1. Thiéry G, Azoulay E, Darmon M, et al. Outcome of cancer patients considered for intensive care unit admission: a hospital-wide prospective study. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:4406–4413.
2. Ferlay J, Autier P, Boniol M, et al. Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe 2003. Ann Oncol. 2007;18:581–592.
3. Rodriguez-Abreu D, Bordoni A, Zucca E. Epidemiology of hematological malignancies. Ann Oncol. 2007;18(Suppl 1):3–8.
4. Coleman MP, Quaresma M, Berrino F, et al. Cancer survival in five continents: a worldwide population-based study (CONCORD). Lancet. 2008;9:730–756.
5. Kinsey T, Jemal A, Liff J, et al. Secular trends in mortality from common cancers in the United States by educational attainment, 1993–2001. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100:1003–1012.
6. Schellongowski P, Staudinger T, Kundi M, et al. Prognostic factors for intensive care unit admission, intensive care outcome, and post-intensive care survival in patients with de novo acute myeloid leukemia: a single center experience. Haematologica. 2011;96:231–237.
7. Puxty K, McLoone P, Quasim T, et al. Risk of critical illness among patients with solid cancers: a population-based observational study. JAMA Oncol. 2015;1:1078–1085.
8. Taccone FS, Artigas AA, Sprung CL, et al. Characteristics and outcomes of cancer patients in European ICUs. Crit Care. 2009;13:R15.
9. Černý V, Cvachovec K, Matějovič M. Zásady a principy pro přijímání pacientů na pracoviště intenzivní péče. Česká společnost intenzivní medicíny ČLS JEP – stanovisko výboru. Prakt Lék. 2015;95:186–187.
10. Schellongowski P, Sperr WR, Wohlfarht P, et al. Critically ill patients with cancer: chances and limitations of intensive care medicine – a narrative review. ESMO Open. 2016;1:18.
11. Tillyard AR. Ethics review: „Living wills“ and intensive care – an overview of the American experience. Crit Care. 2007;11:219.
12. Schapira DV, Studnicki J, Bradham DD, et al. Intensive care, survival, and expense of treating critically ill cancer patients. JAMA. 1993;269:783–786.
13. Faber-Langendoen K, Caplan AL, McGlave PB. Survival of adult bone marrow transplant patients receiving mechanical ventilation: a case for restricted use. Bone Marrow Transplant. 1993;12:501–507.
14. Song JU, Suh GY, Park HY, et al. Early intervention on the outcomes in critically ill cancer patients admitted to intensive care units. Intensive Care Med. 2012;38:1505–1513.
15. Mokart D, Lambert J, Schnell D, et al. Delayed intensive care unit admissionis associated with increased mortality in patients with cancer with acute respiratory failure. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013;54:1724–1729.
16. Bird GT, Farquhar-Smith P, Wigmore T, et al. Outcomes and prognostic factors in patients with haematological malignancy admitted to a specialist cancer intensive care unit: a 5 year study. Br J Anaesth. 2012;108:452–459.
17. Azoulay E, Mokart D, Pène F, et al. Outcomes of critically ill patients with hematologic malignancies: prospective multicenter data from France and Belgium--a groupe de recherche respiratoire en réanimation onco-hématologique study. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:2810–2818.
18. Mokart D, Darmon M, Resche-Rigon M, et al. Prognosis of neutropenic patient sadmitted to the intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med. 2015;41:296–303.
19. Oeyen SG, Benoit DD, Annemans L, et al. Long-term outcomes and quality of life in critically ill patients with hematological or solid malignancies: a single center study. Intensive Care Med. 2013;39:889–898.
20. Faucher E, Cour M, Jahandiez V, et al. Short- and long-term outcomes in onco-hematological patients admitted to the intensive care unit with classic factors of poor prognosis. Oncotarget. 2016;7:2427–2438.
21. Tanvetyanon T, Leighton JC. Life-sustaining treatments in patients who died of chronic congestive heart failure compared to metastatic cancer. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:60–64.
22. Benoit DD, Vandewoude KH, Decruyenaere JM, et al. Outcome and early prognostic indicators in patients with a hematologic malignancy admitted to the intensive care unit for life-threatening complication. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:104–112.
23. Lecruyer L, Chevret S, Thiery G, et al. The ICU trial: a new admis-sion policy for cabcer patients requiring mechanical ventilation. Crit Care Med. 2007;35:808–814.
24. Soares M, Azoulay E. Critical care management of lung cancer patients to prolong life without prolonging dying. Intensive Care Med. 2009;35:2012–2014.
