DESIGN, MANUFACTURE AND TESTING OF RABBIT IMPLANTATION STRUCTURES FOR PRECLINICAL EXAMINATIONS
; Marianna Trebuňová
; Radovan Hudák
; Marek Schnitzer
; Jozef Živčák
Vyšlo v časopise:
Lékař a technika - Clinician and Technology No. 1, 2019, 49, 11-15
The aim of this study was to develop a methodology of preclinical animal testing in case studies for implants with PEEK material and its derivatives with possible use for other materials. In the theoretical part, the study deals with the analysis of the current situation in the area of preclinical animal testing, especially in the field of implantology. Based on this analysis, the test implant structures were prepared at the workplace, which were subsequently inserted into appropriate rabbit individuals by surgical intervention in case studies. These case studies serve to create a comprehensive test methodology for animal preclinical tests within a statistically relevant animal sample for the needs of subsequent clinical testing and certification of the biomaterial used.
PEEK – animal – implants – osteointegration – ceramics
- Panayotov IV, Orti V, Cuisinier F, Yachouh J. Polyether-etherketone (PEEK) for medical applications. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2016 Jul 1;27(7):118.
- Shah AM, Jung H, Skirboll S. Materials used in cranioplasty: a history and analysis. Neurosurgical focus. 2014 Apr 1;36(4): E19.
- Johansson P, Jimbo R, Kjellin P, Currie F, Chrcanovic BR, Wennerberg A. Biomechanical evaluation and surface character-ization of a nano-modified surface on PEEK implants: a study in the rabbit tibia. International journal of nanomedicine. 2014;9:3903.
- Durham III JW, Montelongo SA, Ong JL, Guda T, Allen MJ, Rabiei A. Hydroxyapatite coating on PEEK implants: Bio-mechanical and histological study in a rabbit model. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2016 Nov 1;68:723-31.
- Walsh WR, Pelletier MH, Bertollo N, Christou C, Tan C. Does PEEK/HA enhance bone formation compared with PEEK in a sheep cervical fusion model? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2016 Nov 1;474(11):2364-72.
- Deng QX, Ou YS, Zhu Y, Zhao ZH, Liu B, Huang Q, Du X, Jiang DM. Clinical outcomes of two types of cages used in transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion for the treatment of degenerative lumbar diseases: n-HA/PA66 cages versus PEEK cages. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2016 Jun 1;27(6):102.
- Kurtz SM. Applications of polyaryletheretherketone in spinal implants: fusion and motion preservation. In PEEK Biomaterials Handbook 2012 Jan 1 (pp. 201-220). William Andrew Publish-ing.