1. NHS England [No date given] Board Paper: NHS Services, Seven Days a Week. Paper NHS121315. Redditch, United Kingdom. Available: http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/brd-dec-13.pdf. Accessed 03 July 2014.
2. CarrBG, ReillyPM, SchwabC, BranasCC, GeigerJ, et al. (2011) Weekend and night outcomes in a statewide trauma system. Archives of Surgery 146: 810–817.
3. KhannaR, WachsbergK, MarouniA, FeinglassJ, WilliamsMV, et al. (2011) The association between night or weekend admission and hospitalization-relevant patient outcomes. Journal of Hospital Medicine 6: 10–14.
4. ReillyJER, FargenJ, Walker-DanielsKK (2011) A Public Health Nursing Shortage. Am J Nurs 111: 11.
5. BrayBD, AyisS, CampbellJ, CloudGC, JamesM, et al. (2014) Associations between Stroke Mortality and Weekend Working by Stroke Specialist Physicians and Registered Nurses: Prospective Multicentre Cohort Study. PLoS Med 11(8): e1001705.
6. WallaceDJ, AngusDC, BarnatoAE, KramerAA, KahnJM (2012) Nighttime intensivist staffing and mortality among critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 366: 2093–2101.
7. GajicO, AfessaB, HansonAC, KrpataT, YilmazM, et al. (2008) Effect of 24-hour mandatory versus on-demand critical care specialist presence on quality of care and family and provider satisfaction in the intensive care unit of a teaching hospital. Crit Care Med 36: 36–44.
8. KerlinMP, SmallDS, CooneyE, FuchsBD, BelliniLM, et al. (2013) A randomized trial of nighttime physician staffing in an intensive care unit. N Engl J Med 368: 2201–2209.
9. KimMM, BarnatoAE, AngusDC, FleisherLA, KahnJM (2010) The effect of multidisciplinary care teams on intensive care unit mortality. Arch Intern Med 170: 369–376.
10. KaneRL, ShamliyanTA, MuellerC, DuvalS, WiltTJ (2007) The association of registered nurse staffing levels and patient outcomes: systematic review and meta-analysis. Med Care 45: 1195–1204.
11. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (March 2004) Hospital Nurse Staffing and Quality of Care: Research in Action. Issue 14. Rockville, MD. Available: http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/factsheets/services/nursestaffing/index.html. Accessed 05 July 2014.
12. American Association of Colleges of Nursing (24 April 2014) Nursing shortage. Washington, DC. Available: http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/fact-sheets/nursing-shortage. Accessed 05 July 2014.