1. SevereP, JusteMA, AmbroiseA, EliacinL, MarchandC, et al. (2010) Early versus standard antiretroviral therapy for HIV-infected adults in Haiti. N Engl J Med 363: 257–265.
2. CohenMS, ChenYQ, McCauleyM, GambleT, HosseinipourMC, et al. (2011) Prevention of HIV-1 infection with early antiretroviral therapy. N Engl J Med 365: 493–505.
3. Medecins Sans Frontieres (n.d.) Access to antiretrovirals; Untangling the Web of ARV Price Reductions. Available: http://utw.msfaccess.org. Accessed 30 May 2012.
4. WHO (2010) Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in adults and adolescents: recommendations for a public health approach – 2010 revision. World Health Organization
5. CampbellTB, SmeatonLM, KumarasamyN, FlaniganT, KlingmanKL, et al. (2012) Efficacy and safety of three antiretroviral regimens for initial treatment of hiv-1: a randomized clinical trial in diverse multinational settings. PLoS Med 9: e1001290 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001290.
6. GallantJE, DeJesusE, ArribasJR, PozniakAL, GazzardB, et al. (2006) Tenofovir DF, emtricitabine, and efavirenz vs. zidovudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz for HIV. N Engl J Med 354: 251–60.
7. JouquetG, BygraveH, KranzerK, FordN, GadotL, et al. (2011) Cost and cost-effectiveness of switching from d4T or AZT to a TDF-based first-line regimen in a resource-limited setting in rural Lesotho. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 58: e68–e74.
8. WirtzVJ, Santa-Ana-TellezY, TroutCH, KaplanWA (2012) Allocating scarce financial resources for HIV treatment: benchmarking prices of antiretroviral medicines in Latin America. Health Policy Plan. Epub ahead of print 24 February 2012
9. KenyonC, WearneN, BurtonR, MeintjesG (2011) The risks of concurrent treatment with tenofovir and aminoglycosides in patients with HIV-associated Tuberculosis. South Afr J HIV Med 43–45.
10. CohenK, GrantA, DandaraC, McIlleronH, PembaL, et al. (2009) Effect of rifampicin-based antitubercular therapy and the cytochrome P450 2B6 516G>T polymorphism on efavirenz concentrations in adults in South Africa. Antivir Ther 14: 687–695.
11. ThompsonMA, AbergJA, CahnP, MontanerJS, RizzardiniG, et al. (2010) Antiretroviral treatment of adult HIV infection: 2010 recommendations of the International AIDS Society-USA panel. JAMA 304: 321.
12. KambuguA (2012) Pre-ART HIV resistance testing in Africa: are we there yet? Lancet Infect Dis 12: 261.
13. Markowitz M, Zolopa A, Ruane P (2011) GS-7340 demonstrates greater declines in HIV-1 RNA than TDF during 14 days of monotherapy in HIV-1-infected subjects. 18th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2011). Boston.