1. Bager P, Melbye M, Rostgaard K et al. Mode of delivery and risk of allergic rhinitis and asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 111: 51–56.
2. Bellanti JA, Malka-Rais J, Castro HJ et al. Developmental immunology: clinical application to allergy-immunology. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2003; 90 (Suppl 3): 2–6.
3. Bolte G, Schmidt M, Maziak W et al. The relation of markers of fetal growth with asthma, allergies and serum immunoglobulin E levels in children at age 5–7 years. Clin Experim Allergy 2004; 34: 381–388.
4. Brown M, Gustafson M, Saldana S et al. Correlation of human decidual and cord blood mononuclear cell cytokine production. Human Immunol 2004; 65: 1336–1343.
5. Downs SH, Marks GB, Sporik R et al. Continued increase in the prevalence of asthma and atopy. Arch Dis Child 2001; 84: 20–23.
6. Eggesbo M, Botten G, Stigum H et al. Is delivery by caesarean section a risk factor for food allergy? J Allergy Clin Immunol 2003; 112: 420–426.
7. Hesselmar B, Dahlgren J, Wennergen G et al. Born small for gestational age: relation to future allergy and asthma. Acta Pediatr 2002; 91: 992–994.
8. Hikino S, Nakayama H, Yamamoto J et al. Food allergy and atopic dermatitis in low birthweight infants during early childhood. Acta Pediatr 2001; 90: 850–855.
9. Holt PG, Sly PD. Interaction between respiratory tract infections and atopy in the aethiology of asthma. Eur Respir J 2002; 19: 538–545.
10. Hopkin JM. Early life receipt of antibiotics and atopic disorder. Clinical Experimental Allergy 1999; 29: 733–734.
11. Kerkhof M, Koopman LP, van Strien RT et al. Risk factors for atopic dermatitis in infants at high risk of allergy: the PIAMA study. Clin Experim Allergy 2003; 33: 1336–1341.
12. Koppen S, de Groot R, Neijens HJ et al. No epidemiological evidence for infant vaccinations to cause allergic disease. Vaccine 2004; 22: 3375–3385.
13. Lewis SA, Britton JR. Consistent effects of high socioeconomic status and low birth order, and the modifying effect of maternal smoking on the risk of allergic disease during childhood. Respir Med 1998; 92: 1237–1244.
14. Niegele K, Heinrich J, Borte M et al. Mode of delivery and development of atopic disease during the first 2 years of life. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2004; 15: 48–54.
15. Rabby BA, Celedon JC, Litonjua AA et al. Low-normal gestational age as a predictor of asthma at 6 years of age. Pediatrics 2004; 114: E327–E332.
16. Siltanen M, Kajosaari M, Pohjavuori M et al. Prematurity at birth reduces long‑term risk of atopy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001; 107: 229–234.
17. Strachan DS. Family size, infection and atopy: the first decade of the „hygiene hypothesis“. Thorax 2000; 55 (Suppl 1): S2–S10.