1. Anon. (2013) Global update on HIV treatment 2013: results, impact and opportunities. WHO report, in partnership with UNICEF and UNAIDS. Geneva: WHO.
2. MorganD, MaudeGH, MalambaSS, OkongoMJ, WagnerHU, et al. (1997) HIV-1 disease progression and AIDS-defining disorders in rural Uganda. Lancet 350: 245–250.
3. MillsEJ, BakandaC, BirungiJ, ChanK, FordN, et al. (2011) Life expectancy of persons receiving combination antiretroviral therapy in low-income countries: a cohort analysis from Uganda. Ann Intern Med 155: 209–216.
4. JohnsonLF, MossongJ, DorringtonRE, SchomakerM, HoffmannCJ, et al. (2013) International Epidemiologic Databases to Evaluate AIDS Southern Africa Collaboration (2013) Life expectancies of South African adults starting antiretroviral treatment: collaborative analysis of cohort studies. PLoS Med 10: e1001418 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001418
5. BunnellR, EkwaruJP, SolbergP, WamaiN, Bikaako-KajuraW, et al. (2006) Changes in sexual behavior and risk of HIV transmission after antiretroviral therapy and prevention interventions in rural Uganda. AIDS 20: 85–92.
6. DonnellD, BaetenJM, KiarieJ, ThomasKK, StevensW, et al. (2010) Heterosexual HIV-1 transmission after initiation of antiretroviral therapy: a prospective cohort analysis. Lancet 375: 2092–2098.
7. CohenMS, ChenYQ, McCauleyM, GambleT, HosseinipourMC, et al. (2011) Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. New Engl J Med 365: 493–505.
8. TanserF, BärnighausenT, GrapsaE, ZaidiJ, NewellML (2013) High coverage of ART associated with decline in risk of HIV acquisition in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Science 339: 966–971.
9. AndersonRM, GuptaS, MayRM (1991) Potential of community-wide chemotherapy or immunotherapy to control the spread of HIV-1. Nature 350: 356–359.
10. GranichRM, GilksCF, DyeC, De CockKM, WilliamsBG (2009) Universal voluntary HIV testing with immediate antiretroviral therapy as a strategy for elimination of HIV transmission: a mathematical model. Lancet 373: 48–57.
11. EatonJW, JohnsonLF, SalomonJA, BärnighausenT, BendavidE, et al. (2012) HIV treatment as prevention: systematic comparison of mathematical models of the potential impact of antiretroviral therapy on HIV incidence in South Africa. PLoS Med 9: e1001245 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001245
12. HontelezJAC, LurieMN, BärnighausenT, BakkerR, BaltussenR, et al. (2013) Elimination of HIV in South Africa through expanded access to antiretroviral therapy: a model comparison study. PLoS Med 10 ((10)) e1001534 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001534
13. SchwartlanderB, StoverJ, HallettT, AtunR, AvilaC, et al. (2011) Towards an improved investment approach for an effective response to HIV/AIDS. Lancet 377: 2031–2041.
14. ZachariahR, HarriesAD, PhilipsM, ArnouldL, SabapathyK, et al. (2010) Antiretroviral therapy for HIV prevention: many concerns and challenges, but are there ways forward in sub-Saharan Africa? Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 104: 387–391.
15. Anon. (2013) 218 Consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection. Geneva: WHO.
16. Anon (2013) Modelling for the WHO 2013 Guidelines for use of antiretrovirals. Available: http://www.hivmodelling.org/projects/modelling-who-2013-guidelines-use-antiretrovirals. Accessed 19 September 2013.
17. RosenS, FoxMP (2011) Retention in HIV care between testing and treatment in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. PLoS Med 8: e1001056 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001056
18. RosenS, FoxMP, GillCJ (2007) Patient retention in antiretroviral therapy programs in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. PLoS Med 4: e298 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0040298
19. SutharABFN, BachanasPJ, WongVJ, RajanJS, et al. (2013) Towards universal voluntary HIV testing and counselling: a systematic review and meta-analysis of community-based approaches. PLoS Med 10: e1001496 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001496
20. JaniIV, SitoeNE, AlfaiER, ChongoPL, QuevedoJI, et al. (2011) Effect of point-of-care CD4 cell count tests on retention of patients and rates of antiretroviral therapy initiation in primary health clinics: an observational cohort study. Lancet 378: 1572–1579.
21. KredoT, FordN, AdeniyiFB, GarnerP (2013) Decentralising HIV treatment in lower- and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 6: CD009987.
22. HallettTB, EatonJW (2013) A side door into care cascade for HIV-infected patients? J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 63 Suppl 2: S228–S232.
23. GranichR, GuptaS, SutharAB, SmythC, HoosD, et al. (2011) Antiretroviral therapy in prevention of HIV and TB: update on current research efforts. Curr HIV Res 9: 446–469.
24. Stover J PC, Bollinger L (2012) The effects of different ART eligibility strategies on HIV-related mortality and incidence. International AIDS Conference, Washington (D.C.); 23 July 23 2012. Abstract MOPDC0101.
25. CharleboisED, DasM, PorcoTC, HavlirDV (2011) The effect of expanded antiretroviral treatment strategies on the HIV epidemic among men who have sex with men in San Francisco. Clin Infect Dis 52: 1046–1049.
26. KatoM, GranichR, Duc BuiD, TranHV, NadolP, et al. (2013) The potential impact of expanding antiretroviral therapy and combination prevention in Vietnam: towards elimination of HIV transmission. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr May 24. [Epub ahead of print].