1. Zimskind PD, Fetter TR, Wilkerson JL. Clinical use of long-term indwelling silicone rubber ureteral splints inserted cystoscopically. J Urol 1967; 97(5): 840–844.
2. Nabi G, Cook J, N'Dow J et al. Outcomes of stenting after uncomplicated ureteroscopy: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2007; 334(7593): 572.
3. www.hesonline.nhs.uk – Hospital Episode Statistics HES online, NHS information centre.
4. Tolley D. Ureteric stents, far from ideal. Lancet 2000; 356(9233): 872–873.
5. Joshi HB, Stainthorpe A, MacDonagh RP et al. Indwelling ureteral stents: evaluation of symptoms, quality of life and utility. J Urol 2003; 169(3): 1065–1069.
6. Denstedt JD, Wollin TA, Sofer M et al. A prospective randomized controlled trial comparing nonstented versus stented ureteroscopic lithotripsy. J Urol 2001; 165(5): 1419–1422.
7. Auge BK, Sarvis JA, L'esperance JO et al. Practice patterns of ureteral stenting after routine ureteroscopic stone surgery: a survey of practicing urologists. J Endourol 2007; 21(11): 1287–1291.
8. Djaladat H, Tajik P, Payandemehr P et al. Ureteral catheterization in uncomplicated ureterolithotripsy: a randomized, controlled trial. Eur Urol 2007; 52(3): 836–841.
9. Tanriverdi O, Yencilek F, Sarica K. Emergent stenting after uncomplicated ureteroscopy: evaluation of 23 patients Urology 2011; 77(2): 305–308.
10. Kawahara T, Ito H, Terao H et al. Ureteral stent encrustation, incrustation and colouring: morbidity related to indwelling times. J Endourol 2012; 26(2): 178–182.
11. Joshi HB. Ureteral stent encrustation, incrustation and colouring: morbidity related to indwelling times J Endourology 2012; 26(7): 924–925.
12. Canales BK, Higgins L, Markowski T et al. Presence of five conditioning film proteins are highly associated with early stent encrustation. J Endourol 2009; 23(9): 1437–1442.
13. Vanderbrink BA, Rastinehad AR, Ost MC et al. Encrusted urinary stents: evaluation and endourologic management. J Endourol 2008; 22(5): 905–912.
14. Sancaktutar AA, Tepeler A, Söylemez H et al. A solution for medical and legal problems arising from forgotten ureteral stents: initial results from a reminder short message service (SMS). Urol Res 2012; 40(3): 253–258.
15. Joshi HB, Newns N, Stainthorpe A et al. Ureteral Stent Symptom Questionnaire: Development and validation of a multidimensional quality of life measure. J Urol 2003; 169(3): 1060–1064.
16. Lingeman JE, Preminger GM, Segura JW et al. Use of a temporary ureteral drainage stent (TUDS) after uncomplicated ureteroscopy. J Urol 2003; 169(5): 1682–1688.
17. Tenke P, Riedl CR, Jones GL et al. Bacterial biofilm formation on urologic devices and heparin coating as preventive strategy. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2004; 23 (Suppl 1): S67–74.
18. Carlos E, Mendez-Probst LW, Goneau KW et al. The use of Triclosan eluting stents effectively reduces ureteral stents symptoms: a prospective randomized trial. BJU Int 2012; 110(5): 749–754.
19. Beiko BT, Knudsen BE, Denstedt JD. Advances in ureteral stent design. J Endourol 2003; 17(4): 195–199.
20. Lennon GM, Thornhill JA, Sweeney PA et al. ‘Firm’ versus ‘soft’ double pigtail ureteric stents: a randomised blind comparative trial. Eur Urol 1995; 28(1): 1–5.
21. Joshi HB, Chitale SV, Nagarajan M et al. A prospective randomized single-blind comparison of ureteral stents composed of firm and soft polymer. J Urol 2005; 174(6): 2303–2306.
22. Davenport K, Kumar V, Collins J et al. Prospective randomized trial the Bard Inlay ureteric stent with the Boston Scientific Polaris stent using the validated ureteric stent symptom questionnaire. BJU Int 2008; 101(5): 52.
23. Lee C, Kuskowski M, Premoli J et al. Randomized evaluation of ureteral stents using validated symptom questionnaire. J Endourol 2005; 19(8): 990–993.
24. El-Nahas AR, El-Assmy AM, Shoma AM et al. Self-retaining ureteral stents: Analysis of factors responsible for patient discomfort. J Endourol 2006; 20(1): 33–37.
