1. Addison T. On the constitutional and local effects of the supra-renal capsules. Samuel Highley, London UK, 1855.
2. Bensing S, Hulting AL, Husebye ES et al. Epidemiology, quality of life and complications of primary adrenal insufficiency: a review. Eur J Endocrinol 2016; 175: R107–116.
3. Stewart PM, Newell-Price JDC. The adrenal cortex. In: Melmed S, Polonsky KS, Reed Larsen P, Kronenberg HM (eds.). Williams Textbook of Endocrinology (13th ed.). Elsevier, Philadelphia, 2016: 489–588.
4. Arlt W and Society for Endocrinology Clinical Committee. Emergency management of acute adrenal insufficiency (adrenal crisis) in adult patients. Endocr Connect 2016; 5: G1–G3.
5. Bornstein SR, Allolio B, Arlt W et al. Diagnosis and treatment of primary adrenal insufficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2015; 101: 364–389.
6. Yanase T, Tajima T, Katabami T et al. Diagnosis and treatment of adrenal insufficiency including adrenal crisis: a Japan Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Endocr J 2016; 63: 765–784.
7. Husebye ES, Allolio B, Arlt W et al. Consensus statement on the diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of patients with primary adrenal insufficiency. J Intern Med 2014; 275: 104–115.