Surveillance of chronic noninfectious diseases
; Ladislav Štěpánek
; Lubica Juríčková
; Jana Vlčková
; Helena Kollárová
Ústav veřejného zdravotnictví LF UP v Olomouci
Čas. Lék. čes. 2019; 158: 83-86
Surveillance is a comprehensive system of epidemiological work involving continuous collection, analysis and distribution of data on all characteristics of the disease. Among health professionals, surveillance in connection with noninfectious diseases is not as known as in infections where it has clearly proven successful.
The principle of epidemiological surveillance may be applied in chronic noninfectious diseases but certain pitfalls and differences between this category and infectious diseases need to be borne in mind. These diseases have multifactorial etiology; their development is contributed to by several risk factors, mainly those associated with lifestyle; they have a long preclinical period with no apparent problems; data on their prevalence in populations may vary depending on the definition and diagnostic criteria used.
Epidemiological surveillance as a continuous process aids in understanding the extent of the risk of a disease in a population, contributes to provision of early and effective care and control over their prevalence. The paper aims to describe the specific aspects of surveillance in chronic noninfectious diseases.
surveillance – noninfectious diseases – infectious diseases – epidemiology
- Göpfertová D, Pazdiora P, Dáňová J. Epidemiologie. Karolinum, Praha, 2013.
- Mayoral Cortes JM, Aragonés Sanz N, Godoy P et al. Chronic diseases as a priority for the public health surveillance system in Spain. Gac Sanit 2016; 30: 154–157.
- World Health Organization. Global strategy for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases. Dostupné na: www.who.int/nmh/publications/wha_resolution53_14/en
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Transferability of health promotion and health education approaches between non-communicable and communicable diseases. Dostupné na: https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/media/en/publications/Publications/transferability-of-health-promotion-2014.pdf
- Mendis S, Davis S, Norrving B. Organizational update: the world health organization global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2014; one more landmark step in the combat against stroke and vascular disease. Stroke 2015; 46: e121–122.
- Vernay M, Bonaldi C, Grémy I. Chronic diseases: recent trends, challenges and prospects for change. Santé Publique 2015; 27: S189–197.
- Silva JAAD, Costa EA, Lucchese G. Unified health system 30th birthday: health surveillance. Cien Saude Colet 2018; 23: 1953–1961.
- Bernal RTI, Iser BPM, Malta DC et al. Surveillance system for risk and protective factors for chronic diseases by telephone survey (Vigitel): changes in weighting methodology. Epidemiol Serv Saude 2017; 26: 701–712.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Dostupné na: www.cdc.gov/brfss/about/index.htm
- Birkhead GS. Successes and continued challenges of electronic health records for chronic disease surveillance. Am J Public Health 2017; 107: 1365–1367.
- Rosolová H. Předstadia nemocí: prehypertenze, prediabetes, kardiometabolický syndrom, preklinická ateroskleróza. In: Rosolová H a kol. Preventivní kardiologie. Axonite, Praha, 2013.
- Kučera Z, Pelikán J, Šteflová A. Zdravotní gramotnost obyvatel ČR – výsledky komparativního reprezentativního šetření. Časopis lékařů českých 2016, 155: 233–241.
- Golubnitschaja O, Costigliola V. General report & recommendations in predictive, preventive and personalised medicine 2012: white paper of the European Association for Predictive, Preventive and Personalised Medicine. EPMA J 2012; 3: 14.
- Perk J, De Backer G, Gohlke H. et al. European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (version 2012). Int J Behav Med 2012; 19: 403–488.
- Riley L, Guthold R, Cowan M. et al. The World Health Organization STEPwise approach to noncommunicable disease risk-factor surveillance: methods, challenges, and opportunities. Am J Public Health 2016; 106: 74–78.
- Šteflová A. Editorial. Časopis lékařů českých 2016; 155: 228.
Allergology and clinical immunology
Dermatology & STDs