1. Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Sarnak MJ. Clinical epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in chronic renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 32 (5 Suppl 3): S112–S119.
2. Mann JF, Gerstein HC, Pogue J et al. Renal insufficiency as a predictor of cardiovascular outcomes and the impact of ramipril: the HOPE randomized trial. Ann Intern Med 2001; 134: 629–636.
3. Go AS, Chertow GM, Fan D et al. Chronic kidney disease and the risks of death, cardiovascular events, and hospitalization. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 1296–1305.
4. Ruilope LM, Salvetti A, Jamerson K et al. Renal function and intensive lowering of blood pressure in hypertensive participants of the Hypertension Optimal Treatment (HOT) study. J Am Soc Nephrol 2001; 12: 218–225.
5. Henry RM, Kostense PJ, Bos G et al. Mild renal insufficiency is associated with increased cardiovascular mortality: The Hoorn Study. Kidney Int 2002; 62: 1402–1407.
6. Hage FG, Venkataraman R, Zoghbi GJ et al. The scope of coronary heart disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 2129–2140.
7. National Kidney Foundation. K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for chronic kidney disease: evaluation, classification, and stratification. Am J Kidney Dis 2002; 39 (2 Suppl 1): S1–S266.
8. Levey AS, Beto JA, Coronado BE et al. Controlling the epidemic of cardiovascular disease in chronic renal disease: what do we know? What do we need to learn? Where do we go from here? National Kidney Foundation Task Force on Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 32: 853–906.
9. Lindner A, Charra B, Sherrard DJ et al. Accelerated atherosclerosis in prolonged maintenance hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 1974; 290: 697–701.
10. Levin A, Thompson CR, Ethier J et al. Left ventricular mass index increase in early renal disease: impact of decline in hemoglobin. Am J Kidney Dis 1999; 34: 125–134.
11. Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Kent GM et al. Long‑term evolution of cardiomyopathy in dialysis patients. Kidney Int 1998; 54: 1720–1725.
12. Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Harnett JD et al. The prognostic importance of left ventricular geometry in uremic cardiomyopathy. J Am Soc Nephrol 1995; 5: 2024–2031.
13. Parfrey PS, Harnett JD, Foley RN et al. Impact of renal transplantation on uremic cardiomyopathy. Transplantation 1995; 60: 908–914.
14. Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Morgan J et al. Effect of hemoglobin levels in hemodialysis patients with asymptomatic cardiomyopathy. Kidney Int 2000; 58: 1325–1335.
15. Goldsmith D, Covic A. Coronary artery disease in uremia: etiology, diagnosis, and therapy. Kidney Int 2001; 60: 2059–2078.
16. Manske CL, Thomas W, Wang Y et al. Screening diabetic transplant candidates for coronary artery disease: identification of a low risk subgroup. Kidney Int 1993; 44: 617–621.
17. Schwarz U, Buzello M, Ritz E et al. Morphology of coronary atherosclerotic lesions in patients with end‑stage renal failure. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2000; 15: 218–223.
18. Koch M, Gradaus F, Schoebel FC et al. Relevance of conventional cardiovascular risk factors for the prediction of coronary artery disease in diabetic patients on renal replacement therapy. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1997; 12: 1187–1191.
19. Gradaus F, Ivens K, Peters AJ et al. Angiographic progression of coronary artery disease in patients with end‑stage renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2001; 16: 1198–1202.
20. Parfrey PS, Foley RN, Harnett JD et al. Outcome and risk factors of ischemic heart disease in chronic uremia. Kidney Int 1996; 49: 1428–1434.
21. Rostand SG, Gretes JC, Kirk KA et al. Ischemic heart disease in patients with uremia undergoing maintenance hemodialysis. Kidney Int 1979; 16: 600–611.
22. Törnig J, Amann K, Ritz E et al. Arteriolar wall thickening, capillary rarefaction and interstitial fibrosis in the heart of rats with renal failure: the effects of ramipril, nifedipine and moxonidine. J Am Soc Nephrol 1996; 7: 667–675.
23. Chertow GM, Normand SL, Silva LR et al. Survival after acute myocardial infarction in patients with end‑stage renal disease: results from the cooperative cardiovascular project. Am J Kidney Dis 2000; 35: 1217–1220.
