1. UNAIDS (2013) Global report: UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic 2013. New York: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS).
2. JohnsonL, StinsonK, NewellML, BlandR, MoultrieH, et al. (2012) The contribution of maternal HIV seroconversion during late pregnancy and breastfeeding to mother-to-child transmission of HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 59: 417–425.
3. Tudor CarL, BrusamentoS, ElmoniryH, van VelthovenMH, PapeUJ, et al. (2013) The uptake of integrated perinatal prevention of mother-to-child HIV transmission programs in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review. PLoS ONE 8: e56550.
4. WettsteinC, MugglinC, EggerM, BlaserN, VizcayaLS, et al. (2012) Missed opportunities to prevent mother-to-child-transmission: systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 26: 2361–2373.
5. ViolariA, CottonMF, GibbDM, BabikerAG, SteynJ, et al. (2008) Early antiretroviral therapy and mortality among HIV-infected infants. N Engl J Med 359: 2233–2244.
6. FerrandRA, CorbettEL, WoodR, HargroveJ, NdhlovuCE, et al. (2009) AIDS among older children and adolescents in Southern Africa: projecting the time course and magnitude of the epidemic. AIDS 23: 2039–2046.
7. MarstonM, BecquetR, ZabaB, MoultonLH, GrayG, et al. (2011) Net survival of perinatally and postnatally HIV-infected children: a pooled analysis of individual data from sub-Saharan Africa. Int J Epidemiol 40: 385–396.
8. FerrandRA, MunaiwaL, MatseketeJ, BandasonT, NathooK, et al. (2010) Undiagnosed HIV infection among adolescents seeking primary health care in Zimbabwe. Clin Infect Dis 51: 844–851.
9. MillerRF, KaskiJP, HakimJ, MatengaJ, NathooK, et al. (2013) Cardiac disease in adolescents with delayed diagnosis of vertically acquired HIV infection. Clin Infect Dis 56: 576–582.
10. KranzerK, MeghjiJ, BandasonT, DauyaE, MungofaS, et al. (2014) Barriers to provider-initiated testing and counselling for children in a high HIV prevalence setting: a mixed-methods study. PLoS Med 11: e1001649.
11. BandasonT, LanghaugLF, MakambaM, LaverS, HatzoldK, et al. (2013) Burden of HIV among primary school children and feasibility of primary school-linked HIV testing in Harare, Zimbabwe: a mixed methods study. AIDS Care 25: 1520–1526.
12. Ramirez-AvilaL, NoubaryF, PansegrouwD, SitholeS, GiddyJ, et al. (2013) The acceptability and feasibility of routine pediatric HIV testing in an outpatient clinic in Durban, South Africa. Pediatr Infect Dis J 32: 1348–1353.
13. O'DonnellK, YaoJ, OstermannJ, ThielmanN, ReddyE, et al. (2014) Low rates of child testing for HIV persist in a high-risk area of East Africa. AIDS Care 26: 326–331.
14. YeapAD, HamiltonR, CharalambousS, DwadwaT, ChurchyardGJ, et al. (2010) Factors influencing uptake of HIV care and treatment among children in South Africa - a qualitative study of caregivers and clinic staff. AIDS Care 22: 1101–1107.
15. HorwoodC, ButlerLM, VermaakK, RollinsN, HaskinsL, et al. (2011) Disease profile of children under 5 years attending primary health care clinics in a high HIV prevalence setting in South Africa. Trop Med Int Health 16: 42–52.
16. WHO (2007) Guidance on provider-initiated HIV testing and counselling in health facilities. Data WLC-i-P, editor. Geneva: WHO Library Cataloguing-in-Publication Data.
17. PhelpsBR, AhmedS, AmzelA, DialloMO, JacobsT, et al. (2013) Linkage, initiation and retention of children in the antiretroviral therapy cascade: an overview. AIDS 27 Suppl 2S207–213.
18. McQuoid-MasonD (2007) The effect of the new Children's Act on consent to HIV testing and access to contraceptives by children. S Afr Med J 97: 1252–1253.
19. ChatterjeeA, TripathiS, GassR, HamunimeN, PanhaS, et al. (2011) Implementing services for Early Infant Diagnosis (EID) of HIV: a comparative descriptive analysis of national programs in four countries. BMC Public Health 11: 553.
20. MugglinC, WandelerG, EstillJ, EggerM, BenderN, et al. (2013) Retention in care of HIV-infected children from HIV test to start of antiretroviral therapy: systematic review. PLoS ONE 8: e56446.