1. Hussein J, Walker L (2010) Puerperal sepsis in low- and middle- income settings: past, present and future. In: Kehoe S, Neilson JP, Norman JE, editors. Maternal and infant deaths: chasing Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5. London: RCOG Press.
2. KhanKS, WojdylaD, SayL, GulmezogluAM, Van LookPF (2006) WHO analysis of causes of maternal death: a systematic review. Lancet 367: 1066–1074.
3. World Health Organization Department of Reproductive Health and Research (2011) Unsafe abortion: global and regional estimates of incidence of unsafe abortion and associated mortality in 2008, 6th edition. Geneva: World Health Organization.
4. World Health Organization (2012) Born too soon: the global action report on preterm birth. Geneva: World Health Organization.
5. HoganMC, ForemanKJ, NaghaviM, AhnSY, WangM, et al. (2010) Maternal mortality for 181 countries, 1980–2008: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 5. Lancet 375: 1609–1623.
6. ZvandasaraP, HargroveJW, NtoziniR, ChidawanyikaH, MutasaK, et al. (2006) Mortality and morbidity among postpartum HIV-positive and HIV-negative women in Zimbabwe: risk factors, causes, and impact of single-dose postpartum vitamin A supplementation. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43: 107–116.
7. RahangdaleL (2009) Infectious complications of pregnancy termination. Clin Obstet Gynecol 52: 198–204.
8. World Health Organization, United Nations Population Fund, United Nations Children's Fund, World Bank (2003) Managing complications in pregnancy and childbirth: a guide for midwives and doctors. Geneva: World Health Organization.
9. Dolea C, Stein C (2003) Global burden of maternal sepsis in the year 2000. Geneva: World Health Organization.
10. DuffP (1986) Pathophysiology and management of postcesarean endomyometritis. Obstet Gynecol 67: 269–276.
11. BlackwellAL, ThomasPD, WarehamK, EmerySJ (1993) Health gains from screening for infection of the lower genital tract in women attending for termination of pregnancy. Lancet 342: 206–210.
12. CunninghamFG, LucasMJ (1994) Urinary tract infections complicating pregnancy. Baillieres Clin Obstet Gynaecol 8: 353–373.
13. MillarLK, CoxSM (1997) Urinary tract infections complicating pregnancy. Infect Dis Clin North Am 11: 13–26.
14. PattersonTF, AndrioleVT (1997) Detection, significance, and therapy of bacteriuria in pregnancy. Update in the managed health care era. Infect Dis Clin North Am 11: 593–608.
15. LeJ, BriggsGG, McKeownA, BustilloG (2004) Urinary tract infections during pregnancy. Ann Pharmacother 38: 1692–1701.
16. RanaA, PradhanN, GurungG, SinghM (2004) Induced septic abortion: a major factor in maternal mortality and morbidity. J Obstet Gynaecol Res 30: 3–8.
17. StubblefieldPG, GrimesDA (1994) Septic abortion. N Engl J Med 331: 310–314.
18. VinhDC, EmbilJM (2005) Rapidly progressive soft tissue infections. Lancet Infect Dis 5: 501–513.
19. PeelingRW, HolmesKK, MabeyD, RonaldA (2006) Rapid tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs): the way forward. Sex Transm Infect 82 Suppl 5v1–v6.
20. GibbsRS, DuffP (1991) Progress in pathogenesis and management of clinical intraamniotic infection. Am J Obstet Gynecol 164: 1317–1326.
21. TitaAT, AndrewsWW (2010) Diagnosis and management of clinical chorioamnionitis. Clin Perinatol 37: 339–354.
22. NewtonER (2005) Preterm labor, preterm premature rupture of membranes, and chorioamnionitis. Clin Perinatol 32: 571–600.
23. BejarR, WozniakP, AllardM, BenirschkeK, VaucherY, et al. (1988) Antenatal origin of neurologic damage in newborn infants. I. Preterm infants. Am J Obstet Gynecol 159: 357–363.
24. GretherJK, NelsonKB (1997) Maternal infection and cerebral palsy in infants of normal birth weight. JAMA 278: 207–211.