24. Pidgeon GB, Lynn KL, Bailey RR et al. Coronary angiography prior to renal transplantation. Nephrology 1995; 1: 59–64.
25. Murphy SW, Foley RN, Parfrey PS. Screening and treatment for cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 32 (5 Suppl 3): S184–S199.
26. Kalantar-Zadeh K, Block G, Humphreys MH et al. Reverse epidemiology of cardiovascular risk factors in maintenance dialysis patients. Kidney Int 2003; 63: 793–808.
27. Levin NW, Handelman GJ, Coresh J et al. Reverse epidemiology: a confusing, confounding, and inaccurate term. Semin Dial 2007; 20: 586–592.
28. Kalantar‑Zadeh K, Kilpatrick RD, McAllister CJ et al. Reverse epidemiology of hypertension and cardiovascular death in the hemodialysis population: the 58th annual fall conference and scientific sessions. Hypertension 2005; 45: 811–817.
29. Goldfarb‑Rumyantzev AS, Baird BC, Leypoldt JK et al. The association between BP and mortality in patients on chronic peritoneal dialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2005; 20: 1693–1701.
30. Kovesdy CP, Anderson JE, Kalantar‑Zadeh K. Paradoxical association between body mass index and mortality in men with CKD not yet on dialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2007; 49: 581–591.
31. Lowrie EG, Lew NL. Death risk in hemodialysis patients: the predictive value of commonly measured variables and an evaluation of death rate differences between facilities. Am J Kidney Dis 1990; 15: 458–482.
32. Kovesdy CP, Kalantar‑Zadeh K. Why is protein‑energy wasting associated with mortality in chronic kidney disease? Semin Nephrol 2009; 29: 3–14.
33. Parekh RS, Plantinga LC, Kao WH et al. The association of sudden cardiac death with inflammation and other traditional risk factors. Kidney Int 2008; 74: 1335–1342.
34. Mann JF, Lonn EM, Yi Q et al. Effects of vitamin E on cardiovascular outcomes in people with mild-to-moderate renal insufficiency: results of the HOPE study. Kidney Int 2004; 65: 1375–1380.
35. Marchioli R, Levantesi G, Macchia A et al. Vitamin E increases the risk of developing heart failure after myocardial infarction: results from the GISSI‑Prevenzione trial. J Cardiovasc Med 2006; 7: 347–350.
36. Boaz M, Smetana S, Weinstein T et al. Secondary prevention with antioxidants of cardiovascular disease in endstage renal disease (SPACE): randomised placebo‑controlled trial. Lancet 2000; 356: 1213–1218.
37. van Guldener C, Kulik W, Berger R et al. Homocysteine and methionine metabolism in ESRD: a stable isotope study. Kidney Int 1999; 56: 1064–1071.
38. Shishehbor MH, Oliveira LP, Lauer MS et al. Emerging cardiovascular risk factors that account for a significant portion of attributable mortality risk in chronic kidney disease. Am J Cardiol 2008; 101: 1741–1746.
39. Marcus J, Sarnak MJ, Menon V. Homocysteine lowering and cardiovascular disease risk: lost in translation. Can J Cardiol 2007; 23: 707–710.
40. Suliman ME, Lindholm B, Bárány P et al. Homocysteine‑lowering is not a primary target for cardiovascular disease prevention in chronic kidney disease patients. Semin Dial 2007; 20: 523–529.
41. Block GA, Hulbert‑Shearon TE, Levin NW et al. Association of serum phosphorus and calcium x phosphate product with mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patients: a national study. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 31: 607–617.
42. Ganesh SK, Stack AG, Levin NW et al. Association of elevated serum PO(4), Ca x PO(4) product, and parathyroid hormone with cardiac mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2001; 12: 2131–2138.
43. Blacher J, Guerin AP, Pannier B et al. Arterial calcifications, arterial stiffness, and cardiovascular risk in end‑stage renal disease. Hypertension 2001; 38: 938–942.
44. Block GA, Spiegel DM, Ehrlich J et al. Effects of sevelamer and calcium on coronary artery calcification in patients new to hemodialysis. Kidney Int 2005; 68: 1815–1824.
45. Suki WN, Zabaneh R, Cangiano JL et al. Effects of sevelamer and calcium‑based phosphate binders on mortality in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 2007; 72: 1130–1137.
