1. TateJE, BurtonAH, Boschi-PintoC, SteeleAD, DuqueJ, et al. (2011) 2008 estimate of worldwide rotavirus-associated mortality in children younger than 5 years before the introduction of universal rotavirus vaccination programmes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis 12: 136–141.
2. WHO (2009) Rotavirus vaccines: an update. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 84: 533–540.
3. Ruiz-PalaciosGM, Perez-SchaelI, VelazquezFR, AbateH, BreuerT, et al. (2006) Safety and efficacy of an attenuated vaccine against severe rotavirus gastroenteritis. N Engl J Med 354: 11–22.
4. VesikariT, MatsonDO, DennehyP, Van DammeP, SantoshamM, et al. (2006) Safety and efficacy of a pentavalent human-bovine (WC3) reassortant rotavirus vaccine. N Engl J Med 354: 23–33.
5. ArmahGE, SowSO, BreimanRF, DallasMJ, TapiaMD, et al. (2010) Efficacy of pentavalent rotavirus vaccine against severe rotavirus gastroenteritis in infants in developing countries in sub-Saharan Africa: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 376: 606–614.
6. ZamanK, DangDA, VictorJC, ShinS, YunusM, et al. (2010) Efficacy of pentavalent rotavirus vaccine against severe rotavirus gastroenteritis in infants in developing countries in Asia: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 376: 615–623.
7. MurphyTV, GargiulloPM, MassoudiMS, NelsonDB, JumaanAO, et al. (2001) Intussusception among infants given an oral rotavirus vaccine. N Engl J Med 344: 564–572.
8. ButteryJP, DanchinMH, LeeKJ, CarlinJB, McIntyrePB, et al. (2011) Intussusception following rotavirus vaccine administration: post-marketing surveillance in the National Immunization Program in Australia. Vaccine 29: 3061–3066.
9. PatelMM, Lopez-ColladaVR, BulhoesMM, De OliveiraLH, Bautista MarquezA, et al. (2011) Intussusception risk and health benefits of rotavirus vaccination in Mexico and Brazil. N Engl J Med 364: 2283–2292.
10. PatelMM, HaberP, BaggsJ, ZuberP, BinesJE, et al. (2009) Intussusception and rotavirus vaccination: a review of the available evidence. Expert Rev Vaccines 8: 1555–1564.
11. GargiulloPM, MurphyTV, DavisRL (2006) Is there a safe age for vaccinating infants with tetravalent rhesus-human reassortant rotavirus vaccine? J Infect Dis 194: 1793–1794; author reply 1794–1795.
12. RothmanKJ, Young-XuY, ArellanoF (2006) Age dependence of the relation between reassortant rotavirus vaccine (RotaShield) and intussusception. J Infect Dis 193: 898; author reply 898–899.
13. World Health Organization (WHO). Global and national estimates of deaths under age five attributable to rotavirus infection: 2004 (as of 31 March 2006). Available: http://www.who.int/immunization_monitoring/burden/rotavirus_estimates/en/. Accessed 16 June 2008.
14. ClarkA, SandersonC (2009) Timing of children's vaccinations in 45 low-income and middle-income countries: an analysis of survey data. Lancet 373: 1543–1549.
15. PatelMM, ClarkAD, GlassRI, GreenbergH, TateJ, et al. (2009) Broadening the age restriction for initiating rotavirus vaccination in regions with high rotavirus mortality: benefits of mortality reduction versus risk of fatal intussusception. Vaccine 27: 2916–2922.
16. do CarmoGM, YenC, CortesJ, SiqueiraAA, de OliveiraWK, et al. (2011) Decline in diarrhea mortality and admissions after routine childhood rotavirus immunization in Brazil: a time-series analysis. PLoS Med 8: e1001024 doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001024.
17. RichardsonV, Hernandez-PichardoJ, Quintanar-SolaresM, Esparza-AguilarM, JohnsonB, et al. (2010) Effect of rotavirus vaccination on death from childhood diarrhea in Mexico. N Engl J Med 362: 299–305.
18. ShuiIM, BaggsJ, PatelM, ParasharU, RettM, et al. (2012) Risk of intussusception following administration of a pentavalent rotavirus vaccine in US infants. JAMA 307: 598–604.
19. Sanderson C, Clark A, Taylor D, Bolanos B, Fine P (2012) Global review of rotavirus morbidity and mortality data by age and region. Paper for the Initiative for Vaccine Research, World Health Organization, Geneva. Available:http://www.who.int/immunization/sage/meetings/2012/april/Sanderson_et_al_SAGE_April_rotavirus.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2012.
20. AkmatovMK, MikolajczykRT (2011) Timeliness of childhood vaccinations in 31 low and middle-income countries. J Epidemiol Community Health 66: e14.
