Comprehensive Solution of Vertiginous Conditions by Functional Methods: Posturo- graphy and Vestibular Rehabilitation


Authors: M. Lejska
Authors‘ workplace: AUDIO-Fon centr, Brno, vedoucí MUDr. M. Lejska, CSc.
Published in: Otorinolaryng. a Foniat. /Prague/, , 1998, No. 4, pp. 212-221.
Category:

Overview

Vertigo is after headache the second most frequent general symptom of impaired human health. In only some 20 % of patients an organic cause of the condition can be found. In the remaining 80 % inorganic functional vertigo is involved, in particular in the sense of impaired central integration of different balanced subsystems (vestibular, visual, somatosensory). Using otoneurological examination, the functional evaluation of the vertiginous condition and its dia- gnostic and therapeutic categorization is made: vestibulopathies, disbalance, benign positional paroxysmal vertigo (BPPV). Posturography is a functional examination method of vertiginous conditions where the movement of the patient’s centre of gravity is recorded. The method does not evaluate the cause but the quantity and external manifestations of vertigo. Posturography is essential for the objectivization of vertigo and monitoring of therapeutic procedures. We evaluate the pathway and area of spontaneous balance, the magnitude and vector of balance and Romberg’s test. The author presents basic posturographic parameters in different diagnostic and therapeutic categories of vertigo. Vestibular rehabilitation is a set of exercises with the objective to harmonize the function of all three subsystems of equilibrium. The method is based on the compensatory capacity of the organism: adaptation and substitution. Special positioning manoeuvres have a therapeutic effect on BPPV. Every diagnostic and therapeutic category corresponds to a certain type of vestibular rehabilitati- on.

Key words:
functional vertigo, theory, posturography, vestibular rehabilitation.

Full text is not available online.
If interested in a scan of this journal, contact NTO ČLS JEP.

Labels
Audiology Paediatric ENT ENT (Otorhinolaryngology)
Login
Forgotten password

Don‘t have an account?  Create new account

Forgotten password

Enter the email address that you registered with. We will send you instructions on how to set a new password.

Login

Don‘t have an account?  Create new account