25. KenyonS, BoulvainM, NeilsonJP (2010) Antibiotics for preterm rupture of membranes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010: CD001058.
26. RouseDJ, HauthJC, AndrewsWW, MillsBB, MaherJE (1997) Chlorhexidine vaginal irrigation for the prevention of peripartal infection: a placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 176: 617–622.
27. FaroS (2005) Postpartum endometritis. Clin Perinatol 32: 803–814.
28. MaharajD (2007) Puerperal pyrexia: a review. Part I. Obstet Gynecol Surv 62: 393–399.
29. SealeAC, MwanikiM, NewtonCR, BerkleyJA (2009) Maternal and early onset neonatal bacterial sepsis: burden and strategies for prevention in sub-Saharan Africa. Lancet Infect Dis 9: 428–438.
30. SmaillFM, GyteGM (2010) Antibiotic prophylaxis versus no prophylaxis for preventing infection after cesarean section. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010: CD007482.
31. LumbiganonP, ThinkhamropJ, ThinkhamropB, TolosaJE (2004) Vaginal chlorhexidine during labour for preventing maternal and neonatal infections (excluding Group B Streptococcal and HIV). Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2004: CD004070.
32. SaleemS, RouseDJ, McClureEM, ZaidiA, RezaT, et al. (2010) Chlorhexidine vaginal and infant wipes to reduce perinatal mortality and morbidity: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 115: 1225–1232.
33. LumbiganonP, LaopaiboonM, ThinkhamropJ (2010) Screening and treating asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 22: 95–99.
34. McGreadyR, WuthiekanunV, AshleyEA, TanSO, PimanpanarakM, et al. (2010) Diagnostic and treatment difficulties of pyelonephritis in pregnancy in resource-limited settings. Am J Trop Med Hyg 83: 1322–1329.
35. PitukkijronnakornS, ChittacharoenA, HerabutyaY (2005) Maternal and perinatal outcomes in pregnancy with acute pyelonephritis. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 89: 286–287.
36. SharmaP, ThapaL (2007) Acute pyelonephritis in pregnancy: a retrospective study. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 47: 313–315.
37. GilstrapLC3rd, RaminSM (2001) Urinary tract infections during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 28: 581–591.
38. SchnarrJ, SmaillF (2008) Asymptomatic bacteriuria and symptomatic urinary tract infections in pregnancy. Eur J Clin Invest 38 Suppl 250–57.
39. PenneyGC (1997) Preventing infective sequelae of abortion. Hum Reprod 12: 107–112.
40. GuleriaK, BansalS, AgarwalN, GroverV (2006) Women with septic abortion: who, how and why? A prospective study from tertiary care hospital in India. Indian J Public Health 50: 95–96.
41. SoodM, JunejaY, GoyalU (1995) Maternal mortality and morbidity associated with clandestine abortions. J Indian Med Assoc 93: 77–79.
42. VasquezDN, EstenssoroE, CanalesHS, ReinaR, SaenzMG, et al. (2007) Clinical characteristics and outcomes of obstetric patients requiring ICU admission. Chest 131: 718–724.
43. KonjeJC, ObisesanKA (1991) Septic abortion at University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 36: 121–125.
44. GallupDG, FreedmanMA, MeguiarRV, FreedmanSN, NolanTE (2002) Necrotizing fasciitis in gynecologic and obstetric patients: a surgical emergency. Am J Obstet Gynecol 187: 305–310.
45. TharpeN (2008) Postpregnancy genital tract and wound infections. J Midwifery Womens Health 53: 236–246.
46. LegboJN, LegboJF (2007) Bacterial isolates from necrotizing fasciitis: a clinico-pathological perspective. Niger J Med 16: 143–147.
47. LegboJN, ShehuBB (2005) Necrotizing fasciitis: a comparative analysis of 56 cases. J Natl Med Assoc 97: 1692–1697.
48. McHenryCR, AzarT, RamahiAJ, CollinsPL (1996) Monomicrobial necrotizing fasciitis complicating pregnancy and puerperium. Obstet Gynecol 87: 823–826.