1. Moudrianakis EN, Beer M. A selective reagent for the study of base sequence in nucleic acids. Nature 1964; 204: 685–686.
2. Sanger F, Nicklen S, Coulson AR. DNA sequencing with chain-terminating inhibitors. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1977; 74: 5463–5467.
3. Sanger F, Air GM, Barrell BG, et al. Nucleotide sequence of bacteriophage phi X174 DNA. Nature 1977; 265: 687–695.
4. Maxam AM, Gilbert W. A new method for sequencing DNA. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1977; 74: 560–564.
5. Smith LM, Sanders JZ, Kaiser RJ, et al. Fluorescence detection in automated DNA sequence analysis. Nature 1986; 321: 674–679.
6. Ansorge W, Sproat B, Stegemann J, et al. Automated DNA sequencing: ultrasensitive detection of fluorescent bands during electrophoresis. Nucleic Acids Res 1987; 15: 4593–4602.
7. Bashkin JS, Bartosiewicz M, Roach D, et al. Implementation of a capillary array electrophoresis instrument. J Capillary Ellectrophoresis 1996; 3: 61–68.
8. Fleischmann RD, Adams MD, White O, et al. Whole-genome random sequencing and assembly of Haemophilus influenzae Rd. Science 1995; 269: 496–512.
9. Adams MD, Celniker SE, Holt RA, et al. The genome sequence of Drosophila melanogaster. Science 2000; 287: 2185–2195.
10. Weber JL, Myers EW. Human whole-genome shotgun sequencing. Genome Res 1997; 7: 401–409.
11. Venter JC, Adams MD, Myers EW, et al. The sequence of the human genome. Science 2001; 291: 1304–1351.
12. Lander ES, Linton LM, Birren B, et al. International Human Genome Sequencing Consortium: Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome. Nature 2001; 409: 860–921.
13. The ENCODE Project Consortium: Identification and analysis of functional elements in 1% of the human genome by the ENCODE pilot project. Nature 2007; 447: 799–816.
14. Levy S, Sutton G, Ng PC, et al. The diploid genome sequence of an individual human. PloS Biol 2007; 5: 254–286.
15. Wheeler DA, Srinivasan M, Egholm M, et al. The complete genome of an individual by massively parallel DNA sequencing. Nature 2008; 452: 872–877.
16. Kidd JM, Cooper GM, Donahue WF, et al. Mapping and sequencing of structural variation from eight human genomes. Nature 2008; 453: 56–64.
17. Wang J, Wang W, Li R, et al. The diploid genome sequence of an Asian individual. Nature 2008; 456: 60–65.
18. Ley TJ, Mardis ER, Ding L, et al. DNA sequencing of a cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukaemia genome. Nature 2008; 456 7218: 66–72.
19. Mardis ER. The impact of next-generation sequencing technology on genetics. Trends Genet 2008; 24: 133–141.
20. Pettersson E, Lundeberg J, Ahmadian A. Generations of sequencing technologies. Genomics 2009; 93: 105–111.