1. Cox D, Maree AO, Dooley M et al. Effect of enteric coating on antiplatelet activity of low-dose aspirin in healthy volunteers. Stroke 2006; 37: 2153–2158.
2. Charlot M, Grove EL, Hansen PR et al. Proton pump inhibitor use and risk of adverse cardiovascular events in aspirin treated patients with first time myocardial infarction: nationwide propensity score matched study. BMJ 2011; 342: d2690.
3. Baigent C, Blackwell L, Collins R et al. Antithrombotic Trialists‘ (ATT) Collaboration. Aspirin in the primary and secondary prevention of vascular disease: collaborative meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials. Lancet 2009; 373: 1849–1860.
4. Gubitz G, Counsell C, Sandercock P et al. Anticoagulants for acute ischaemic stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2000; (2): CD000024.
5. Costa J, Ferro JM, Matias-Guiu J et al. Triflusal for preventing serious vascular events in people at high risk. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 3: CD004296.
6. Hart RC, Pearce LA, Aguilar MI. Meta-analysis: antithrombotic therapy to prevent stroke in patients who have nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 857–867.
7. Connolly S, Pogue J, Hart R et al. ACTIVE Writing Group of the ACTIVE Investigators. Clopidogrel plus aspirin versus oral anticoagulation for atrial fibrillation in the Atrial fibrillation Clopidogrel Trial with Irbesartan for prevention of Vascular Events (ACTIVE W): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2006; 367: 1903–1912.
8. CAPRIE Steering Committee. A randomised, blinded, trial of clopidogrel versus aspirin in patients at risk of ischaemic events (CAPRIE). Lancet 1996; 348: 1329–1339.
9. Diener HC, Bogousslavsky J, Brass LM et al. MATCH Investigators. Aspirin and clopidogrel compared with clopidogrel alone after recent ischaemic stroke or transient ischaemic attack in high-risk patients (MATCH): randomised, double-blind, placebo--controlled trial. Lancet 2004; 364: 331–337.
10. Bhatt DL, Fox KA, Hacke W et al. CHARISMA Investigators. Clopidogrel and aspirin versus aspirin alone for the prevention of atherothrombotic events. N Engl J Med 2006; 354: 1706–1717.
11. Diener HC, Cunha L, Forbes C et al. European Stroke Prevention Study. 2. Dipyridamole and acetylsalicylic acid in the secondary prevention of stroke. J Neurol Sci 1996; 143: 1–13.
12. Rocca B, Petrucci G. Variability in the responsiveness to low-dose aspirin: pharmacological and disease-related mechanisms. Thrombosis 2012; 2012: 376721.
13. Halkes PH, van Gijn J, Kappelle LJ et al. ESPRIT Study Group. Aspirin plus dipyridamole versus aspirin alone after cerebral ischaemia of arterial origin (ESPRIT): randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2006; 367: 1665–1673.
14. Tirschwell D. Aspirin plus dipyridamole was more effective than aspirin alone for preventing vascular events after minor cerebral ischemia. ACP J Club 2006; 145: 57.
15. De Schryver EL, Algra A, van Gijn J. Dipyridamole for preventing stroke and other vascular events in patients with vascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007; 3: CD001820.
16. Sacco RL, Diener HC, Yusuf S et al. Aspirin and extended-release dipyridamole versus clopidogrel for recurrent stroke. N Engl J Med 2008; 359: 1238–1251.
17. Schneck MJ. Understanding the PRoFESS Study for Secondary Stroke Prevention. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2009; 11: 221–231.
18. Matsumoto M. Cilostazol in secondary prevention of stroke: impact of the Cilostazol Stroke Prevention Study. Atheroscler Suppl 2005; 6: 33–40.
19. Shinohara Y, Katayama Y, Uchiyama S et al. Cilostazol for prevention of secondary stroke (CSPS 2): an aspirin-controlled, double-blind, randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9: 959–968.
20. Huang Y, Cheng Y, Wu J et al. Cilostazol as an alternative to aspirin after ischaemic stroke: a randomised, double-blind, pilot study. Lancet Neurol 2008; 7: 494–499.
21. Lansberg MG, O’Donnell MJ, Khatri P et al. Antithrombotic and thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2012; 141 (Suppl 2): e601S–e636S.
22. SPS3 Investigators. Benavente OR, Hart RG, McClure LA et al. Effects of clopidogrel added to aspirin in patients with recent lacunar stroke. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 817–825.