1. Amos AF, McCarty DJ, Zimmet P. The rising global burden of diabetes and its complications: estimates and projections to the year 2010. Diabet Med 1997; 14 (Suppl 5): S1–S85.
2. Alberti KG, Zimmet PZ. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of WHO consultation. Diabet Med 1998; 15: 539–553.
3. Haffner SM, Lehto S, Rönnemaa T et al. Mortality from coronary heart disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes and in nondiabetic subjects with and without prior myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 229–234.
4. James SK, Lindahl B, Timmer JR et al. Usefulness of biomarkers for predicting long‑term mortality in patients with diabetes mellitus and non‑ST‑elevation acute coronary syndromes (a GUSTO IV substudy). Am J Cardiol 2006; 97: 167–172.
5. American Diabetes Association: standards of medical care for patients with diabetes mellitus (position statement). Diabetes Care 2002; 25: 213–229.
6. Cooper S, Caldwell JH. Coronary artery disease in people with diabetes: diagnostic and risk factor evaluation. Clin diabetes 1999; 17: 58–72.
7. Kaski JC. Dietary management of coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus. London, UK: The European Cardiologist 2004.
8. Smith SC Jr, Blair SN, Bonow RO et al. AHA/ACC Scientific statement. AHA/ACC Guidelines for preventing heart attack and death in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: 2001 update. A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology. Circulation 2001; 104: 1577–1579.
9. Laakso M. Cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes: challenge for treatment and prevention. J Intern Med 2001; 249: 225–235.
10. Klein L, Gheorghiade M. Management of the patient with diabetes mellitus and myocardial infarction: clinical trials update. Am J Med 2004; 116 (Suppl 5A): 47S–63S.
11. Braun S, Boyko V, Behar S et al. Calcium antagonists and mortality in patients with coronary artery disease: a cohort study of 11,575 patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996; 28: 7–11.
12. Fragasso G, Piatti Md PM, Monti L et al. Short- and long‑term beneficial effects of trimetazidine in patients with diabetes and ischemic cardiomyopathy. Am Heart J 2003; 146: E18.
13. Kasiske BL, Kalil RS, Ma JZ et al. Effect of antihypertensive therapy on the kidneys in patients with diabetes: a metaregression analysis. Ann Intern Med 1993; 118: 129–138.
14. Yusuf S, Zhao F, Mehta SR et al. Effects of clopidogrel in addition to aspirin in patients with acute coronary syndromes without ST segment elevation. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 494–502.
15. Bartnik M, Rydén L, Ferrari R et al. Euro Heart Survey Investigators. The prevalence of abnormal glucose regulation in patients with coronary artery disease across Europe. Eur Heart J 2004; 25: 1880–1890.
16. Tamita K, Katayama M, Takagi T et al. Impact of newly diagnosed abnormal glucose tolerance on long‑term prognosis in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Circ J 2007; 71: 834–841.
17. Bartnik M, Malmberg K, Norhammar A et al. Newly detected abnormal glucose tolerance: an important predictor of long term outcome after an acute myocardial infarction. Eur Heart J 2004; 25: 1990–1997.
18. Adler AI, Stratton IM, Neil HA et al. Association of systolic blood pressure with macrovascular and miacrovascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 36): prospective observational study. BMJ 2000; 321: 412–419.
19. Dagenais GR, Yusuf S, Bourassa MG et al. Effects of ramipril on coronary events in high risk persons : result of the Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study. Circulation 2001; 104: 522–526.
20. Fox KM. Efficacy of perindopril in reduction of cardioascular events among patients with stable coronary artery disease: randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial (the EUROPA study). Lancet 2003; 362: 782–788.
21. Wallhaus TR, Taylor M, DeGrado TR et al. Myocardial free fatty acid and glucose use after carvedilol treatment in patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation 2001; 103: 2441–2446.