1. McCowen KC, Malhotra A, Bistrian BR. Stress-induced hyperglycemia. Crit Care Clin 2001; 17: 107–124.
2. Gustavson SM, Chu CA, Nishizawa M. Interaction of glucagon and epinephrine in the control of hepatic glucose production in the conscious dog. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2003; 284: 695–707.
3. Watt MJ, Howlett KF, Febraio MA. Adrenaline increases skeletal muscle glycogeolysis, pyruvate dehydrogenase activation and carbohydrate oxidation during moderate exercise in humans. J Physiol 2001; 534: 269–278.
4. Dresner A, Laurent D, Marcucci M. Effects of free fatty acids on glucose transport and IRS-1-associated phosphatidylinositol 3‑kinase activity. J Clin Invest 1999; 103: 253–259.
5. Lang CH, Dobrescu C, Mészáros K. Insulin mediated glucose uptake by individual tissues during sepsis. Metabolism 1990; 39: 1096–1107.
6. Esposito K, Nappo F, Marfella R. Inflammatory cytokine concentrations are increased by hyperglycemia in humans: Role of oxidative stress. Circulation 2002; 106: 2067–2072.
7. Verma S, Maitland A, Weisel RD. Hyperglycemia exaggerates ischemia-reperfusioninducedcardiomyocyte injury: reversal with endothelin antagonism. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2002; 123: 1120–1124.
8. Kehl F, Krolikowski JG, Mraovic B. Hyperglycemia prevents isoflurane-induced preconditioning against myocardial infarction. Anesthesiology 2002; 96: 183–188.
9. Krogh-Madsen R, Moller K, Dela F. Effect of hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia on the response of IL-6, TNF-alpha, and FFAs to low-dose endotoxemia in humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2004; 286: 766–772.
10. Rassias AJ, Givan AL, Marrin CA. Insulin increases neutrophil count and phagocytic capacity after cardiac surgery. Anesth Analg 2002; 94(5): 1113–1119.
11. Ellger B, Debaveye Y, Vanhorebeek I. Survival benefits of intensive insulin therapy in critical illness: Impact of maintaining normoglycemia versus glycemia-independent actions of insulin. Diabetes 2006; 55: 1096–1105.
12. Marfella R, Quagliaro L, Nappo F. Acute hyperglycemia induces an oxidative stress in healthy subjects. J Clin Invest 2001; 108: 635–636.
13. Van Den Berghe G, Wouters P, Weekers F. Intensive insulin therapy in the critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1359–1367.
14. Butler SO, Btaiche IF, Alaniz C. Relationship between hyperglycemia and infection in critically ill patients. Pharmacotherapy 2005, 25: 963–976.
15. Van Den Berghe G, Wilmer A, Hermans G. Intensive insulin therapy in the medical ICU. N Engl J Med 2006; 354(5): 449–461.
16. Schetz M, Vanhorebeek I, Wouters PJ. Tight blood glucose control is renoprotective in critically ill patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2008; 19: 571–578.
17. Stead LG, Gilmore RM, Bellolio MF. Hyperglycemia as an independent predictor of worse outcome in nondiabetic patients presenting with acute ischemic stroke. Neurocritic Care 2009; 10(2): 181–186.
18. Rovlias A, Kotsou S. The influence of hyperglycemia on neurological outcome in patients with severe head injury. Neurosurgery 2000; 46: 335–342.
19. Dungan KM, Braithwaite SS, Preiser JC. Stress hyperglycaemia. Lancet 2009; 373: 1798–1807.
20. Van Den Berghe G, Wouters PJ, Bouillon R. Outcome benefit of intensive insulin therapy in the critically ill: Insulin dose versus glycemic control. Crit Care Med 2003; 31: 359–366.
21. Brunkhorst FM, Engel C, Bloos F. Intensive insulin therapy and pentastarch resuscitation in severe sepsis. N Engl J Med 2008; 358: 125–139.
22. Preiser JC, Devos P, Ruiz-Santana S. A prospective randomised multi–centre controlled trial on tight glucose control by intensive insulin therapy in adult intensive care units: the Glucontrol study. Intensive Care Med 2009; 35: 1738–1748.
23. NICE-SUGAR Study Investigators, Finfer S, Chittock DR, Su SY. Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1283–1297.
24. Vriesendorp TM, Van Santen S, Devries JH. Predisposing factors for hypoglycemia in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Med 2006; 34: 96–101.
25. Hermanides J, Bosman RJ, Vriesendorp TM. Hypoglycemia is associated with intensive care unit mortality. Crit Care Med 2010; 38: 1430–1434.
26. Suh SW, Gum ET, Hamby AM. Hypoglycemic neuronal death is triggered by glucose reperfusion and activation of neuronal NADPH oxidase. J Clin Invest 2007, 117: 910–918.
27. Egi M, Bellomo R, Stachowski, E. Variability of blood glucose concentration and shortterm mortality in critically ill patients. Anesthesiology 2006; 105: 244–252.
28. Hermanides J, Vriesendorp TM, Bosman RJ. Glucose variability is associated with intensive care unit mortality. Crit Care Med 2010; 38: 838–842.
29. Egi M, Bellomo R, Stachowski E. Blood glucose concentration and outcome of critical illness: The impact of diabetes. Crit Care Med 2008; 36: 2249–2255.
30. Blaha J, Kopecky P, Matias M. Comparison of three protocols for tight glycemic control in cardiac surgery patients. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 757–761.
31. Ichai C, Preiser JC, Sfar SF. International recommendations for glucose control in adult non diabetic critically ill patients. Crit Care 2010; 14(5): R166.