25. Azoulay E, Alberti C, Bornstain C, et al. Improved survival in cancer patients requiring mechanical ventilatory support: impact of noninvasive mechanical ventilatory support. Crit Care Med. 2001;29:519–525.
26. Larché J, Azoulay E, Fieux F, et al. Improved survival of critically ill cancer patients with septic shock. Intensive Care Med. 2003;29:1688–1695.
27. Péne F, Aubron C, Azoulay E, et al. Outcome of critically ill allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell Transplantation recipients: a reappraisal of indications for organ failure supports. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:643–649.
28. Legriel S, Marijon H, Darmon M, et al. Central neurological complications in critically ill patients with malignancy. Intensive Care Med. 2010;36:232–240.
29. Pastores SM, Voigt LP. Acute respiratory failure in the patient with cancer: diagnostic and management strategies. Crit Care Clin, 2010;26:21–40.
30. Azoulay E, Lemiale V, Mokart D, et al. Acute respiratory distress syndrome in patients with malignancies. Intensive Care Med. 2014;40:1106–1114.
31. Staudinger T, Stoiser B, Müllner M, et al. Outcome and prognostic factors in critically ill cancer patients admitted to the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med. 2000;28:1322–1328.
32. Wohlfarth P, Carlström A, Staudinger T, et al. Incidence of intensive care unit admission, outcome and post intensive care survival in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2016;57:1831–1838.
33. Massion PB, Dive AM, Doyen C, et al. Prognosis of hematologic malignancies does not predict intensive care unit mortality. Crit Care Med. 2002;30:2260–2270.
34. Darmon M, Azoulay E, Alberti C, et al. Impact of neutropenia duration on short-term mortality in neutropenic critically ill cancer pa-tients. Intensive Care Med. 2002;28:1775–1780.
35. Oh SY, Lee SJ, Lee J, et al. Gastric leptomeningeal carcinomatosis: multi-center retrospective analysis of 54 cases. World J Gastroenterol. 2009;15:5086–5090.
36. Ruffato A, Mattioli S, Pileri S, et al. Do bone marrow isolated tumor cells influence long-term survival of non-small cell lung cancer? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2009;35:463–468.
37. Afessa B, Azoulay E. Critical care of the hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipient. Crit Care Clin. 2010;26:133–150.
38. Afessa B, Tefferi A, Dunn WF, et al. Intensive care unit support and Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation III performance in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients. Crit Care Med. 2003;31:1715–1721.
39. Lengliné E, Raffoux E, Lemiale V, et al. Intensive care unit management of patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia with no organ failure. Leuk Lymphoma. 2012;53:1352–1359.
40. Azoulay E, Kouatchet A, Jaber S, et al. Noninvasive mechanical ventilation in patients having declined tracheal intubation. Intensive Care Med. 2013;39:292–301.
41. Wright AA, Keating NL, Ayanian JZ, et al. Family Perspectives on Aggressive Cancer Care Near the End of Life. JAMA. 2016;315:284–292.
42. World Health Organization. Definition of palliative care. http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/definition/en/, 2016.
43. Černý V, Cvachovec K, Pařízková R, et al. Konsenzuální stanovisko k poskytování paliativní péče u nemocných s nezvratným orgánovým postižením (ČSARIM ČLK JEP, ČSIM ČLK JEP). Anesteziol Intensiv Med. 2009;20:218–221.
44. Delgado-Guay MO, Parsons HA, Li Z, Palmer LJ, Bruera E. Symptom distress, interventions, and outcomes of intensive care unit cancer patients referred to a palliative care consult team. Cancer. 2009;115:437–445.
45. Norton SA, Hogan LA, Holloway RG, et al. Proactive palliative care in the medical intensive care unit: effects on length of stay for selected high-risk patients. Crit Care Med. 2007;35:1530–1535.
46. Darmon M, Thiery G, Ciroldi M, et al. Intensive care in patients with newly diagnosed malignancies and a need for cancer chemotherapy. Crit Care Med. 2005;33:2488–2493.
47. Benoit DD, Depuydt PO, Vandewoude KH, et al. Outcome in severely ill patients with hematological malignancies who received intravenous chemotherapy in the intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med. 2006;32:93–99.
48. Vandijck DM, Benoit DD, Depuydt PO, et al. Impact of recent intravenous chemotherapy on outcome in severe sepsis and septic shock patients with hematological malignancies. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:847–55.
49. Hemelaar P, Azoulay E, Pickers P. Caring for critically ill immunocompromized patients multinational network (The Nine – I Network) – The Bekele Afessa Research Day. Netherlands J Crit Care. 2016;24:37–38.