1. Uemura N, Okamoto S, Yamamoto S, et al. Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2001;345:784–789.
2. Fukase K, Kato M, Kikuchi S, et al. Effect of eradication of Helicobacter pylori on incidence of metachronous gastric carcinoma after endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer: an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2008,372:392–397.
3. Ohata H, Kitauchi S, Yoshimura N, et al. Progression of chronic atrophic gastritis associated with Helicobacter pylori infection increases risk of gastric cancer. Int J Cancer 2004;109:138–143.
4. Japanese Gastric Cancer Association Japanese: Japanese classification of gastric carcinoma, Fourteenth Edition. Kanehara, Tokyo, 2010. (in Japanese)
5. Japanese Gastric Cancer Association; Gastric Cancer Treatment Guideline, Third Edition. Kanehara, Tokyo, 2010. (in Japanese)
6. Oda I, Saito D, Tada M, et al. A multicenter retrospective study of endoscopic resection for early gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:262–270.
7. Miwa K, Kinami S, Taniguchi K, et al. Mapping sentinel nodes in patients with early-stage gastric carcinoma. Br J Surg 2003;90:178–182.
8. Fujimura T, Kinami T, Fushida S, et al. Limited Surgery (Function-preserving curative gastrectomy) for Gastric Cancer Shokakigeka (Gastroenterological Surgery) 2008, 31:708–715. (in Japanese)
9. Fujimura T, Fushida S, Kayahara M, et al. Transectional gastrectomy:An old but renewed concept for early gastric cancer. Surg Today 2010;40:398–403.
10. Katai H, Sasako M, Fukuda H, et al. Safety and feasibility of laparoscopy-assisted distal gastrectomy with suprapancreatic nodal dissection for clinical stage I gastric cancer: a multicenter phase II trial (JCOG 0703) Gastric Cancer 2010;13:238–244.
11. Kitagawa Y, Kitano S, Kubota T, et al. Minimally invasive surgery for gastric cancer – toward a confluence of two major streams: a review Gastric Cancer 2005;8:103-110.
12. Cuschieri A, Weeden S, Fielding J, et al. Patient survival after D1 and D2 resections for gastric cancer: long-term results of the MRC randomized surgical trial. Surgical Co-operative Group, Br J Cancer 1999;79:1522–1530.
13. Bonenkamp JJ, Hermans J, Sasako M, et al. Dutch Gastric Cancer Group. Extended lymph-node dissection for gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 1999;340:908–914.
14. Songun I, Putter H, Kranenbarg EM, et al. Surgical treatment of gastric cancer: 15-year follow-up results of the randomised nationwide Dutch D1D2 trial. Lancet Oncol 2010;11:439–449.
15. Sasako M, Sano T, Yamamoto S, et al. D2 lymphadenectomy alone or with para-aortic nodal dissection for gastric cancer. N Engl J Med 2008;359:453–462.
16. Fujimura T, Nakamura K, Oyama K, et al. Selective lymphadenectomy of para-aortic lymph nodes for advanced gastric cancer. Oncol Rep 2009;22:509–514.
17. Sasako M, Sano T, Yamamoto S, et al. Left thoracoabdominal approach versus abdominal-transhiatal approach for gastric cancer of the cardia or subcardia: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2006;7:644–651.
18. Boku N, Yamamoto S, Fukuda H, et al. Gastrointestinal Oncology Study Group of the Japan Clinical Oncology Group. Fluorouracil versus combination of irinotecan plus cisplatin versus S-1 in metastatic gastric cancer: a randomised phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 2009;10:1063–1069.
19. Koizumi W, Narahara H, Hara T, et al. S-1 plus cisplatin versus S-1 alone for first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer (SPIRITS trial): a phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 2008;9:215–221.