25. Erturk E, Sessions A, Joseph JV. The impact of ureteral stent diameter and symptoms on tolerability. J Endourol 2003; 17(2): 59–62.
26. Ho CH, Chen SC, Chung SD et al. Determining the appropriate length of a double-pigtail ureteral stent by both stent configurations and related symptoms. J Endourol 2008; 22(7): 1427–1431.
27. Al-Kandari AM, Al-Shaiji TF, Shaaban H et al. Effects of proximal and distal ends of double-J ureteral stent position on post procedural symptoms and quality of life: a randomized clinical trial. J Endourol 2007; 21(7): 698–702.
28. Dunn MD, Portis AJ, Kahn SA et al. Clinical effectiveness of new stent design: Randomized single-blind comparison of tail and double pigtail stents. J Endourol 2000; 14(2): 195–202.
29. Lingeman JE, Preminger GM, Goldfischer ER et al. Assessing the Impact of Ureteral Stent Design on Patient Comfort. J Urol 2009; 181(6): 2581–2587.
30. Olweny EO, Portis AJ, Sundaram CP et al. Evaluation of a chronic indwelling prototype mesh ureteral stent in a porcine model. Urology 2000; 56(5): 857–862.
31. Krebs A, Deane LA, Borin JF et al. The 'buoy' stent: evaluation of a prototype indwelling ureteric stent in a porcine model. BJU Int 2009; 104(1): 88–89.
32. Lange D, Hoag NA, Poh BK et al. Drainage characteristics of the 3F MicroStent using a novel film occlusion anchoring mechanism. J Endourol 2011; 25(6): 1051–1056.
33. Ecke TH, Bartel P, Hallmann S et al. Evaluation of symptoms and patients' comfort for JJ-ureteral stents with and without antireflux-membrane valve. J Urology 2010; 75(1): 212–216.
34. Gupta M, Patel T, Xavier K et al. Prospective randomized evaluation of periureteral botulinum toxin type A injection for ureteral stent pain reduction. J Urol 2010; 183(2): 598–602.
35. Beiko DT, Watterson JD, Knudsen BE et al. Double-blind randomized controlled trial assessing the safety and efficacy of intravesical agents for ureteral stent symptoms after extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy. J Endourol 2004; 18(8): 723–730.
36. Norris RD, Sur RL, Springhart WP et al. A prospective, randomized, double-blinded placebo-controlled comparison of extended release oxybutinin versus phenazopyridine for the management of postoperative ureteral stent discomfort. Urology 2008; 71(5): 792–795.
37. Deliveliotis C, Chrisofos M, Gougousis E et al. Is there a role for alpha1-blockers in treating double-J stent-related symptoms? Urology 2006; 67(1): 35–39.
38. Davenport K, Keeley FX Jr., Timoney AG. A comparative in vitro study to determine the beneficial effect of calcium-channel and alpha (1)-adrenoceptor antagonism on human ureteric activity. BJU Int 2006; 98(3): 651–655.
39. Beddingfield R, Pedro RN, Hinck B et al. Alfuzosin to releave ureteral stent discomfort: A prospective, randomized, placebo controlled study. J Urol 2009; 181(1): 170–176.
40. Damiano R, Autorino R, de Sio M et al. Effect of tamsulosin in preventing ureteral stent-related morbidity: A prospective study. J Endourol 2008; 22(4): 651–656.
41. Wang CJ, Huang SW, Chang CH. Effects of specific alpha-1A/1D blocker on lower urinary tract symptoms due to double-J stent: A prospectively randomized study. Urol Res 2009; 37(3): 147–152.
42. Park SC, Jung SW, Lee JW et al. The effects of tolterodine extended release and alfuzosin for the treatment of double-j stent-related symptoms. J Endourol 2009; 23(11): 1913–1917.
43. Alastair D, Lamb, Sarah L et al. Wiseman: Meta-analysis showing the beneficial effect of blockers on ureteric stent discomfort BJU Int 2011; 10(8): 1894–1902.
44. Yakoubi R, Lemdani M, Monga M et al. Is There a Role for alpha-Blockers in Ureteral Stent Related Symptoms? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis: J Urol 2011; 186(3): 928–934.
45. Krambeck AE, Walsh RS, Denstedt JD et al. A novel drug eluting ureteral stent: a prospective, randomized, multicenter clinical trial to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of a ketorolac loaded ureteral stent. J Urol 2010; 183(3): 1037–1042.
46. Joshi HB, Newns N, Stainthorpe A et al. The development and validation of a patient-information booklet on ureteric stents. BJU Int 2001; 88(4): 329–334.