Intoxication with Mushroom Cortinarius orellanus


Authors: V. Bednářová;  B. Bodláková;  D. Pelclová 1;  S. Sulková
Authors‘ workplace: Interní oddělení Strahov 1. LF UK a VFN, Praha Klinika nemocí z povolání 1. LF UK a VFN, Praha
Published in: Čas. Lék. čes. 1999; : 119-121
Category:

Overview

The authors present the case-records of three patients who became intoxicated with the mushroom Cortinariusorellanus. This mushroom is very rare in this country and is not well known. The toxin orellanin is solely nephrotoxicand renal affection can lead to acute renal failure.A specific feature of this intoxication is the symptom-free period from 2 to 21 days, gastrointestinal complaintsassociated with back pain. The diagnosis can be established from a mycological analysis or by estimation of toxinin serum or tissue obtained by renal biopsy. The basis of treatment is disposal of the toxin by extracorporealelimination methods: haemodialysis and haemoperfusion. As with the length of the interval between intoxicationand onset of treatment the probability of irreversible renal affection increases, the medical community should takeinto consideration possible intoxication with this mushroom in the differential diagnosis of acute renal failure.

Key words:
intoxication, mushroom, Cortinarius orellanus.

Full text is not available online.
If interested in a scan of this journal, contact NTO ČLS JEP.

Labels
Addictology Allergology and clinical immunology Angiology Audiology Clinical biochemistry Dermatology & STDs Paediatric gastroenterology Paediatric surgery Paediatric cardiology Paediatric neurology Paediatric ENT Paediatric psychiatry Paediatric rheumatology Diabetology Pharmacy Vascular surgery Pain management fenix.admin.empty
Login
Forgotten password

Don‘t have an account?  Create new account

Forgotten password

Enter the email address that you registered with. We will send you instructions on how to set a new password.

Login

Don‘t have an account?  Create new account