21. WHO (2003) List of Member States by.WHO region and mortality stratum. Available: http://www.who.int/whr/2003/en/member_states_182-184_en.pdf. Accessed 12 March 2012.
22. DHS (ENDES) (2000) Programa DHS/Macro International Inc. Available: http://www.measuredhs.com. Accessed 16 January 2012.
23. UNICEF (2004) Multiple indicator cluster survey (MICS). Available: http://www.unicef.org/statistics/index_24302.html. Accessed 31 January 2012.
24. WHO-UNICEF (2012) WHO-UNICEF estimates of DTP1 coverage. Available: http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/en/globalsummary/timeseries/tswucoveragedtp1.htm. Accessed 31 January 2012].
25. PatelM, PedreiraC, De OliveiraLH, TateJ, OrozcoM, et al. (2009) Association between pentavalent rotavirus vaccine and severe rotavirus diarrhea among children in Nicaragua. JAMA 301: 2243–2251.
26. LinharesAC, VelazquezFR, Perez-SchaelI, Saez-LlorensX, AbateH, et al. (2008) Efficacy and safety of an oral live attenuated human rotavirus vaccine against rotavirus gastroenteritis during the first 2 years of life in Latin American infants: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase III study. Lancet 371: 1181–1189.
27. de PalmaO, CruzL, RamosH, de BairesA, VillatoroN, et al. (2010) Effectiveness of rotavirus vaccination against childhood diarrhoea in El Salvador: case-control study. BMJ 340: c2825.
28. MadhiSA, CunliffeNA, SteeleD, WitteD, KirstenM, et al. (2010) Effect of human rotavirus vaccine on severe diarrhea in African infants. N Engl J Med 362: 289–298.
29. BreimanRF, ZamanK, ArmahG, SowSO, DangDA, et al. (2012) Ad hoc analyses of health outcomes from the 5 sites participating in the africa and asia clinical efficacy trials of oral pentavalent rotavirus vaccine. Vaccine 30 Suppl 1: A24–A29.
30. LanzieriTM, LinharesAC, CostaI, KolheDA, CunhaMH, et al. (2011) Impact of rotavirus vaccination on childhood deaths from diarrhea in Brazil. Int J Infect Dis 15: e206–210.
31. VelazquezFR, ColindresRE, GrajalesC, HernandezMT, MercadilloMG, et al. (2012) Postmarketing surveillance of intussusception following mass introduction of the attenuated human rotavirus vaccine in Mexico. Pediatr Infect Dis J 31: 736–744.
32. EscolanoS, FarringtonCP, HillC, Tubert-BitterP (2011) Intussusception after rotavirus vaccination–spontaneous reports. N Engl J Med 365: 2139.
33. WoolfB (1955) On estimating the relation between blood group and disease. Ann Hum Genet 19: 251–253.
34. Abate H, Linhares AC, Venegas G, Vergara RF, Lopez P, et al.. A multi-center study of intussusception in Latin America: first year results [abstract]. Presented at: ICP; 15–20 August 2004; Cancun, Mexico.
35. BuettcherM, BaerG, BonhoefferJ, SchaadUB, HeiningerU (2007) Three-year surveillance of intussusception in children in Switzerland. Pediatrics 120: 473–480.
36. ChenYE, BeasleyS, GrimwoodK (2005) Intussusception and rotavirus associated hospitalisation in New Zealand. Arch Dis Child 90: 1077–1081.
37. FischerTK, BihrmannK, PerchM, KochA, WohlfahrtJ, et al. (2004) Intussusception in early childhood: a cohort study of 1.7 million children. Pediatrics 114: 782–785.
38. GayN, RamsayM, WaightP (1999) Rotavirus vaccination and intussusception. Lancet 354: 956.
39. HoWL, YangTW, ChiWC, ChangHJ, HuangLM, et al. (2005) Intussusception in Taiwanese children: analysis of incidence, length of hospitalization and hospital costs in different age groups. J Formos Med Assoc 104: 398–401.
40. JusticeF, CarlinJ, BinesJ (2005) Changing epidemiology of intussusception in Australia. J Paediatr Child Health 41: 475–478.
41. NelsonEA, TamJS, GlassRI, ParasharUD, FokTF (2002) Incidence of rotavirus diarrhea and intussusception in Hong Kong using standardized hospital discharge data. Pediatr Infect Dis J 21: 701–703.
42. O'RyanM, LuceroY, PenaA, ValenzuelaMT (2003) Two year review of intestinal intussusception in six large public hospitals of Santiago, Chile. Pediatr Infect Dis J 22: 717–721.
43. Perez-SchaelI, EscalonaM, SalinasB, MateranM, PerezME, et al. (2003) Intussusception-associated hospitalization among Venezuelan infants during 1998 through 2001: anticipating rotavirus vaccines. Pediatr Infect Dis J 22: 234–239.