46. Chertow GM, Pupim LB, Block GA et al. Evaluation of Cinacalcet Therapy to Lower Cardiovascular Events (EVOLVE): rationale and design overview. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2007; 2: 898–905.
47. Ma JZ, Ebben J, Xia H et al. Hematocrit level and associated mortality in hemodialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 1999; 10: 610–619.
48. Besarab A, Bolton WK, Browne JK et al. The effects of normal as compared with low hematocrit values in patients with cardiac disease who are receiving hemodialysis and epoetin. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 584–590.
49. Drüeke TB, Locatelli F, Clyne N et al. Normalization of hemoglobin level in patients with chronic kidney disease and anemia. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2071–2084.
50. Singh AK, Szczech L, Tang KL et al. Correction of anemia with epoetin alfa in chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 2085–2098.
51. Mix TC, Brenner RM, Cooper ME et al. Rationale – trial to Reduce Cardiovascular Events with Aranesp Therapy (TREAT): evolving the management of cardiovascular risk in patients with chronic kidney disease. Am Heart J 2005; 149: 408–413.
52. Stamler J, Vaccaro O, Neaton JD et al. Diabetes, other risk factors, and 12‑yr cardiovascular mortality for men screened in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Diabetes Care 1993; 16: 434–444.
53. Wanner C, Krane V, März W, et al. Atorvastatin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus undergoing hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 2005; 353: 238–248.
54. Shepherd J, Cobbe SM, Ford I et al. Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia. West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study Group. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 1301–1307.
55. Downs JR, Clearfield M, Weis S et al. Primary prevention of acute coronary events with lovastatin in men and women with average cholesterol levels: results of AFCAPS/TexCAPS. Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study. JAMA 1998; 279: 1615–1622.
56. Sever PS, Dahlöf B, Poulter NR et al. Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower‑than‑average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo‑Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes Trial‑Lipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT‑LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 1149–1158.
57. Ridker PM, Danielson E, Fonseca FA et al. Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C‑reactive protein. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 2195–2207.
58. Seliger SL, Weiss NS, Gillen DL et al. HMG‑CoA reductase inhibitors are associated with reduced mortality in ESRD patients. Kidney Int 2002; 61: 297–304.
59. Lewis SJ, Moye LA, Sacks FM et al. Effect of pravastatin on cardiovascular events in older patients with myocardial infarction and cholesterol levels in the average range. Results of the Cholesterol and Recurrent Events (CARE) trial. Ann Intern Med 1998; 129: 681–689.
60. Tonelli M, Moyé L, Sacks FM et al. Pravastatin for secondary prevention of cardiovascular events in persons with mild chronic renal insufficiency. Ann Intern Med 2003; 138: 98–104.
61. Shepherd J, Kastelein JJ, Bittner V et al. Intensive lipid lowering with atorvastatin in patients with coronary heart disease and chronic kidney disease: the TNT (Treating to New Targets) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 1448–1454.
62. Holdaas H, Fellström B, Jardine AG et al. Effect of fluvastatin on cardiac outcomes in renal transplant recipients: a multicentre, randomised, placebo‑controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 2024–2031.
63. Winkler K, Wanner C, Drechsler C et al. Change in N‑terminal‑pro‑B‑type‑natriuretic‑peptide and the risk of sudden death, stroke, myocardial infarction, and all‑cause mortality in diabetic dialysis patients. Eur Heart J 2008. Epub ahead of print.
64. Krane V, Krieter DH, Olschewski M et al. Dialyzer membrane characteristic and outcome of patients with type 2 diabetes on maintenance hemodialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2007; 49: 267–275.
65. Krane V, Heinrich F, Meesmann M et al. Electrocardiography and outcome in patients with diabetes mellitus on maintenance hemodialysis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2009; 4: 394–400.
66. Krane V, Winkler K, Drechsler C et al. Effect of atorvastatin on inflammation and outcome in patients with type 2 diabetes on hemodialysis. Kidney Int 2008; 74: 1461–1467.
67. Fellström BC, Jardine AG, Schmieder RE et al. Rosuvastatin and cardiovascular events in patients undergoing hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1395–1407.
68. Collins R, Armitage J, Parish S et al. Heart Protection Study Collaborative Group. MRC/BHF heart protection study of cholesterol‑lowering with simvastatin in 5 963 people with diabetes: A randomised placebo‑controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 2005–2016.