB, HongR, GauriV (2006) Will more inputs improve the delivery of health services? Analysis of district vaccination coverage in Pakistan. Int J Health Plann Manage 21: 45–54.
41. HaqZ, IqbalZ, RahmanA (2008) Job stress among community health workers: a multi-method study from Pakistan. Int J Ment Health Syst 2: 15 doi:10.1186/1752-4458-2-15
42. AfsarHA, YounusM (2005) Recommendations to Strengthen the Role of Lady Health Workers in the National Program for Family Planning and Primary Health Care in Pakistan: The Health Workers Perspective. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 17 Available: http://www.ayubmed.edu.pk/JAMC/PAST/17-1/HabibYounus.htm.
43. MumtazZ, SalwayS, WaseemM, UmerN (2003) Gender-based barriers to primary health care provision in Pakistan: the experience of female providers. Health Policy Plan 18: 261–269 doi:10.1093/heapol/czg032
44. Closser S (2010) Chasing Polio in Pakistan: Why the World's Largest Public Health Initiative May Fail. Vanderbilt University Press. 256 p.
45. Fields R, Kanagat N, LaFond A (2012) Notes from the Field #3: Bringing Immunization Closer to Communities: Community-Centered Health Workers. Arlington, VA: JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc., ARISE Project for the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
46. RymanTK, DietzV, CairnsKL (2008) Too little but not too late: Results of a literature review to improve routine immunization programs in developing countries. BMC Health Serv Res 8: 134 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-8-134
47. PatelAR, NowalkMP (2010) Expanding immunization coverage in rural India: A review of evidence for the role of community health workers. Vaccine 28: 604–613 doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2009.10.108
48. HainesA, SandersD, LehmannU, RoweAK, LawnJE, et al. (2007) Achieving child survival goals: potential contribution of community health workers. Lancet 369: 2121–2131 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)60325-0
49. Junaidi I (2013) 100,000 lady health workers get their service regularised. Dawn. Available: http://dawn.com/2013/01/21/100000-lady-health-workers-get-their-service-regularised/. Accessed 11 February 2013.
50. BileKM, HafeezA, JoomaR, KhanZ, SheikhM (2010) Pakistan human resources for health assessment, 2009/Evaluation des ressources humaines pour la sante au Pakistan en 2009. East Mediterr Health J 16: S145+.
51. Global Health Workforce Alliance, World Health Organization, GIZ (2011) Pakistan: WHO Global Code of Practice on International Recruitment of Health Personnel - Implementation Strategy Report. Available: http://www.who.int/workforcealliance/knowledge/resources/PAK_ImmigrationReport.pdf.
52. World Health Organization (2013) Global Health Atlas. Available: http://apps.who.int/globalatlas/.
53. Global Health Workforce Alliance (2011) Progress report on the Kampala Declaration and Agenda for Global Action. Global Health Workforce Alliance Available: http://www.who.int/workforcealliance/knowledge/resources/kdagaprogressreport/en/.
54. WitmerA, SeiferSD, FinocchioL, LeslieJ, O'NeilEH (1995) Community health workers: integral members of the health care work force. Am J Public Health 85: 1055–1058.
55. Willis-ShattuckM, BidwellP, ThomasS, WynessL, BlaauwD, et al. (2008) Motivation and retention of health workers in developing countries: a systematic review. BMC Health Serv Res 8: 247 doi:10.1186/1472-6963-8-247
56. ManongiRN, MarchantTC, BygbjergIC (2006) Improving motivation among primary health care workers in Tanzania: a health worker perspective. Hum Resour Heal 4: 6 doi:10.1186/1478-4491-4-6