44. Saez-LlorensX, GuevaraJN (2004) Intussusception and rotavirus vaccines: what is the background risk? Pediatr Infect Dis J 23: 363–365.
45. TateJE, SimonsenL, ViboudC, SteinerC, PatelMM, et al. (2008) Trends in intussusception hospitalizations among US infants, 1993–2004: implications for monitoring the safety of the new rotavirus vaccination program. Pediatrics 121: e1125–1132.
46. MooreSW, KirstenM, MullerEW, NumanogluA, ChitnisM, et al. (2010) Retrospective surveillance of intussusception in South Africa, 1998–2003. J Infect Dis 202 Suppl: S156–161.
47. LatipovR, KhudoyorovR, FlemE (2011) Childhood intussusception in Uzbekistan: analysis of retrospective surveillance data. BMC Pediatr 11: 22.
48. KohlLJ, StrengA, GroteV, KoletzkoS, LieseJG (2010) Intussusception-associated hospitalisations in southern Germany. Eur J Pediatr 169: 1487–1493.
49. ChenSC, WangJD, HsuHY, LeongMM, TokTS, et al. (2010) Epidemiology of childhood intussusception and determinants of recurrence and operation: analysis of national health insurance data between 1998 and 2007 in Taiwan. Pediatr Neonatol 51: 285–291.
50. BissantzN, JenkeAC, TrampischM, Klaassen-MielkeR, BissantzK, et al. (2011) Hospital-based, prospective, multicentre surveillance to determine the incidence of intussusception in children aged below 15 years in Germany. BMC Gastroenterol 11: 26.
51. BahlR, SaxenaM, BhandariN, TanejaS, MathurM, et al. (2009) Population-based incidence of intussusception and a case-control study to examine the association of intussusception with natural rotavirus infection among indian children. J Infect Dis 200 Suppl 1: S277–281.
52. BinesJE, PatelM, ParasharU (2009) Assessment of postlicensure safety of rotavirus vaccines, with emphasis on intussusception. J Infect Dis 200 Suppl 1: S282–290.
53. SteeleAD, PatelM, CunliffeN, BreseeJ, ParasharU (2012) Retrospective review of intussusception in 9 African countries. Vaccine 30: Suppl 1: A185–A189.
54. PatelMM, SteeleD, GentschJR, WeckerJ, GlassRI, et al. (2011) Real-world impact of rotavirus vaccination. Pediatr Infect Dis J 30: S1–S5.
55. PatelMM, GlassR, DesaiR, TateJE, ParasharUD (2012) Fulfilling the promise of rotavirus vaccines: how far have we come since licensure? Lancet Infect Dis 12: 561–570.
56. YenC, Armero GuardadoJA, AlbertoP, Rodriguez AraujoDS, MenaC, et al. (2011) Decline in rotavirus hospitalizations and health care visits for childhood diarrhea following rotavirus vaccination in El Salvador. Pediatr Infect Dis J 30: S6–S10.
57. FieldEJ, VallyH, GrimwoodK, LambertSB (2010) Pentavalent rotavirus vaccine and prevention of gastroenteritis hospitalizations in australia. Pediatrics 126: e506–512.
58. CortesJE, de OliveiraLH, PatelMM, ParasharU, CorteseM (2011) Reduction of diarrhea-associated hospitalizations among children aged <5 years in Panama following the introduction of rotavirus vaccine. Pediatr Infect Dis J 30: S16–S20.
59. BraeckmanT, Van HerckK, RaesM, VergisonA, SabbeM, et al. (2011) Rotavirus vaccines in Belgium: policy and impact. Pediatr Infect Dis J 30: S21–S24.
60. AnhDD, CarlosCC, ThiemDV, HutagalungY, GatchalianS, et al. (2011) Immunogenicity, reactogenicity and safety of the human rotavirus vaccine RIX4414 (Rotarix) oral suspension (liquid formulation) when co-administered with expanded program on immunization (EPI) vaccines in Vietnam and the Philippines in 2006–2007. Vaccine 29: 2029–2036.
61. BallLK, EvansG, BostromA (1998) Risky business: challenges in vaccine risk communication. Pediatrics 101: 453–458.
62. BauchCT, EarnDJ (2004) Vaccination and the theory of games. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101: 13391–13394.
63. ConnollyT, RebJ (2003) Omission bias in vaccination decisions: Where's the “omission”? Where's the “bias”? Organ Behav Hum Dec 91: 186–202.
64. WeijerC (2000) The future of research into rotavirus vaccine. BMJ 321: 525–526.
65. Available: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nis.htm. Accessed 3 January 2012.
66. WHO (2012) Meeting of the strategic advisory group of experts on immunization, April 2012–conclusions and recommendations. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 87: 212–213.